Time running out to get Amex Platinum if you want free Accor Platinum status

If you have been thinking about getting the American Express Platinum charge card, there is a ‘sweet spot’ for the next 10 days or so.

Six weeks ago, American Express added three new hotel status benefits to the Platinum card:

Hilton HHonors – Gold status (gets free breakfast)

Shangri-La Golden Circle – Jade status

Melia Rewards – Gold status

This is on top of the existing three hotel status cards:

Le Club Accor Hotels – Platinum (top tier) status

Starwood Preferred Guest – Gold status

Club Carlson (Radisson, Park Plaza, Park Inn) – Gold status

Amex Platinum

However …..

According to the Amex website:

Enrolment to receive the American Express benefit of 1-year complimentary Le Club AccorHotels Platinum tier membership will end on 15 April 2016; after which Cardmember requests cannot be accepted, and Cardmembers will not be enrolled or upgraded to Le Club AccorHotels Platinum tier.

Yes, after 15th April you will no longer be eligible for free Accor Platinum status.

If you stay at Ibis, Novotel, Mercure, Sofitel, M Gallery or Pullman hotels on a regular basis, this status is worth having.  I never took great advantage of this, but my wife used it successfully at the Sofitel in Sochi.  Even on my last Novotel stay I received two free drinks, an upgrade and bonus points.

This is the only top-tier hotel status that comes with Platinum.  You are guaranteed lounge access at Sofitel hotels, for a start, which is a good benefit.

If you want to grab Le Club Accor Hotels Platinum status, you would need to apply for Amex Platinum within the next 7-10 days.

You need to be 100% certain that you will receive your card before 15th April because you need the card in your hand before you can register it and claim your Accor status.

My full review of Amex Platinum is here.  The application page is here.

You will receive 30,000 Membership Rewards points for signing up and spending £2,000 within 90 days.  These will convert to 30,000 Avios points or various other things.

If, after a few months, you find that the card does not suit your lifestyle, you can cancel it for a pro-rata refund of the £450 annual fee.  You will retain your hotel status cards until they expire naturally, usually after 12 months.

PS.  Don’t ask me why Amex fails to mention any of these hotel benefits on its Platinum website.  Just trust me that they exist.

Last chance for the BA sale, the generous 'part pay with Avios' deal ..... and AA redemptions before devaluation
3,000 Avios with your first Rocketmiles hotel booking (not targetted)

1. Nicola Walton says:

Randomly we are going on our first cruise with MSC next month and we were able to get a status match using the platinum Le Club Accor card. Both my husband and I got matched to the top tier Black status on MSC. Outer hotel cards eg IHG Spire got matched to MSC gold.

2. A while ago someone posted a link for bonus points for upgrading from Gold… Is this a targeted offer or can anyone with a Gold card follow the link?

3. I had my Accor plat renewed without a stay. The card arrived in the post last week, unexpectedly.

4. Can you downgrade to the Gold card and still get 1 year fee free?

5. Cheshire Pete says:

Will miss this when mine expires in December. It also got me Hilton Diamond in a status match till year end too! Using this for my pre cruise stay in Miami on Wednesday!

6. Please can someone tell me f the priority pass membership is valid for a year, or just as long as you hold the platinum card? Thanks

• It is cancelled immediately, becuase it stops working as soon as there is no longer an active credit card registered to guarantee payment for additional guests.

7. If you already have a Amex gold what is the upgrade to Plat deal and can some share the link?

8. Got the plat last month – trying to get Accor to honour the status has been tricky to say the least – no joy from Accor or Amex yet.

9. bettertoturnleftthanright says:

I have Amex Plat (for 3 years now) but have not received new hotel cards. My Accor one expired last year…do I have to physically renew each year or does my membership remain active as long as I am Amex Plat?

10. I moved to Spain about 3 months ago, but have a Uk current account AND a UK address with Mail Boxes Etc. My Income here in Spain is above the threshold needed in the UK. Stupid question or not, but looks like the Amex Uk has MUCH better deals than Spain.
    Any thoughts on if I can apply in the UK and go through there rather than Spain? Are there any thoughts on this?

Thanks, and BTW big fan of this site..!!

• You’re UK current account has money paid into it and it’s connected to a physical UK address and thus shows up on credit reports? If it does then it could be worth a shot to apply as although it states you need to be a UK resident, how will they know? I’ve applied for and received the German Lufthansa, AMEX and Hilton credit cards so I don’t see why one couldn’t do the same in the UK provided that the criteria are met (i.e. UK address, UK bank account etc.).

• ElectroDuende says:

You are rigth, not only the anual fee is much higher (currently 690 euros, with 150 returned as Amex travel credit), but the benefits are lower. And don’t even try to campare with the USA cards…

11. planeflyer says:

I’ve just had my Accor Platinum card renewed for the 3rd time without getting anywhere near the reqirements (although i’ve stayed 5 nights in the last year, so it’s not dormant), long after dumping my Amex Plat card. Even got it matched to Hilton Diamon, which was handy.

