Help me build a list of Amex Membership Rewards transfer times

I’d like to enlist your help in a new crowdsourcing operation!

A fairly common question I get asked by email is how long it takes American Express to transfer Membership Rewards points to a specific airline or hotel partner.

I thought it would be useful if I tried to compile a list of approximate transfer times.

This thread will remain open for the usual 2 weeks, at which point I will re-run the article to give it an extra two weeks of life.

If you make a Membership Rewards transfer from the UK scheme within the next month, can you please track how many days it takes and then add a comment to this article?

I am only interested in the airline and hotel partners, plus Eurostar Frequent Traveller and Nectar.

Amex Membership Rewards

Please ONLY do this if your Membership Rewards account is ALREADY linked to your airline or hotel account.  If you have never transferred to a particular airline or hotel before, the first transaction always takes longer because Amex initially asks the partner to verify your account – which may take anything from 30 seconds to 3-4 days – and only then initiates the transfer process.

To start off, here are partners which I know transfer INSTANTLY as long as your accounts are already linked:

Virgin Atlantic Flying Club

Delta Air Lines

Emirates Skywards

Thank you in advance for your feedback.  Hopefully we can put together a useful reference resource.

(Want to earn more miles and points from credit cards?  Click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Introducing InterNations, the world's largest online community for expats
IHG credit card sign-up bonuses no longer count for status

Comments

1. Amex Plat > BAEC, requested on Friday early evening. This was a new transfer but the confirmation happened faster than the screen could refresh. Email saying “done” from Amex early evening Sunday, and immediately upon login to BAEC, they were there, even though hadn’t been three hours earlier– I hadn’t known BAEC to do intra-day refreshes before, but apparently in this case it happened.

2. Howard says:

MR to BAEC…..confirmation immediate and points posted on my BAEC account took about 48 hours but could have been a bit less.

3. Slightly off topic, but can we expect a MR> BAEC conversion bonus anytime soon?

4. Matthew says:

MR to Etihad

Requested Sunday at 13:24 21/06/15 and posted Monday at 10:30 22/06/15. Less than 24hrs, quickest transfer I’ve ever had to Etihad.

Bonus miles yet to post.

5. Martin says:

Transfer into registered Etihad Saturday midday and had them credited on Sunday. Didn’t get the bonus yet (Monday).

6. Amex Plat to BAEC. Transfer requested 22/4/15 about 10:30
    email from Amex almost immediately with status: “In progress”
    23/4 14:00 email from Amex with status: “completed”
    On BAEC statement – transaction date 22/4 – posted on 24/4 !?
    So it seems that they knew the transfer was 22/4, Amex said it was complete on 23/4 and BAEC showed them on 24/4. Presumably they would not have been available before 24/4 – I don’t know as I had to do another transfer via combine my Avios to make sure I had the points in time.

7. Some feedback of my own:

Hilton – overnight
    SPG – overnight
    Nectar – overnight
    Club Carlson – not overnight!

8. Jason Cousins says:

Starwood Transfer this week took 24 hours (checking with Award Wallet)
    Hilton Honors took 26 hours
    Club Carlson, still waiting!

9. Transferred Etihad on 22nd at 21:28, arrived on 23rd at 15:00, still waiting on bonus miles.

10. Funtime says:

Iberia requested yesterday 25/06/15 posted overnight

11. Just got my Carlson points, so that was 4 days.

12. I’m still waiting on my Etihad bonus miles. Decided to give customer services a nudge, as I transferred only enough that the 25% bonus would give me the miles I need. I’m keen to get there before 1) The devaluation and 2) Someone else steals my GuestSeats.

• Jordan Rowland says:

Don’t suppose you got your bonus miles through? I transferred some MR points over the other day and very worried my bonus miles won’t hit until after devaluation. I’ve tried nudging customer services but they couldn’t tell me when.

• Matthew says:

My bonus MR arrived today in my Etihad account. It took 14 days after my initial transfer on 21 June. I did send them an email 5 days ago, no reply but it may have helped!

• I think they did a big batch at once. I got the bonus for an Amex transfer AND a Heathrow Rewards transfer, done 2 weeks apart, in the same batch.

13. when will amex do a bonus for Ba transfer ?

14. I requested a transfer on Wednesday night of 12,000 AMEX points to BA Avios, I received confirmation of completion of transfer from AMEX on Thursday afternoon. The BA Avios were showing on my BAEC account Friday morning.