Get up to £400 for taking out the Amex Nectar credit card!

We have never covered Nectar points much.  The little coverage we did give it has now migrated over to Shopper Points since we launched that site last December.

Head for Points mainly focusses on credit cards which offer airline miles or hotel loyalty points for your spending.  However, easyJet and Expedia are partners with Nectar.

Nectar has launched an exceptional sign-up bonus

Full details of the American Express Nectar credit card can be found on the website here.  As you can see, the standard sign-up bonus is 20,000 Nectar points.

However, starting from 1st October, you will receive 40,000 Nectar points if you apply via the link on the Nectar website or in the Nectar app.

This is an exceedingly generous deal as I will discuss in a minute.  NOT EVERYONE WILL HAVE THE OFFER although it seems very widespread.

Before we go on, I need to tell you that the Nectar credit card has a representative APR of 25.0%, including the £25 fee (which is waived in year one if you do not have any other Amex cards), based on a notional credit limit of £1,200.

American Express Nectar credit card review

What can I get for 40,000 Nectar points?

In 90% of cases, a Nectar point is worth 0.5p.

You will 0.5p if you swipe your Nectar card in Sainsbury’s to pay for your shopping, or use the points to pay for Expedia flights or hotels, or book an easyJet flight.  In the worse case scenario, your points are worth £200.

If you are prepared to sit on your points for a while, you could do better.

Over the last year Nectar has been offering special deals on redemptions.  Here are some we have covered on Shopper Points:

Nectar Summer Rewards – 2 Pizza Express pizzas or 2 Vue cinema tickets for 1000 points (2p per point)

eBay redemption special – 1p per point when you convert your points into eBay credit

Homebase redemption special – 1p per point when redeeming at Homebase

Sainsbury’s Double Up – 1p per point in certain product categories at Sainsbury’s

Caffe Nero deal – 50 points for a £2+ coffee (4p+ per point)

Let’s imagine that you hold on to your points until a ‘1p per point’ deal comes along.  Your sign-up bonus would be worth £400.

You need to spend £2,000 within three months to receive the 40,000 points.  You cannot apply if you have held the Nectar credit card in the last six months.

If you have a BA, SPG, Platinum, Gold etc American Express card then you will definitely receive the bonus.

Note that you receive the bonus in two parts.  American Express will award the standard 20,000 points via your statement whilst Nectar will add an additional 20,000 points directly to your Nectar account.

What is the annual fee?

The Amex website says that your first year is free and thereafter you pay £25.

The small print, however, says that anyone who holds ANY Amex-issued American Express card, or who has done so in the last six month, does not qualify for the fee waiver.

This means that almost all Head for Points readers will need to pay the £25 fee.  It will be refunded pro-rata if you later cancel the card.

What is the on-going earning?

You earn 2 Nectar points per £1 of general spend.  This is effectively 1% cashback at the very least.  This is not a bad deal, especially if you hold on to your points for a deal worth more than 0.5p per point.

This is a very generous deal and well worth a look.  The £25 annual fee should not put you off.

You can learn more about the card here – I recommend taking a look today if you are interested but do NOT apply!

Remember these two key things:

you MUST apply via the Nectar app or after logging in to the Nectar website via the special promotional page

you must apply in OCTOBER so don’t risk it by applying today, wait until Saturday!

My review of the Hilton Paris Opera hotel - Part 2
British Airways 'buy on board' - how to get a flight refund or 1000 Avios compensation

1. Surely going through TCB first risks losing out on the larger bonus as the initial tracking cookie would be the TCB one rather than the Nectar promo page one.

It MAY work, but it could be an expensive gamble to risk for a compararively low value double dip?

• Roopin Mashru says:

Will keep an eye out from tomorrow to see if the link from TCB offers the 40k points. Currently offers the 20k so fingers crossed!

• Agree, it’s one thing to double dip with an Amex personalised link and TCB (which works about half of the time) but when both offers require a cookie, then usually subsequent cookies don’t overwrite older ones – yet the affiliate network may deny TCB because of this so you risk getting nothing

2. Homebase is dropping out of the Nectar game very soon.

Darn I got the Nectar Amex card a couple of months ago.

3. Are Amex still strict on the 2 credit cards plus 1 charge card rule?

• No, I’ve currently got 3 credit cards (BA, SPG, Nectar) and one charge card (Platinum). I’m not sure it has ever been a rule, a couple of years ago I had a similar setup but with the Gold card instead of the Platinum.