It would be good to state above that not all Sofitels have a lounge, and I think Sydney/Melbourne ones don’t let in Plat members.

• Apparently, there has been a change of policy in Australia and Sofitels do now let in Plat members to their lounges. I’ve heard reports that some others don’t, e.g. the one in Berlin (Kurfurstendamm) – which is why I choose the Hilton over that Sofitel in Berlin.

12. Does anyone have a link to upgrade a PRG to Platinum Amex? They’re used to be a circa 15k MR points given for this upgrade. I can’t seem to find this anywhere on their website anymore.

13. Slightly off topic but am I the only one having trouble signing up for Avis Preferred using the link in the Platinum Benefits Directory?
    I fill in the form using the details and code they outline but when I hit submit all i get back is a blank page. I’ve tried it in Chrome, Firefox, Safari on a Mac and IE on Windows – all with the same outcome.

• Struggled to do this properly online so called Avis.

Operator informed that Plat card successfully amended Preferred profile. Since then rates clearly cheaper than standard rates – have compared by obtaining quotes with and without logging in on Avis site. I wonder whether related to the insurance as basic options greyed out and Amex covers all rental insurance and perhaps this acknowledged hence quotes cheaper. Unfortunately no status benefit from card but can claim up to six months retrospectively on joining Preferred. I now book only smaller cars (on reaching President’s Club – 10 rentals in a year) and am upgraded since (thus far) without fail.

On the subject of PRG to Plan upgrade, I did so shortly before offer sweetened from 15 to 20k MR. Have yet to be charged for Plat fee – I did ring up and query a few weeks ago: agent told me to enjoy but expect fee possibly in months to come.

14. A bit off-topic – but does anybody know what happened to the Foursquare/Amex connection? Haven’t seen any deals for a long time and wondered if they had stopped it for good. Thanks.

15. i had this card over a year ago. If i reapply now, while only holding BA Amex Premium, will i get my bonus points again when hitting spend? i thought i saw, possibly on a USA site, that bonus is only paid out once…

16. I’ve had a Platinum Charge Card for two years now and enquired about the Accor status mentioned in this article to be told: “I am afraid that this benefit is not provided on your Platinum Business Charge Card ending in 1234″….

To what charge card does this benefit apply?

17. So it looks like the plat is NOT going to get you Accor status even if you apply within the “sweet spot”?? Pity I had planned to do just this to use for next year’s trip to Vietnam – won’t bother now. Is the Hilton Diamond status good till the end of March? Might switch location to somewhere with a few Hiltons!

• Genghis says:

It’s Hilton Gold that’s on Amex Plat and that’s a permanent benefit. Happy to offer some advice on Vietnam – we travelled around the country for 3 weeks last year.

• Cheers yes I’m already a Diamond member – just seeing that the card only says 03/2017 for expiry I was taking that to be the end of the month. I was thinking or Accor because the hotels it has in the country suited my plans.

• Don’t believe anything Amex tell you.

The Accor Platinum application form is still on americanexpress.co.uk/platinum – you can access this site even if you are not already a cardholder. Click Benefits Directory – there is the Accor form.

18. 2 queries.

1. I applied for a supplementary card a week ago and had no reply either by email or post. However my wife’s name is now showing as a supp card holder in my online account. Can she expect to receive the card soon or do we need to query this with Amex?

2. I think I read somewhere that the 450 fee is charged in the 2nd month. However I’ve had it in my first months bill. Can I get them to refund it/charge it again? This is annoying as I’ll now need to take money out of savings to pay it.

• 1. I’d give it until Wednesday and if nothing has arrived call to chase them
      2. I expected the fee to be charged in the first month, I don’t recall any of the Amex literature stating it would charged in the 2nd month (although am happy to be corrected) and given you have to agree to the fee to be able to sign up for the card I can’t see any reason why they would be willing to do this, sorry.

19. Ach, I’ve just paid the Gold yearly membership fee. If I were to upgrade to platinum now, will I be charged £450, and get my Gold fee refunded pro-rata? Any insight into this would be excellent.

• No problem getting pro-rata refund. If you’ve paid the fee I guess that means you’ve just entered year 2 of the card – assuming you hit the spend target OK you’d be worth holding off for the bonus MR to post before upgrading though?

20. Thanks, Alan,

Yes, year 2 of the card. and bonus MR for hitting £10k spend posted yesterday!

21. I want to cancel my Gold before the £140 fee kicks in in a week or so and am very tempted to get the Platinum in its place. Whether I do or not, the gold is going.

I know that I can cancel the gold then wait 6months+ before applyong for the Platinum & would then (most likely) get the 30,000 MR points offer if I spend £2k inside of 60 days.

