Bits: BA sale extended, Etihad credit card bonus problem?, South West Trains promo

News in brief:

British Airways sale extended

The current British Airways World Traveller and World Traveller Plus sale was due to end today.  Instead, it has been extended by another week to next Tuesday.

Take a look at my original BA sale article here for some of the highlights.

British Airways 350 2

Problems with the Etihad credit card bonus?

Back on April 5th, I wrote about the very generous 25,000 miles sign up bonus which Etihad Guest had launched on their UK credit card.

There was a snag.  Whilst Etihad was splashing the deal over their site, MBNA – the card provider – had not actually launched it.  Etihad was a few days early.  It was impossible to know this, as the application link on the Etihad site took you directly to the application form.

A lot of HFP readers applied on the back of my article.  If you had trouble getting the bonus to credit but DID succeed, please email me at raffles [at] headforpoints.co.uk.  In particular, I’d like details of any contacts at MBNA.  I have other HFP readers who I want to help.

PS.  As of last night, Etihad is still offering the 25,000 miles on its site – even though the offer finished on July 10th!

South West Trains

South West Trains £20 Summer fares

Finally, one of our occasional rail stories.  South West trains is offering £20 flat fare returns (£8 for children) to almost anywhere on their network until August 28th.

You must travel off-peak and you cannot travel on a Sunday.  Full details can be found on the SWT website here.  Thanks to Davide.

How I obtained the new IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite status without doing any stays!
Lufthansa cuts return flights to Germany to just 7,000 miles for the Summer

Comments

1. G Flyer says:

The welcome letter MBNA sent me with the two Etihad credit cards just referenced 5,000 bonus miles, should I be worried? Did anyone’s state the correct amount of 25,000?

• My wife’s was the same, she received the 20k bonus.

• Likewise, I got the full bonus too. Was concerned about that a little but assumed it would be sorted with a quick follow up given the advertising of the deal. Nothing needed in the end though, bonus posted fine.

2. James67 says:

There is no big issue with MBNA, for those still affected simply send them a secure message making reference to HfP article and Etihad website on 5th April. MBNA are now aware of the issue so you should get the miles.

• +1 same as James, got caught up at the beginning with letter saying 5k, then emailed and got a letter form CS confirming 25k which was posted on second statement despite spending 3.5k in first month (planned big purchase)

3. Hingeless says:

No issues with MBNA, it’s Etihad you have to worry about, thief customer services are terrible for retro claims.

4. No problems here, the letter did not say the 25K bonus, but CS confirmed it – got applied to my first statement.. saving up for a trip state side, got 36K in one month :)

• James67 says:

It is curious that MBNA sometimes post bonuses with the first statement and other times only on the second statement after spend target is reached. My best guess is that the target must be reached a certain number of days before the statement is produced for the bonus to be processed and applied. That seems odd though as normal spend miles post right up to the statement date.

5. OT – I have a world duty free AMEX credit waiting to be spent. Does anyone know if that is jsut for use in the World Duty Free shop itself or do other stores work too ? Specifically I’m thinking World Of Whiskies which I think is part of WDF ?

• I seem to remember World of Whiskies being included when you use paper WDF coupons. You could ask if you can pay at a WDF till just to be sure it processes OK.

• Indeed, it’s more just a sub-brand within the WDF stores. I found when I was in the staff were directing folk to pay at the normal tills anyway, some of the stores don’t have the tills activated in that area, I think some don’t even have tills at all within WoW!

6. mrtibbs1999 says:

I’ve had bonuses on both our accounts after the second statement. The first one posted the same day as the statement, the other a few days later. I applied for them on the day I saw your article.

7. Does anybody know how many points you get if you buy gift cards using a Tesco credit card? – is it just the 150 for £50 worth or would you get the spending points as well (65 assuming a £52 spend)

• You will get the 150 clubcard points for the £50 giftcards spend plus on a separate transaction on your clucbard statement it will show the credit card spend ie 25 points if you get 1pt/£2 spend or you will get 12 clubcard points if you get 1pt/£4 on your credit card

• Only 150 – gift cards do not earn base points.

8. dynamo says:

Etihad 20,000 bonus posted to my Guest account yesterday having chased them at the end of June. What is the best gift card/voucher to spend the points on? I am not particularly interested in saving Guest Miles in addition to Avios.

• You could cash the points out using Pointspay, or alternatively Amazon vouchers are good value (22,275 miles for £100 voucher)