1,500 free Avios points for switching on auto-convert from Tesco Clubcard. Good deal or bad deal?

I received an interesting email from Avios yesterday with an offer relating to Tesco Clubcard:

“It only take a few moments to automatically convert all your future Tesco Clubcard points to Avios.  It means you could be flying away sooner than you think.

Simply go to www.tesco.com/clubcard

Select ‘My Clubcard Account’, log in, then select ‘My Preferences’

Scroll down and tick the box which says ‘Avios’.  Then confirm to automatically convert your Tesco Clubcard vouchers to Avios.

Do it by 3 May 2013 and you’ll receive a 1,500 Avios bonus.”

Clubcard conversion

The small print contains a small catch:

“Avios UK Members who join Tesco Automatic Opt in by 11.59pm on Friday 03/05/13 and collect a minimum of 150 Tesco Clubcard points (which are automatically transferred to Avios at the end of the period) will be awarded 1,500 bonus Avios. 1,500 bonus Avios will be awarded by 31/05/13.”

Now, in theory this sounds like a simple deal, but there is an obvious question:

Is it targeted?

The rules imply No.

However … only 1 of the 3 Avios accounts in our house received this offer.

And … I cannot find it on the Tesco or avios.com website

There is no guarantee that you will get the bonus if you didn’t get the email.

Here are some other things worth thinking about:

This is NOT a British Airways Executive Club offer.  It is an avios.com offer.  You must set up auto-convert to avios.com and NOT BAEC.

You can turn off auto-convert after the next set of points have auto-converted.  It is not irreversible.

Remember that a Tesco to Avios conversion bonus may come along again soon.  This could be 50%.  If you have more than 1,250 Clubcard points this quarter (which would be 3,000 Avios) then you would be losing out by converting now and taking the 1,500 Avios points bonus if a 50% conversion bonus came along later.

You may be better off taking a dormant Clubcard account, setting that up to auto-convert, and then trying to earn 150 Clubcard points on it before 3rd May.  The easiest way would be buying £50 of gift cards to earn 150 bonus Clubcard points – see my earlier post on this here.

The deadline for setting up auto-convert in May 3rd.  There is a good reason for this – May 4th is the last day for points to be credited to your account to receive vouchers in the May Tesco mailshot.

Use your Avios to enjoy a cheap 'repositioning cruise'
960 Avios points for £10 via a new Clubcard book deal

Comments

1. James67 says:

Compared to the last time they ran this promomo it is rubbish. IIRC 4000 or 4500 bonus when first launched.

2. thesaver79 says:

Do you think the 150 points would have to be earned after setting up the auto conversion?

• It doesn’t matter. All that matters is that you have 150 points on 4th May.

• thesaver79 says:

Thanks. I asked about the promo on the Avios UK Facebook page. I haven’t received the email so I’m going to wait and see what they say.

• thesaver79 says:

All has been confirmed by Avios on Facebook

3. Despite what it says on the main page, in the Visa gift card T&Cs it says ”
    If you’re a Clubcard customer, you’ll earn 150 Clubcard points for every £50 you spend in a single transaction on Branded Gift Cards (including the Visa branded Cards) at the time of purchase.”

So buy the cards at the start of a Tesco shop and use them immediately!

• “So buy the cards at the start of a Tesco shop and use them immediately!”

I wouldn’t do that; I’d rather use my BMI AMEX for any payment at the till as it earns me avios. The VISA gift card is obviously considered a debit card (see tesco’s T&C’s) which is accepted virtually anywhere, so I would use it for payments that HAVE to be made by debit card (e.g. national lottery online). Per £50 gift card, you would earn 150 clubcard points = at least 360 avios + 200 avios through BMI AMEX = 560 avios for £50 debit card spend. Even if you take into consideration the £3.95 fee tesco will charge you at the till when purchasing the gift card, I still think it’s a reasonable deal.

• Stick with Pizza Express gift cards, that’s what I do!

• Pizza Express! And I thought you were a gentleman of taste and discernment.

Full disclosure: live in Rome so pizza not high on must-eat list when back in Blighty 😉

• Are you sure you get 150 CCP for visa branded cards ?

• The rules say no. Some people, I think, got the 3V branded Visa cards to work but few stores have those. I admit, I thought the main Visa gift cards were not meant to count.

• So only the 3v visa will give me 150 points? Not the normal visa gift card ? Because according to 3v visa’s website, tesco doesn’t sell it at all !

• I have never seen one either! But a very small number of stores did have them and I am assured they triggered the bonus points.