• Rob any official word on this as many readers here may already have 2 credit cards issued by Amex.

• I thought it was 2 + 2. Need to see, if I get accepted I will be on 3 credit and 1 charge.

• When I signed up for the Gold Card last month the website said that you would only get opening offers on 2 credit cards and 2 rewards cards (which, I assume, mean charge cards). I currently have the Everyday cashback card and the Gold card so, presumably, I will be OK on this. My wife on the other hand has a secondary card on my Everyday account along with her own Virgin Airways card. Do you think that having the secondary card would mean that she has her full allowance of 2 cards?

4. O/T Any one got £20 on their MoneyCorp prepay card as adviced here couple of months back.

5. Janet Thomas says:

I never even received my card! Customer service was terrible, but Rob gave me a contact person & I have been promised a refund & goodwill gesture of £40. Thanks again Rob.

• Can you assist with this? I applied, got my card, wife applied, money taken from her account and email that card was en route but never received it. Called them up to be told no record of her, despite money being debited from her bank account and email confirming card on way. Email sent to query, no response, also asked about it at Stansted Moneycorp desk, provided details and email address and phone number, no response. Getting annoyed now!

• Guesswho2000 says:

Same here – I got mine no problem after three days (still no £20 bonus though, btw), my OH got the emails and after two weeks I chased it, they had no idea. Luckily I kept the email, but it had no reference number which they insisted it should have.

In the end I had to kick up a massive fuss because we were moving and wouldn’t have access to the address! They did eventually get back to us and refunded it, but it’s a pretty poor operation.

• Mine hasn’t arrived either – details please?

6. Award of 40,000 nectar points is undoubtedly attractive but valuation at £400 is a little fanciful:
    – The Summer Rewards are by far the most valuable nectar redemption – but there are only so many cinema visits/pizzas to enjoy in the two months available for use.
    – Homebase will leave nectar at the end of 2016. There have been few redemption deals there this year (none even?)
    – Sainsbury’ double-up is one of the most mean-spirited redemptions with a very short claim/spend window, low maximum redemption amounts and hostile spend restrictions
    – Caffe Nero – I don’t think this has been offered since last year

eBay redemptions are the only worthwhile offer for significant amounts of points that earn more than the standard 0.5p value.

• mrtibbs1999 says:

£400 is easily achievable in store during double up. You simply look for items that are reduced already and do well on eBay. I would say a smart person could get over £400 if they chose items solely based on their resale value…

• Who wants to waste time reselling things on ebay? (you, I guess)

• However the maximum double up PER purchase is very limited. You can’t just spend £100 in one go, for example.

• Exactly. Maximum redemption is 4000 points per category (=£40 at doubled up value), and promotions often disappear during the redemption period. You can’t even buy an item at, say, £18 or £19, with £20-worth of vouchers, writing off the ‘change’.

• I had the Cafe Nero offer on my account this year. Never used it though. I did use the Pizza Express offer though.

Even if you only buy stuff at Sainsbury’s or Expedia, £200 is worth having for a 2K spend surely?

• I had a LOT of coffee out of that offer! Would have done more but Nero involves a bit of a diversion for me.

• Well the Sainsburys value puts a minimum value on the points, if your willing to wait then you can probably do better than £200 if the redemptions suit you. I am not a fan of the pizza redemptions.

• I agree that the £400 valuation Raffles uses is IMHO too high. The £200 valuation is probably too low though. Personally, I’d put it at £300 which reflects the rate that you can get the standard Pizza Express vouchers at.

But anywhere between £200 and £400 is pretty decent in my view.

• ‘Up to’ are the key words in the headline! But I think we all agree that if you accept just £200 you’re leaving money on the table.

7. even at 0.5p thats a couple of RTN flights to Malaga or similar with Easyjet. No RFS fee either. You are likely to get an additional 3 or 4points per £1 if your £2K is achieved via Nectar partners, so overall maybe 48K points

• Yeh but who wants to fly an airline that charges you for food and drink, seat selection and has a narrow seat pitch. Would much rather fly BA. Oh wait …

• There is a £13 (or so) admin fee though.

My partner and I both got the 20k bonus in recent months and have had free-ish flights to Athens and Copenhagen using them. If you’ve got no other target to hit you might as well.

• When I pointed out the admin fee in an earlier discussion – not sure whether here or at FlyerTalk – I was informed that the end result was the same. I checked and, bingo, it was.

I think it’s to do with easyJet charging an almost hidden fee on regular bookings. Try pricing up a ticket for one person, then 2/3/4 and see the price per person change.

