Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Zagreb hotel suggestions

• Biki 117 posts

Any hotel suggestions for a long weekend in Zagreb? The Doubletree looks good from the research I’ve done so far, but not really sure how well located it is for sightseeing etc. I have the usual Amex Platinum hotel status.

Also any advice on things to do and restaurants would be appreciated. I saw a couple of restaurants on the Michelin guide which look good, including Noel which appears to be the only one with a Michelin star.

Thanks!

davefl 1,218 posts

Canopy was nice when I was there in Sept. Good location in the lower town, 15 mins walk to pretty much everything

Biki 117 posts

Thanks, I was just looking at the canopy and was starting to think that it might be a better option!

meta 1,427 posts

It’s the centre whereas Doubletree is not. Marriott properties you have Westin and Sheraton, either is good, though Sheraton has slightly newer rooms. For a bit of old school luxury, you have Esplanade (used to be Regent). In any case, the rates are extraordinarily low at the moment.

Biki 117 posts

Thanks Meta, I’ll take a look at both of those options too. Yes, prices seem very cheap at the moment! I only booked to go there as we have 5 companion vouchers to use up and fancied doing a T3 lounge crawl, it seems like a nice cheap weekend away potentially.

davefl 1,218 posts

Be aware that a lot of things in Zagreb are closed for the foreseable future due to the March 2020 earthquake. Both the Art and design museum etc.

Only issue I had with the Canopy was not crediting the points for the stay, had to put in a claim. But the experience was good, room good, breakfast very good. As pointed out above location is much better than the Doubletree.

One thing with Zagreb is the number of parks to just sit and people watch. If the weather is good it’s a lovely place to chill out.

Matt 320 posts

I stayed at the Esplanade a couple of years ago and was impressed. Very good breakfast, and they let us check in at 7am which was a pleasant surprise. Good location as well.

meta 1,427 posts

Also beware that BA keeps cancelling flights. They might not restart till the summer like last year.

Biki 117 posts

Thanks all. I’ll certainly be making refundable hotel bookings and hopefully if they do cancel I can get a reroute to one of the other Croatian destinations anyway.

John 1,000 posts

Also beware that BA keeps cancelling flights. They might not restart till the summer like last year.

Thanks for this, I was just about to pull the trigger for beginning of March.

Croatian is flying to ZAG though.

Do you know if BA has been rebooking the affected passengers on the direct flight or forcing them to take another route? (BA is not flying to anywhere else in Croatia until summer flying season)

Yes I know I can take BA to CEDR or whatever but I would really rather use my time for something else

Lady London 2,030 posts

Do you know if BA has been rebooking the affected passengers on the direct flight or forcing them to take another route? (BA is not flying to anywhere else in Croatia until summer flying season)

Yes I know I can take BA to CEDR or whatever but I would really rather use my time for something else

Likely the LCC’s will bw flying Zagreb sooner than BA

meta 1,427 posts

BA is not rebooking anyone, tried Lufthansa and Croatia Airlines no luck. In the end, my project got moved, so I moved the flight to May as well, but would have gone MCOL otherwise. It is very likely that BA won’t be flying the route till summer schedule like last year. But you never know. They only cancel end of each month. Ryanair has daily direct flights and continues flying and CA has 2-3 times a week. I think that there is only a place for 2 players on that route. Ryanair is still perceived by locals as cheaper (even though BA is often cheaper when you incl. bags, etc.).

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    John 1,000 posts

BA is not rebooking anyone, tried Lufthansa and Croatia Airlines no luck. In the end, my project got moved, so I moved the flight to May as well, but would have gone MCOL otherwise. It is very likely that BA won’t be flying the route till summer schedule like last year. But you never know. They only cancel end of each month. Ryanair has daily direct flights and continues flying and CA has 2-3 times a week. I think that there is only a place for 2 players on that route. Ryanair is still perceived by locals as cheaper (even though BA is often cheaper when you incl. bags, etc.).

Ok thanks, Croatian it is then, I won’t ever fly Ryanair unless it’s to a remote airport that I actually want to go to/from.

DT was excellent on my previous visit (2018), will try canopy this time.

davefl 1,218 posts

Likely the LCC’s will bw flying Zagreb sooner than BA

Ryanair started their Man-Zag route just before xmas. Thought it was wierd,

meta 1,427 posts

It’s not weird, they have set up a regional base in Zagreb and are flying/will be flying all over Europe from there with 3 planes stationed at the airport and if I remember correctly the plan is to up this to 9.

davefl 1,218 posts

It’s not weird, they have set up a regional base in Zagreb and are flying/will be flying all over Europe from there with 3 planes stationed at the airport and if I remember correctly the plan is to up this to 9.

I meant wierd to start a route in mid dec. (I posted the above message a couple of days ago and it only showed up this morning)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.