Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other London life Your hot tips for the best steak in London?

• modestpointscollector 64 posts

Hi all,

As title, I don’t really have my ear that close to the ground in terms of the latest and greatest offerings in London when it comes to steak. Goodman and Hawksmoor are my usual go to joints, but I have to admit the last few meals i’ve had at Hawksmoor haven’t been at that 10/10 level I’ve had previously. They’re nowhere near bad, but I’m interested to know if there’s anywhere else people recommend. Preferably around the west end or the city but other areas would be entertain if especially good!

cinereus 161 posts

Absolutely none of the restaurants. You’ll get much better than any of them spending £20 on a decent cut of 30-day dry aged côte de boeuf from a proper butcher (or even the branches of Waitrose that do real in-house dry aging) followed by either 1 hour @ 52C in a sous vide or reverse sear in an oven followed by any half decent charcoal grill to get a decent crust.

London restaurants will serve you worse quality meat, definitely worse cooked and with an absurd mark up.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Richie 992 posts

After a recent average steak at a high end London West End restaurant, I’ve decided it’s better to enjoy good steak at home or in a restaurant I frequently visit in Florence.

Norm 5 posts

Recently had a great experience at Smokehouse in Islington. There is only a daily steak menu depending on what was available from their suppliers.

shutter 8 posts

I think there is much to be said for the simple formula and great execution of a L’entrecote. There is one at Canary Wharf.

cinereus 161 posts

I think there is much to be said for the simple formula and great execution of a L’entrecote. There is one at Canary Wharf.

This is a somewhat strange suggestion. The meat used at their restaurants is never particularly high quality and I’ve never seen a steak come out of their kitchen with anything approaching a proper crust. It’s like the Pizza Hut of steaks.

Super Secret Stuff 357 posts

Rob and Rhys said STK steakhouse is great, great decor and “views” 😉

MisanoPayments 3 posts

Morning all!

I vote for Omnimo on Leadenhall; a pleasant basement restaurant serving good steak and decent red wine (not that I claim to be a connoisseur in the latter!)

modestpointscollector 64 posts

Thanks for your input everyone.

While I appreciate the sentiment of the DIY option, and it is one I exercise where possible, the restaurant option is mainly when meeting up with friends who happen to be in London for some reason.

On the whole i’m happy with the standard of the meat and cooking at Hawksmoor and to a very slightly lesser extent Goodman (more imported beef) but like i said the last 2 visits just have been good rather than exceptional. The crust is a good example, I expect that from the places mentioned, and it was less prominent on the last few visits. Maybe this is something we can all blame on Covid? Difference between the branches? Who knows…

fluffymitten 10 posts

Macellaio (there are two branches if I remember correctly) is a lesser known but brilliant option. I’ve been to the one in South Ken and it’s a small place but the service is excellent and the food is great. My partner (who is a huge foodie) was in raptures over their meat fridge.

The real Swiss Tony 662 posts

As noted, there’s certainly no shortage of bad steak or outrageous pricing on the meat and the sides, but my favourite is High Timber, which is just round the corner from the new Westin Hotel on Upper Thames Street.

Lady London 2,054 posts

Hmmm Well that’s one reason for a trip to Florence

masaccio 722 posts

Consensus appears to be London is rubbish for steak. I’d broaden that to the UK in general but then I’ve not tried Tom Kerridge’s steak. Maybe he comes close to US steak, but surely not Japan.

Richie 992 posts

Btw Aldi have a special Japanese wagyu 200g sirloin steak from 9th Dec 21, £24.99 each.

Graham-Walsh 61 posts

Sure I’ve been to Omnimo years ago. Was a great meal. Frequented many Hawksmoor and Goldman’s a few times. STK is also good at One Aldwych especially on a Thursday when there is a DJ playing.

cinereus 161 posts

Btw Aldi have a special Japanese wagyu 200g sirloin steak from 9th Dec 21, £24.99 each.

Is that the A4 stuff? Been meaning to stock up on a few.

Tarmohamed 22 posts

Nusret… or Zelman Meats…

MD 14 posts

Nusret…

Just, no…

Richie 992 posts

Is that the A4 stuff? Been meaning to stock up on a few.

Yes, it’s A4, also Ribeye.

Tom H 9 posts

Beast is the best I ve had in town, and would highly recommend

iamlost 108 posts

It used to be CUT, now I’d say it’s Colony Grill Room.

TGLoyalty 536 posts

Nusret… or Zelman Meats…

Have to be joking with that first one

Zelman @ HN was decent
    Enjoyed CUT @ 45 but it was over priced (Amex offer helped)

Anyone have any experience of Blacklock? Next on my list I think.

Thywillbedone 13 posts

Would echo the comments about the best steak generally being the one you cook at home. But I have found the Buenos Aires Steakhouse in Wimbledon (they have a few outlets) to be very good value (in particular the spiral cut rib-eye). I say that as someone who lived in Argentina for a year and ate beef twice a day for much of it.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Kowalski 105 posts

I’ve generally found London to be disappointing when it comes to steak. Hawksmoor has probably been the best. If looking further afield, my favourite steakhouse in Europe, which is consistently excellent, is Butchery & Wine in Warsaw, Poland.

The real Swiss Tony 662 posts

Nusret… or Zelman Meats…

Have to be joking with that first one

Zelman @ HN was decent
    Enjoyed CUT @ 45 but it was over priced (Amex offer helped)

Anyone have any experience of Blacklock? Next on my list I think.

Blacklock is great fun but not in my opinion high-end. The “all-in” platter is where my money’s at and makes for an absolute bargain meal. To give some context, I work on Hawksmoor being 4x the price of Blacklock.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.