Bits: Luxury Travel Diary auctions, 3000 Virgin miles for joining Flying Club, Avios / LOVEtheatre deal

News in brief:

Luxury Travel Diary auctions

The Luxury Travel Diary site dropped me a line about another wave of its auctions closing this week.

Here is two nights in Paris which ends this week, as is this one for two nights in Leeds Castle (which is in Kent).  This offer for four nights in the Maldives is probably the plushest deal at present.  Not everything will work for you, either in terms of location, length or dates, but you’ll probably find something of interest if you poke around!

Virgin Atlantic

3,000 free miles for joining Virgin Flying Club

Whilst I cover Virgin Flying Club on Head for Points, you may not be a member because you never thought it was relevant to you.

This offer may change your mind.  Via the Virgin Red app, you will receive 3,000 miles for joining Flying Club.

You don’t need to do anything.  The miles will be automatically dropped in your account within 7 days.

3,000 miles won’t get you far.  However, once you have your account open, you are better placed to pick some miles via the generous credit card sign-up bonus, opening an ISA, buying wine, Heathrow Rewards, Tesco Clubcard conversions or American Express Membership Rewards.

The offer expires on 17th September.

Avios / LOVEtheatre bonus extended

Finally, lovetheatre.com, the new Avios theatre ticketing partner, has extended its offer of double Avios points on all tickets booked until 30th September.  It doesn’t matter when the event takes place.

Double Avios means 6 Avios per £1 spent.  As well as working with all West End theatres, it also sells tickets for selected off-West End venues including Shakespeare’s Globe, National Theatre, Barbican Centre, Menier Chocolate Factory and Royal Court, as well as key regional theatres.   LOVEtheatre is also an agent for attractions including the Tower of London, National Gallery, London Eye, Madame Tussauds, The View from the Shard and Buckingham Palace.

Details of the promotion can be found here although the article has not been altered to reflect the new closing date.  The lovetheatre.com home page is here.

My review of the 14th century Hilton Sa Torre, Mallorca - Part 1
STOP PRESS: New Qatar Airways business class sale rolling out

Comments

1. You mention Heathrow Rewards in this post; any news on a new sign-up bonus coming anytime soon? It seems to have been very quiet of late.

• The 2,500 points for £150 deal is still running, link on the Quick Avios page.

• Remember – valid on currency orders too

• Great, thanks :)

• Hi Rob, just been through the post. You stated that HR only allows one account per address. Presumably that means per person and it is ok for my partner to hold an account at same address as me? Thanks.

• I think it is one per household. Mine is at our address, my wife at her parents and my secondary at my parents.

• No it’s possible to have two people at one address but you have to contact customer services to get them to create the account – this happened when we wanted to create an account for my Mum (to transfer out soon-to-expire Emirates miles!) and my Dad already had an account. HR customer services were very helpful (as they always are!) and sorted everything, even gave her a sign-up bonus :)

• Yes, just called before reading your comment and this is exactly what the agent advised.

• Thanks – may drop them a line and change my wife’s address.

• No, per postal address. 2nd account would need to be at 49a High Street if you are 49 High Street, or use work address.

• They can do it manually at the same address if you phone/email them, Rob :)

• You are both correct, when I called, the agent suggested first trying it online but changing address in some way but if it still didn’t work just to call back and they would do sign up over the phone. I explicitly asked if there is a problem with two people in the same household holding an account and the guy was clear that there is not.

2. I can’t see any mention of the offer on the Virgin Red app. Just downloaded for my wife in order to sign her up to Virgin flying club.

• I can still see the offer in the app this morning. You need to scroll through the offers at the bottom to find it

3. Rachel Blundell says:

Hi – is it 3000 Avios for joining the Virgin Flying Club? Or Virgin’s own points. I convert my Abios to BA points. Just wondering how this would work? Thanks

• Rachel Blundell says:

Avios even!

• 3000 vigrin atlantic points. I’m not sure why you would expect Virgin to offer Avios (a competitor currency) for joining Virgin Atlantic via the Virgin app?