4. Sorry to be slow on this one, but I’ve been out of the UK for 2.5 years now and am a little vague on how exactly Clubcard conversion works.

I also got this email from Avios.

Per my Awardwallet total I have £18.50 in Clubcard vouchers and 154 points. If I set up autoconvert, then this I believe means only the 154 in points will be auto-converted, while the £18.50 will be untouched (and I am free to convert them at a higher rate should any conversion bonus come along in due course).

I am 99% sure this is the case, and so this appears perfect for me – but can anyone confirm?

• Yes, that is correct. Remember you must autoconvert to avios.com and not BA.

• I was also sure this to be the case, but just called Tesco Clubcard to be certain, and they confirmed existing vouchers would need to be converted manually, only current points balance would auto-convert. Therefore having a current Clubcard points balance of less than 1,250 for this quarter makes this opt-in worthwhile, as you’d receive more bonus points than a 50% transfer bonus if/when it comes along. With 3 accounts and 2 with balances less than 1,250 this quarter, I’ll be opting in to receive a combined 3,000 Avios bonus. I’ve already received one previously though on the one account, and that’s the one I didn’t get an email for regarding this offer. Let’s hope it still works, but with the lowest balance of only 550 points, I’d only lose 540 Avios from a future conversion bonus anyway.

5. Steve R says:

When they ran the opt in for the bonus 4500 avios last time, hidden away in T&C’s said you could only use the voucher if you booked flight & hotel through Avios , so promptly unticked the box at T’s

• Luckily this promotion says no such thing, so perhaps why far less bonus points. but I would rather have 1,500 real Avios than 4,500 voucher Avios.

6. I dont have any dormant clubcards so i wonder if its possible to apply for additional clubcards, for example at my mums and work addresses. How long do the cards take or do you get a temporay one online? When the cards arrive i then buy a gift card on each and auto convert them all to the same avios account. Will tesco or avios pick up on this?

• I was thinking a similar thing, can you have more than one clubcard? As I could setup a new account, buy the John Whaite book to gain 400 points, and then turn on the auto convert for an extra 1,500 points. This way I don’t lose out on auto converting on my main account?

• If you want to put the CC points into your account, the address and surname on the Tesco account must match your avios.com account.

A temporary card would work fine, although they are harder to apot in stores these days.

You can have multiple CC accounts in the same name and address, although occasionally Tesco automatically merges them.

7. ringingup says:

I’ve just set up the auto conversion, but it didn’t ask me for any Avios number? How is the conversion going to happen?

8. Gordon B says:

i think there is a £3.95 fee on a £50 visa branded gift card unlike the others. So if you are going to buy and then use in store you will pay extra

9. pazza2000 says:

Has it been confirmed yet that you will eligible for this offer if you have NOT received the email?

• ringingup says:

I posted on their Facebook page to ask them if the promo existed without specifying whether I received an email or not. They confirmed the promo existed and they didn’t mention that you should have received the email to be entitled.

10. a bit confused here – If you select in Preferences:

Avios – how would you then transfer the avios points to your avios.com account?

with the BA Exec Club it asked you to list your membership number.

When you select Avios it doesn’t ask you to put your email address (as the username or something)

11. Can auto-convert be cancelled after receiving the 1,500 bonus?

12. Hi,

If I had already signed up for the auto convert does this mean I will still be entitled to the bonus? If not is there any way of turning the auto convert on and then off again?

• No, I doubt it. And I assume you would need to turn it off for a full quarter for it to have any effect.

You shouldn’t have autoconvert on anyway! If you don’t need the miles, you should keep the vouchers in your desk in case a conversion bonus comes along.

• Hi raffles,
        Normally i would do this but I am in need of a steady flow of avios as I tend to use them for short haul redemptions to visit friends and my girlfriend in Germany. I guess it just depends what your priorities are. I normally fly economy (although i did treat myself to ce from manchester via lhr a couple of times)and then get some kind ft’er to guest me into one of the lovely lounges, has worked well so far! Thanks for all the great advice!

13. Do I need to set up an Avios account? Had an AirMiles account offline 11 years ago, but have no details. Have BAEC account, TCC and Tesco Clubcard (thanks to Raffles who I filled out referral form for)

• You do to get this bonus, yes.

Your old account may still exist, you could try ‘forgot your password?’ if you still have the same email address as you did then.

14. BTW, Avios have publicised this very offer on their Facebook page, so it seems to confirm that the offer isn’t targeted and is open to anyone who hasnt already turned autoconvert on for the previous conversion period.