Earn 8,000 Avios with a subscription to The Economist

The Economist has been an Iberia Plus partner for a long time, but the subscription offers they run usually exclude UK residents.  That has changed for their new offer.

Economist Iberia

As you can see at this link, you can earn 8,000 Avios in Iberia Plus if you take out a 1-year digital and print subscription to The Economist.  The cost is £155.

Alternatively, you can earn 6,000 Avios with a £126 print-only or digital-only subscription.

The price seems to be in line with the price charged via other channels.

You will need an Iberia Plus account to take part.  Once the Avios points arrive, you can convert them to British Airways or avios.com via the ‘Combine my Avios’ function online.

You can cancel your subscription at any point for a pro-rata refund.

If you have access to a US mailing address, it is worth noting that the price there is just $160, so under £100.  I was once told that – after a few weeks – you can change the mailing address to your UK one and they will switch your subscription over without asking for any more cash.  Don’t take my word for that though ….

Was star economist Ha-Joon Chang right to ditch his Amex Platinum?
Ex-Hotel Missoni in Edinburgh now available via Club Carlson

Comments

1. squills says:

You can change addresses to a different country for no charge, roger that 😉

I’ve done it plenty of times. You only get the edition used for your country of address, ie you wouldn’t (say) get the USA edition re-directed to the UK: you’d get the UK edition.

2. Susan Smith says:

Raffles, haven’t you mentioned before that you’re aware of a convenient way to get a US mailing address?

3. squills says:

I’m dimly remembering that there are cheaper options for addresses, wasn’t it somewhere in SE Asia? Indonesia or Malaysia?

4. vindaloo says:

Tempted to cancel my subscription and re-apply, perhaps in my wife’s name. Does anyone know whether the points from this will “activate” a new Iberia Plus account under the rule that you must earn 1 Avios before you can transfer in?

I have a vague feeling that the US edition of the Economist doesn’t contain all the articles in the UK edition but I may be wrong about that.

• squills says:

They are different editions. I used to regularly sign up on the 12 for £1 deal and change address to the European edition so that I had some free magazine reading out at Squills Towers over the summer (Europe). No problem with that – except the European edn is a pale shadow of the UK version 😉

• It will definitely activate the account.

US edition has 2-3 fewer pages of UK coverage than the UK edition (and 2-3 more pages of US coverage). That is how all the regional editions works AFAIK.

• Craig says:

Yes, but you can still access the “missing” UK articles online or on your tablet app…

• vindaloo says:

Okay, so are the digital editions in fact identical? I rarely open the paper version these days so may as well downgrade to the digital-only edition anyway. If the foreign digital editions are identical to the UK ones then I guess I may as well sign up for one of those.

• Farringdon says:

The digital editions are different for US and UK (US version only has 2 or 3 UK stories each week, and not the full coverage in the UK edition). You can change the settings to specifiy which region you want.

5. Hywel Phillips says:

Regarding the 15k M&M miles for the NY Times, I’m in the UK but took out for a subscription for a random hotel in Bangkok. I got the miles in my account 3 weeks later :)

• Idrive says:

I see, i should have gone for it maybe…I hold a M&M MBNA Card, wasn’t sure if that would have worked with me…

6. Singing Dwarf says:

Raffles – Have you thought of implementing Do Not Track on your site?

7. raikje says:

The Economist site’s help page for “Manage my Print or Print + Digital subscription” says:

“To cancel your subscription, please contact your local print service centre. You may cancel at any time, and the remaining part of your subscription will be refunded.”

So it looks like a pro-rata refund might be possible. I’ve subscribed for print+digital, with the print copy going to my, ahem, business address in Canada. It was happy with a separate shipping and billing address, and it says I should receive my Avios in 4 to 6 weeks.

Nowhere near as good as the old bmi offer, of 9000 miles and 3 months subscription for £12. But I enjoyed my subscription last time, and 1.18p/Avios with the Economist free for a year doesn’t seem like a bad deal.

8. Charlie says:

Different airline and different publication, but I needed a few thousand AA miles and successfully got them via AA’s US online shopping portal by buying digital news subscriptions. The miles took a month to credit, and it wasn’t an issue not having an US address.

I got 3200 AA miles for approx $20 worth of NY Times, etc!

There is a lot more on offer on the AA shopping site but not much for digital delivery.

• Idrive says:

Do you just need to register with new login details to use AA shopping? I tried with my AAdvantage but did not work.

• Yes, you need to go through a registration process for their eshoppig portal. It’s pretty easy though and I’ve found my IHG stays have all tracked consistently wih them. They also have some bonus offers on a few times a year. If nothing else it’s an easy way to keep your account active.

• I get a funny feeling you need a separate account as it is run by a third party.

• Charlie says:

That’s right, you go through the AAdvantage eShopping portal’s sign up process and link your AA account to it. You need to supply a US zip code, but not a full US address.

You then click through to shops like NYTimes as normal, as you would with say the BA/VA shopping portals in the UK. The shops you buy from normally need a US address, but the digital news subscriptions didn’t, or perhaps only needed a zip code, or accepted a global address.

There’s also some electronically delivered software shops, like GoToMyPc, but I didn’t really need this.