Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Why such limited BA redemptions in First and Business globally ?

• sxparkin 54 posts

Looking out to next year very little in either class – understand BA is reducing number of seats in First as per recent articles & flying less planes so each is full(ish) – but looking out for USA and Asia – so little ? Any clues here ? What do you do with all you companion flights due to expire and Avios earned by being faithful ? Yes – a few dates in odd places but pretty pathetic IMO

Froggee 896 posts

Well, people have booked the seats that BA released because they are mad keen to travel.

And because of all this pent up demand people are paying BA silly money in cash for flights and despite the obscene fees on award seats, cash fares are even more crazy nuts. Heck I know someone who just flew to the States in J on a £11,000 fare. Obv he wasn’t paying but BA like that price more than than the revenue they make on award seats.

Hbommie 194 posts

Asia is a struggle with no flights to BKK and SIN being grabbed for travel to Australia, USA travel should be easier, seatspy is your friend.

Dates and destination preference would help to help you.

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

Well there’s no guarantee of F redemptions so I view any that do appear as a bonus. I have IAD and BOS booked in F with 2 of our remaining extended 241s and the 3rd is taking us to GCM at Easter in J as that route is very expensive for cash. Barclays voucher used for LAS in June. So there is plenty of availability if you can be flexible with destinations (especially travelling west) – if your requirements are very specific you are probably going to find the avios game frustrating rather than fun.
    I’m very happy with my bookings for the next 10 months as cash prices are ridiculous, as noted by @Froggee!

VerdantBacon 141 posts

Asia is one of the most popular redemption routes and as mentioned SIN is the only option. USA some destinations do have fairly decent availability. But you’ll be battling with everyone who wants to make the most out of their 241s just as you want to, to get to Asia. Next year we’ve got 2 241 redemptions in F, to SYD and an open jaw to USA.

If you compare to other programs, BA’s is on the easier side when it comes to finding redemption availability

RK228 204 posts

We enjoy going to Asian destinations, so the few routes and limited seat availability mean that BA have become much less attractive for us. We do have a trip booked to Japan next year in CW with Amex 241, but we will let our other vouchers expire and primarily cash out our Avios via Nectar going forward, save for potentially some short-haul flights with One World partners (e.g., JAL, MH, etc.).

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

Is it not possible to make an itinerary out of the destinations BA still flies to in Asia with connecting flights to other destinations? A quick look at
    SeatSpy shows very good availability to Mumbai, Hyderabad, Chennai, Delhi, Shanghai and Beijing in J (ok, those last two might be a bit unreliable) as well as various Middle Eastern destinations with good onward links.

Between Strictly dances earlier I worked out the current cash price of my 4 upcoming award bookings. I’m no apologist for BA surcharges but the total was £26,552, which gave me a slight glow of satisfaction (even though all four trips are to destinations which use the US $ so we might be living off Cuppa Soup. Might actually lose weight on holiday for a change 😂)

yorkieflyer 259 posts

Flights via India are quite problematic due to the complexity and cost of visas

Mandy 43 posts

Totally agree, I’m really struggling to use 2 241 companion vouchers expiring Feb and Aug 2023 but restricted to school holidays and flying from Edi so not a huge amount of choice long haul or using RFS.

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

All my current bookings are in the school holidays – are you set on a specific destination? But even pre-pandemic it was necessary to book very early for school holidays, so it depends when you’re looking at as well. I know Easter is a wasteland for avios seats now so February is probably even worse!

Mandy 43 posts

All my current bookings are in the school holidays – are you set on a specific destination? But even pre-pandemic it was necessary to book very early for school holidays, so it depends when you’re looking at as well. I know Easter is a wasteland for avios seats now so February is probably even worse!

Not looking at anywhere in particular (other than warmer than here!). Pretty much restricted to Christmas holidays, Feb break or 1st week of Easter holidays as summer already taken care of. But only have around 150K avios left for 3 of us. Thinking about maybe business one way and economy one way (longhaul) which will help with availability and lack of avios and maybe an RFS to Europe from EDI.

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

With a 241 you’d need at least 160k avios for a peak long haul trip for 3 of you going out in CW and back in economy. If you can travel on the lower priced off peak dates around the school holidays it would be less avios. I booked all my flights at T-355 and I looked at changing a couple of them recently but the dates are just devoid of alternatives now! Have you tried the search tool on SeatSpy which shows you where there is availability for your requirements?

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

I’ve just had a quick look at southern Europe for Feb 11/12 – 18/19 (presuming that’s your half term) and Gibraltar has CE seats available, this would probably be the warmest option. We were in that area last Feb and it was 24 C! You could stay in Gib or drive into Spain where accommodation would be cheaper. I don’t know if you know that region but there’s fantastic food and scenery and loads to do.

Mandy 43 posts

I’ve just had a quick look at southern Europe for Feb 11/12 – 18/19 (presuming that’s your half term) and Gibraltar has CE seats available, this would probably be the warmest option. We were in that area last Feb and it was 24 C! You could stay in Gib or drive into Spain where accommodation would be cheaper. I don’t know if you know that region but there’s fantastic food and scenery and loads to do.

Are there direct flights from Edinburgh? I can’t see any. Dates would have to be between 9-14th Feb. Thinking might convert 50K to nectar and maybe just take a trip to London with the rest.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.