Will Amex entertain the idea of upgrading me to Platinum from Gold and giving me the 30,000 points (with a £2k spend) rather than have me cancel the gold completely and walk away ???

22. Nuts, got flagged I guess as didn’t get an instant acceptance of my upgrade to Platinum. Message telling me I’ll be informed via the post and I’ll know inside of ten days. Gold card 1st year membership fee due in a few days so that might be why ???

Have a very good salary, very good credit record, never messed Amex about payment wise (or any other way !) so I’ll be very miffed if I’m not accepted and more importantly if I’m not accepted in time to get the Accor Platinum benefit – am taking a trip to Marseilles at the end of April (thanks to BA’s CE sale + 7,500 Avios) and am thinking of booking an Accor hotel if I get the status.
    If not I’ll probably stay at the Intercontinental which looks seriously nice (but pricey).

Any suggestions as to which is the best Accor hotel there ? Any other recommendation for Marseilles ?

• I would ring AMEX immediately rather than wait the ten days.

This happened to me on applying for PRG. Rather puzzled so called them the next day. Informed that if system does not receive a reply from credit rating agency within specified time (?60 seconds but a guess as cannot remember), application status deferred for a member of staff to review. Card approved immediately when I rang and have since upgraded online to Plat and separately applied for and received BAPP without incident.

• Agree, flat numbers sometimes causes their system problems too, yet other times it can be fine! If you call them with the application number they can get processing sorted.

23. Waribai says:

On a personal note, AMEX have been rather poor paying avios/MR bonuses this year. My wife referred me for the BA Amex in mid January. Still no bonus referral avios for her despite chasing for 2 months now. I added her as a supp on my gold card with the 3000 MR points offer. Not a sniff of those either yet!

24. Good Lord !! Just logged in to my Amex account to see if I’d received the 3000 MR points for the supplementary cardholder (on my Gold Card) and its gone !! The gold card !! AND all previous transaction history for it.
    The Platinum is in it’s place so I presume I have been accepted !! Not got an email to that effect.

However very worryingly all of my accumulated MR points are nowhere to be seen :-(

Hopefully just a transitional thing and they’ll be back in the next couple of days.

25. Lee Harris says:

On Monday, when this report was posted, I decided to upgrade my Gold to Platinum straight away, instead of waiting the 2 months or so before my Gold first year was up. Yesterday, only 3 days after upgrading, my Accor status was upgraded to Platinum and my Hertz and Avis physical cards have come through, as well as my Priority Pass.

*Much* quicker than I was expecting!

And the expiry on the Accor Platinum is confirmed as end of April 2017.

Thanks for the heads-up on the end of this deal, and for all the work you do to keep this site up to date!

• Lee, can I ask whether you had to wait for the physical platinum card to arrive before you were able to upgrade Accor status? I am thinking of upgrading to platinum but am not sure if it is already too late.

• Genghis says:

You do not need the physical Amex plat card to apply for Accor status

• Lee Harris says:

Nope – mo need to wait. Your online account will show as Platinum immediately, and you can apply for Accor Plat (and the others) within minutes.

26. Great news Lee.

Hopefully I’ll get the Accor Platinum in the next few days then.
    Want to book a hotel for end of April and am keen to have the status confirmed before I do.

My MR points have returned to me too since the upgrade from Gold to Plat so that’s gone smoothly.

27. I’m a 1st year, Amex Gold card holder with 5 months to go before I must pay for my first renewal. I’ve been curious about ‘upgrading’ to Platinum to nab the benefits before downgrading… It sounds like now might be the best time to do it.

However, is it possible at all to upgrade to Platinum, get the benefits and hit the spend goal, before downgrading back to Gold? I’m a long way off hitting my second spend goal of 10k for 10k bonus points so not too worried about that.

28. I have been thinking about upgrading from Gold to Platinum Amex. I have booked Accor hotels already on Hotels.com website. If I get the platinum status, will they offer upgrade or is it only for the bookings made on Accor website?

• Shouldn’t, but you might if they are in a good mood at check in. No chance of points though.

• Genghis says:

It’s hit and miss and most likely a miss. However, from comments on the boards a few days ago, the ship has now sailed on getting Accor plat from Amex plat.

• Thanks for your reply. It’s already too late to upgrade to Amex plat and get Accor plat? That’s a shame. I thought I may have a chance as there are more than 2 weeks till 15th April.

• Genghis says:

I don’t know for sure but that’s what someone said a few days ago after they called Amex. However, worth trying. There’s still the 20k MR bonus if you upgrade to plat after spending £1k in 3 months

• Lee Harris says:

I upgraded online last week, got Amex Platinum status *immediately*, and filled out the details online for the various programs (including Accor) and got my Accor Platinum status confirmed within days.

• Thanks for your reply, Lee. I applied and got platinum amex immediately and got accor platinum 3 days later. All set for a two week Australia trip with priority and accor stays. Thanks raffles for great info.