• if only we could convert Virgin —> Avios 1:1

I’d be about 100K better off in useful currency :)

so just waiting another 8 years or so until I can use them properly, only been about 17 years of keeping them alive so far

now, like Genghis & MDS, I am just starting to actively accumulate VA in anticipation

• I only got into Virgin miles in the last few months but they’re easy to pick up – this joining bonus, the recent ISA offer, the occasional credit card bonus. It adds another dimension and more opportunity to points collecting.

• Agreed. I convert them to HHonors at 3:2.

• +1

I’ve never paid for a Virgin flight but have redeemed miles several times on VS, as well as Air NZ business class, ANA, VA First Class, etc. all from credit cards, ISA, Virgin Wine, and various special offers, etc.

4. O/T Received my first issue of the Sunday Times travel magazine this morning, which I subscribed to on August 7th. But still no sign of the 4,500 avios. Supposed to have it within 21 days so it’s time to contact customer service. Anyone else in the same boat?

• My direct debit has now been taken (couple of days ago) but no sign of Avios yet either. For those that have received them, how long was the delay between payment being taken and Avios being received?

• On credit card – paid 8th August, posted 24th.

• OK thanks, that’s good to know there was a few weeks in between :)

• they took my DDs today – embarrassed to say the number but just think ‘Snow White/ dwarves’ – too scared to see if I got the points just yet & have a screenshot fight on my hands – thanks Scallder you just gave me a great excuse not to check :)

• Class action if we don’t get them all?

• not that I have the screenshot yet, dudes lol

• too depressed to log into my BA stuff to check

the old hols are coming to an end

school – for the kids – on Monday next – scuse me Raffles, we’re in state schools lol – saving us something like £75000 a year? you tell me (3 kids)

going to sink a drink to cheer me up

• £20k each per year now …..

• what I never understood about independent schools was the logic

OK, I get the networking at top schools

not that many of those so let’s ignore networking

I think at 90% of independent schools, you are paying to get your kids an excellent education, ie top results, even if your kids are middling

but why would you pay all that money instead of getting your kids into the best state schools?

we got our other 2 kids into 2 of the best state schools in the UK, time well spent in coaching them, they will get better A-level results than most students at eg Eton or Harrow

• +1. Avios for me should post by Sunday 4th Sep (within 28 days) so I’m not panicking. All 4 DD payments were taken today.

• By C/C Avios posted mid last week. No magazine as yet.

• DD taken today, and magazine also received today. No sign of the avios yet.

• +1.

First copy of travel mag arrived yesterday morning (no bank hol in Scotland so posty on normal Monday morning duties). Direct Debit take today. No Avios as yet.

As per Genghis, another few days until Avios are theoretically due so will wait till Monday!

5. O/T
    I put a 2for1 through last Monday online, paid the taxes with the Amex gold and it showed up straight away. It’s been pending ever since and today it’s dropped off completely (leaving my account in credit as I’ve already paid Anex back).

There’s no trace of the transaction now. The flight is still in my BAEC account. Anyone had any experience of this? Do I need to make equiries anywhere?

• Have you looked on CheckMyTrip to see if you have an eTicket number OK on the booking?

• Happens to me sometimes. It will disappear but reappear in a few days as two separate transactions for each ticket. No need to panic.

• Ah I think that’s what will happen then. Thank you.

• I booked flights in Jun 16 to fly next year but no sign of Amex charges for tax etc. many weeks later. Liz has had same problem; probably others. They did say that it might take a time as booked 355 days in advance but this is ridiculous as I foolishly used BAPP card which I now want to cancel before another annual fee charged. I have chased but to no avail.
          I have looked on checkmytrip and found the details but cannot see an eTicket number; is this the six character alphanumeric code please?

• No that’s your booking reference. The eTicket number is a long number starting with 125 (if BA-issued) – it should be listed under the passenger details IIRC.

• Thanks, no sign of such numbers; I will keep chasing.

• I have just checked a booking flying next week and the eTicket number is shown; does it show for a flight 11 months in the future?