8. ThatGuyOverThere says:

No sign of my Moneycorp monkey yet either. I have diarised T+90d to chase them up :)

9. damm, i applied a couple of days ago for a 30,000 sign up bonus….

the application hasnt been approved yet.

if it’s approved on Monday, will i get 30,000 or 40,000 ?

10. Sussex Bantam says:

Is this targetted ? Doesn’t appear on my app….

• It may be. Check the website too.

• The targetting is interesting.

We’ve had the offer on the fake name Nectar Account “Mr Lon Don” that we use in the office to collect points from office travel booked through Expedia. (Which we then use to buy coffee and treats).

Wondering if we should apply… We certainly spend more than £2000 a quarter on travel and £400 of treats would go down very well…

11. Sussex Bantam says:

Live chat confirmed it is targetted and wouldn’t add me to the target list ! Boo !

12. Am currently just starting a 6 month Amex sabbatical before reapplying for Platinum and BA Premium in April 2017. Would this card count against that?

13. If the 1st 20000 points is added directly to the CC statement are they ONLY redeemable as Nectar points or can they be used for anything else ie Airline miles?

14. It appears I don’t have the offer. Strange thing is that the amex card isn’t listed at all on the nectar website under “collecting points – Financial services”. The sains cred card is mentioned.

15. The points may come in handy for positioning flights next year.

Completely OT – is it worth buying the max IHG reward points at 100% bonus and then sitting it out for another Etihad bonus conversion?

16. The terms and conditions state:

The first year fee waiver is only available to new American Express Cardmembers. A customer is not considered a new Cardmember if they hold or have held in the last 6 months another American Express Card.

Does this mean anyone with a BA or other amex card will have to pay the first year membership fee?

• Ooh, I hadn’t seen that little gem. Well, if it does mean you pay for it then I probably won’t bother (even though, at £25 its still probably good value)

• Ooh, didn’t see that, apologies. I will amend the article.

Anyone can still get the bonus though.

• Oo er.

However, clicking on the info link on the Amex/Nectar webpage produces this: ‘ All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if you currently hold or have held the Nectar Credit Card in the past six months.’

Looks like a clear limitation to previous Nectar cardholdership only.

I had all but decided to apply, given that PRG and BAPP no longer serve their purpose for me. If I do apply, should I close the PRG and BAPP first?

• Sorry, just re-read wetboy1uk’s post and I see I commented on the wrong benefit.

Looks like I’m doubly disqualified – current BAPP cardholder and previous Nectar cardholder some years ago. Oh, dear.

• This is how I read it :

No fee? Only if you have no Amex cards, either now or past 6 months

No bonus points? Only if you have had the Nectar Amex in the last 6 months

• Agreed. I’ll risk it and wait a couple of weeks to make it 6 months without a directly issued Amex and get it fee free for year 1.

• Are you sure anyone will get the bonus as some people have commented that it is targeted? If so where will it appear on their website?

• Log in on the website or download the Nectar app. The home page of the site, when logged in, shows the offers you are targetted for. It will show there if you are chosen.

17. Is the fee waiver available if you only hold the Lloyds Avios Rewards card, or Virgin Atlantic card for that matter?

18. Anybody who has this offer in their account fancy posting the link here please!?

19. I did a search in the Nectar website and found

Just 20,000 bonus points on offer for me.

• killinghall says:

I don’t see it either in the app or the website, we’re big double up fans so this was attractive but hey-ho

20. mayank kedia says:

I have an Amex platinum and BA card – don’t think I can benefit by a mate referring me for this and both of us getting additional referral points on top of the existing nectar offers?

• No, for 2 reasons:

* only a Nectar card can refer a Nectar card
      * you need to apply via the link in the Nectar app or website showing the 40k offer

21. I’m near the end of my 6 months cool-off period for a new BAPP or Amex Gold.
    Would taking this Nectar card prevent me from getting the bonus on any other Amex cards ?

22. Have trawled through every page and search of the Nectar page whilst logged in and can see no mention anywhere of the Nectar Amex card.
    Can anyone shed any light on where I should be looking.
    I can see and access the link via the Amex site, but the report said not to use this for an application.
    Any thoughts anyone?

23. 1.I have the offer in Nectar app & website. Click through to Amex website and it only shows 20k. (Nectar site says that 20k will come from Amex and 20k from Nectar, so perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised.) Is this what everyone else is seeing?

2. Any problem to log in to Amex website once I’ve been sent there?