Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Worth paying for CW reserved seats BA A380?

• dmm27 55 posts

We have secured flights to SIN in November using Barclays upgrade vouchers. Because we had vouchers on each of our accounts, our reservations are in different PNRs. Although they are “linked”, BA have confirmed that we won’t automatically be allocated seats together and have recommended prebooking our seats, rather than waiting until 24hrs when OLCI opens. We have domestic connections, so I think that means we can do OLCI 24hrs before the domestic and get a head start on the longhaul sector on the way out. So my questions…

Given that the A380 has a decent sized CW cabin, based on others experience, how likely are we to not get seated together? Happy for one of us to have to climb over the other, but getting stuck in the middle of the centre 4 would be annoying. (I know you can’t predict it)

The other thought is do the status match to Jordanian which would only give us Bronze equivalent but that would then give us 7 day seat selection which seems to be worth it for the $50
    TIA

NorthernLass 7,601 posts

On my last few flights the international leg didn’t open up for OLCI until T-24, regardless of the domestic connection time, they seem to have changed that since the pandemic.

I think that the CW cabins are likely to be fairly busy – there are websites where you can check how many seats have been taken but they may need a subscription?

With 2 bookings, you’d both need to be Bronze to be able to select your seats at T-7.

Froggee 900 posts

I’d say it is very likely that you won’t be sat together. It’s probably probable that you will be put in a middle seat next to someone you don’t know. And will have to clamber over someone you don’t know to go make peepee.

Whether it is worth paying the best part of £400 or whatever they charge for this now is up to you.

You should be able to do a dummy “book a seat” and see whether there are any particularly juicy pairs available although, of course, they charge more for these.

There is also the theory that if you don’t have an allocated seat you are more likely to get bumped.

Ihar 129 posts

Having to pay for a CW seat is just criminal. It’s Disney “nickel and dime” stuff. No-one flying CW is short of a few quid, but it doesn’t mean they want BA to put their hand in your pants and steal a few quid.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,089 posts

No one is forced to pay to select a seat. It’s priced so high so as to be a deterrent but BA will take your money (or avios) should you wish to pay.

This has been the situation for over 15 years.

memesweeper 1,256 posts

To take a contrarian view, the middle seats are ideal for a couple, and there are two “exits”, so double the chance one of your travelling companions isn’t in bed mode when you need to move. Yes, you may not be seated together when you board, but if either one of you is next to a solo traveller, there’s a good chance they will swap for an equally bad, or better, seat. The real issue is if you end up on different decks in club, in which case swapping and seating together isn’t going to work.

Given the lack of status, cost of seating, and you having a domestic connection, I’d be inclined to risk it until OLCI. And try changing in the lounge too — seats get freed up all the time. I got moved onto an A380 to Washington last year at very short notice and ended up with a superb seat, clearly someone made a last minute change or missed a connection.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,089 posts

The trick to changing seats after OLCI check in opens is to check in but NOT to generate the BP but to select the option that says “collect at airport” as this gives you the option to go back in and see if someone else has switched seats.

Generating the BP closes that option off and you can go back in numerous times to see what’s become available.

dmcraven90 1 post

We travelled as a family of 4 on two companion vouchers, separate bookings in January. We didn’t pay for seats. We made sure to OLCI 24 hours before and we had a domestic leg too giving us a few hours advantage. We were able to select from several seats in club that would allow us all to sit together and it was a completely full flight. This was the 777 going to SIN/SYD. I’m taking my chances again in November on the A380, their seat fees are a rip off.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,207 posts

For £500, the cost of return CW seats, you can probably find a Gold Guest List member to give you one of their Silver card nominations!

strickers 655 posts

For £500, the cost of return CW seats, you can probably find a Gold Guest List member to give you one of their Silver card nominations!

£820 on eBay, I’m sure there would be no risk in that!!

marks7389 425 posts

£820 on eBay, I’m sure there would be no risk in that!!

In any case, both would need status to be able to select seats together without paying.

dmm27 55 posts

We both did the status match with Jordanian so will be able to OLCI at T-7. Seemed to be the best way of minimising the risk!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.