• Yes it should do once ticketed – can take 24h from booking for this to show up though. Helpful you were able to see it on another booking for comparison though so you know what to look for!

• Hey Mark2 – still no sign of my payment going though – I will phone again when we get back from our USA travels next week – I want to cancel this card which is my husbands and get him to refer me for a new one. Presume if you cancel the card when they come to charge it they will have to contact you for another card.

• Hi Li,
            I received an email this very morn from BA to say that the tickets were now confirmed. When I looked, they now had an eTicket number and. more importantly, they had been charged to my Amex card (after 7-8 weeks). BA did say when I had rung them that they would contact me if the card had been closed, but I was reluctant to take the chance for the sake of 195/12 but now no problem..

• HI Mark, that’s great yours is now resolved – checked again just now and still no payment or email – think it is now 12 wks since I booked – will be phoning them next week when I get back if nothing before then!

• FlyingChris says:

@Charlie – FYI exactly the same thing has happened to me. Last Saturday booked outbound flights online at T-355 with an 241 voucher. Taxes/Fees paid on Amex Gold. Immediately tracked as a pending purchase. Now completely dropped off my account. CheckMyTrip shows an e-ticket number so I’m not too worried – just would like to know when they’ll take the cash. Due to call up to book the inbound leg next week so maybe will trigger something then?

• Hi,
        This is EXACTLY what I’m about to do too. Awaiting the T-355 to hit. The wishful part of me hopes they never claim it :D.

I was informed by the call centre (different query), after being put through by Amex, that there is no telephone booking fee to pay as the flights were not available to be booked when the out outbound was booked. Hope they honour that.

6. O/T bits – EXPEDIA

10% discount code – AFFGQV

seems to work very widely

7. Any sign of an increase in the Virgin Credit Card sign-up bonus yet Rob? I want to go for one but can’t justify the £140 fee for only 18.5k miles.

8. OT but Virgin related. 2k FC miles for new Rocketmiles customers for bookings by end of Sep.

9. OT – has anybody had the 500 bonus miles for a Virgin East coast booking applied?

10. Chris jones says:

can’t see any sign info on this 3k Of miles for the virgin red app?

do you have any details or codes?

• It’s definitely still there. When you open the app swipe right to left on the offers in the lower part of the window and it’ll appear as one of the offers. That’s on an iPhone btw not sure if it’s the same on android

• Chris jones says:

I decide to install it and there it was, put me off installing as it mentions a code for rewards.

also installed on android. exactly the same offers

11. HI

Can someone please advise on the best flight number/Airplane type to take to New York over new year , from the following In First class using my 2 for 1 voucher
    thanks in advance

LHR

British Airways – BA0182
    Non-stop
    6h 50m journey time
    OFF-PEAK
    7 LEFT

• The key to maximising the F experience is actually the aircraft operating the service, which you didn’t list – although personally I try to take the earliest flight possible.

12. its doesn’t tell which plane it is operating I guess I have to use the flight number in google to see this is that correct ?

13. its seems a shame they dont fly the new style first class to new your on the dreamliner

14. biscuiteer says:

Anyone else had problems with getting the 3,000 miles free offer? It was on the Red app yesterday but today it’s gone! (or it could be me!)

15. i was told by insideflyer that the virgin red app only shows the offer for 3000 points if your a Virgin Media customer as i downloaded it about 2 weeks ago for the points but didnt get the offer but have used the app a couple of times already in Nero for BOGOF

16. jaime diaz izquierdo says:

¿3000 miles flying or just to enroll in virgin? please explain to me step by step how to get them, many thank you very much. excuse my ignorance

17. Hi there,

I downloaded the app but I cannot see the 3000 miles widget anywhere.

Is it still there?

18. Thanks for reporting back. Good resolution.

19. TGLoyalty says:

Found Supercard to be terrible for anything over about £50 lucky I have plenty other 0% FX choices

20. OK they sorted out your problem to your satisfaction – but why didn’t they run the beta longer?