UPDATE: Alitalia / SkyTeam status match now ‘officially’ on their website

Yesterday I wrote about the status match that Alitalia appeared to be offering to British Airways Executive Club status members.

When I wrote that article, it wasn’t clear if this was a ‘formal’ status match programme or if Alitalia had unofficially decided to start accepting matches.

We now know that this is a formal Alitalia programme.

Details are on the Alitalia website here.

Alitalia

Here are the rules:

You have until December 2015 to ask for a match

The match will last until March 2016 UNLESS your existing status card shows an expiry date beyond March 2016.  If it does, your matched card will be issued until March 2017.

ANY elite status card from an airline which is not part of the SkyTeam alliance will be accepted

As the match is now ‘official’ I fully recommend that you apply.  Even if you have no plans to fly on a SkyTeam airline, you should be able to leverage this card for a match with another airline – possible a oneworld one – at some point before it expires.

There is one catch which is a common problem with most matches involving British Airways.  Most airlines have Gold as their MIDDLE tier.  British Airways has it as their top tier.  You need to be careful, when your match is processed, that your BA Gold gets you a top tier match and NOT a middle tier match.

Best ever Heathrow Rewards sign-up deal - 2,500 Avios, Virgin, Lufthansa, Etihad or Emirates miles!
Alitalia offering a status match (SkyTeam) to British Airways Gold card holders

Comments

1. Sam wardill says:

Will they match ethihad?

2. I’ll be turning Gold soon, but won’t be back home to receive my BA gold for another 6 months… can I still send in my BAEC statement showing Gold level to AlItalia, without a photo of the BA Gold card to apply for the status match?

• I’m in a similar situation – I just sent in a PDF of my BAEC homepage showing all the details along with a scan of my old card. I’ll see how I get on but just realised I could have sent a screenshot from the card page within the BAEC app instead/as well – perhaps worth just doing that?

• Thanks, please let us know how you get on.

I’ll try sending a photo of the gold card on the BAEC app as well and report back here.

I’ve got many SkyTeam+Etihad flights booked before I return back home so would be great if they recognised the photos and pdfs!

3. Raffles can you schedule a reminder post about this for early December? We’re blue at the moment with just 20 tp’s but HNL and BKK trips later in the year will net us approx 1700 tier points and so BA gold!

• Will do, it will go into the fortnightly ‘important dates’ post nearer the time.

• Great thanks!

• I had an email from Alitalia today, about their HBO fares, which states that “The new edition of the MilleMiglia Program that was launched on January 1, 2013 will expire on December 31, 2015, unless extended.”

4. John G says:

Applied last night with VS Gold. We’ll see what happens. Would be very useful for a trip on Vietnam Airlines later in the year.

5. Cheshire Pete says:

I got an error on registration last night….

• What error? Registering for what? Opening a alitalia millemiglia account you mean?

• I had the same problem, then it wouldn’t let me re-register, however call to 03335 665544 (option 3), no holding, and they gave me my MilleMiligia number straight away allowing me to login.

6. Jake A says:

Do Alitalia do soft landings?

• Lady London says:

No. And be very very careful with this program. I think I can recall twice, each time about 5 years apart, that they rejigged the program at no notice trashing everybody’s points.

Etihad share in it now might change things but I’d view this as what it is for right now only and not build up a stash of points.

7. would one be able to match back to Air Berlin? (e.g. from CX Gold -> Alitalia -> AI)

8. The original article says you need to include a screenshot of your account. Do you think it’d be possible to match my empty AirBerlin Silver status that was matched from a Virgin account? It is the only account with an expiration past March 2016 that I have.

9. Cheshire Pete says:

Thanks for the tip regarding registration issue. Will call.

To the guy regarding Gold Card scan. You can download a PDF of your card from your BAEC home page, just select print/download option to save as a PDF.

This will be my third match in as many months! Virgin matched me when travelling on Little Red, then Etihad matched me and now this one!

10. I sent an email off. Took photo of physical card, screenshot of online card and statement from last two months of flights. Didn’t even receive an email back and had been matched from BA Gold to SkyTeam Elite Plus. I had to go check as never had any communication but was very quick turnaround.

• I applied using my A3 *G and CX Gold (OW sapphire) on Monday but still waiting for a reply/for my online account to show an upgrade.

Hope I haven’t been filtered out for some reason :s

• Sent an e-mail yesterday with brand new MilleMiglia number, full name and photo of existing BAEC Silver card but do not expect a quick reply or status match as AZ will probably have a lot of applications to deal with these days.

11. Oh dear. Trying to join the programme as a prerequisite to request a status match, I’m told I’m already registered.

Now many, many years ago, I signed up for a lot of accounts and Alitalia may well have been one, but that must have been more than 10 years ago. Redundant ones like Flying Blue still show me as a member and I still have a FB card. But I have no Alitalia card. :( I could spoof a new account, but some details such as my name couldn’t be changed.

Has anybody advice on an AZ help page or e-mail address? I can see an 0871 phone number, but I’m reluctant to use it in view of the even higher charges for calling such numbers from yesterday.

Many thanks.

• Try the 0333 566 5544 number. I called them to retrieve my account number the other day with this number.

12. Has anyone that has applied since the 30th June had their account upgraded yet? Nothing so far for me…

• Shayele says:

Same here still waiting.

• I’ve just resent mine using a screenshot of my updated Gold card this time (had and out of date scan of my previous before) – will see if that helps!

• It says on the Alitalia website it will be effective 5 working days after you submit, so I guess next week people should start seeing the accounts change.

• Ah OK, hadn’t spotted that – initial reports were under 48h but makes sense they’ve pushed out the timescales with the increasing number of requests no doubt coming through!

13. Henrik says:

Anyone been matched yet? I sent an email last Wednesday, but haven’t heard anything and don’t appear to have been matched (BA Silver) on the website).

14. Tim Rogers says:

Has anyone had any luck with this yet? I applied last Wednesday and am yet to have any luck.

• According to their website, the status will be matched in 5 working days.
      I sent mine Monday afternoon and was matched yesterday morning.

• Matched today from Qantas.

15. Henrik says:

Still waiting since last Wednesday…

• Ditto, still no change in status after July 1 application so sent a 2nd e-mail today.

• Matched today, 1 day after 2nd e-mail, BAEC Silver to Freccia Alata club..

• Same for me, a second email resulted in a match within 1 day. Expires 03/2017 :)

• Has anyone had joy sending through the soft copy card from BAEC? Or do you have to send a photo of the actual plastic? I can’t find my plastic, only a bag tag but that doesn’t have an expiry date on it…

• I used a screenshot of the Iphone card on my second e-mail in order to have a clear pic with small size and matched within 24 hours after that.

• I’ve sent both and still no luck :( Sounds like others have had more success tho – I’m off to email them for the 3rd time!

16. So would this Alitalia Skyteam Elite Plus card give me lounge access when flying Etihad economy?

17. Russell Evans says:

BA Silver matched to Freccia Alata today

Trackbacks

1. […] Via Head for Points, there’s now even an official website promoting the match opportunity. […]