Bits: 50% bonus on HSBC transfers to Avios, £15 LON-EDI train tickets, 40% bonus on Hyatt points

News in brief:

50% transfer bonus on HSBC Premier points to Avios

The HSBC Premier credit cards are now the most generous way of earning Avios from a non-Amex.  The free HSBC Premier MasterCard earns 0.5 Avios per £1 whilst the £195 HSBC Premier World Elite MasterCard earns 1 Avios per £1.

The World Elite card comes with a sign-up bonus of 40,000 Avios points so the £195 fee is worth paying!  Details of how the bonus is awarded are here.  You MUST have a HSBC Premier current account to get these cards and the criteria are tough as the linked article explains.

HSBC has just launched a 50% transfer bonus when you move your points to Avios.  This would mean that the World Elite bonus would be worth 60,000 Avios if you transferred it all during a similar bonus.

Details are here on the HSBC site.  Transfers must be completed by 30th November.

HSBC Premier World Elite

£15 one-way Virgin Trains tickets to Edinburgh

Virgin Trains East Coast has launched a new promotion to encourage people who fly between London and Edinburgh to try the train.

Fill in the form on this page of the Virgin Trains website and you will be sent a code allowing you to book a single or return train ticket between London Kings Cross and Edinburgh Waverley, Haymarket, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Dunbar, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Leuchars, Dundee, Falkirk Grahamston, Stirling, Gleneagles or Perth.

The cost will be £15 each-way in Standard Class and £30 each-way in First Class.  Bookings can be made up to one day before travel.

You need to claim your code by 3rd November and book by 10th November for travel by 16th December.

Park Hyatt Mallorca

40% bonus when you buy Hyatt Gold Passport points

Until 25th October, Hyatt is offering a bonus of up to 40% when you buy Gold Passport points.  This is as good a deal as you ever see from Hyatt.

You need to buy 10,000 points to get the full 40% bonus.  Purchases of 5,000+ receive a 30% bonus.  Smaller purchases get nothing.

This is obviously worth a look if you need to top up your account.  It may also be worthwhile if considering a stay in a top tier Park Hyatt such as the ones in Paris or Sydney, where buying the points may be cheaper than paying cash.

The new Park Hyatt resort in Mallorca opened this Summer and looks very impressive, see the photo above.   Prices are a little scary in Summer (rooms from Euro 600-700, or Euro 800-900 if you want a cancellable one) so a redemption at 20,000 points per night ($360 under this offer) would be a good deal.  Even better, ‘cash and points’ is now available for Park Hyatt Mallorca.  This takes a room down to 10,000 points + €114 per night.

The Hyatt ‘buy points’ site is here.

Bits: Earn 1000 Miles & More miles with Blacklane, Iberia wine deal, Gatwick schedule changes
Avios added as reward option with hotel booking site Agoda PointsMAX

Comments

1. Russell says:

O/T: I stayed at the Guoman Tower last night to try and trigger the £50 Amex statement credit. Absolutely dire – avoid! It’s obviously not been updated in 20 years, room was very small, incredibly stuffy, windows wouldn’t open more than a crack, aircon didn’t work. The bed was uncomfortable and the pipework creaked and groaned as if it’d had the Madras.

This morning, the fire alarm went off for 2 minutes at 8am and then stopped, leaving everyone half-dressed and wondering whether or not to evacuate (and from speaking to the staff I gather that this is a regular occurrence). They have a single maitre d’ seating people at breakfast which meant the queue stretched all the way around the balcony and back to the lifts – it took 20 minutes to be seated. Finally, they wouldn’t print me an invoice and promised it’d be emailed “immediately” – two hours later, no invoice.

There is absolutely no comparison between this place and the Guoman Marble Arch, which is a grand, modern and swanky-feeling place.

2. Looking at that Virgin form, there’s no actual check that you really have flown during the period – it would be easy to just click on an airline and a date, then hit submit?

If that’s the case, I’ll share with friends in Edinburgh.

• Richard says:

Seemingly not. I did have some flight details to enter, but it then just gave me a voucher code without any possibility of actually having checked them.

Of course, making up details of a past flight would be fraud and bad etc. etc. But they let you enter a date in the future when you PLAN to fly. Saying “oh, I was indeed planning to fly on this date, but I’ve been tempted by your voucher so I’ll take the train instead” would be pretty unimpeachable, even by my prissy ethical standards.

3. Nectar have just announced 50% back on transfers to Virgin – presume this could be combined with this deal for a good value trip to Edinburgh?

• Brilliant deal.

• Wonder if everyone has this? Anika and I both seem to have it.

• Richard says:

I’ve just made a booking, and it looks like you can’t combine the two offers – which I think is because the £15/£30 tickets aren’t technically “Advance” tickets, but a special type called “VTEC Flat Fare”. (The conditions are more restrictive than Advance tickets, in that they’re completely non-changeable, whereas Advance tickets can be changed for £10 + difference in fare.)

Still, the two offers are individually so good that I’m not going to complain too much that you can’t combine them.

4. Sorry, but very OT – Is there a minimum time to wait between applying for your first and second AMEX cards.
    I wanted the gold and then BAPP cards and got the gold first. I have hit the 2k bonus target almost immediately.
    I now need to buy a new lawnmower and want to get the BAPP card first.

Is there a minimum wait?
    Should I wait until the first bill has been received/ paid? Or just do it immediately.

Thanks for your help.

5. Sarah Murray says:

OT. Boots no longer accepting gift cards (bought from Tesco) for PAYG top-ups. (It was nice while it lasted)

• Johnnycl says:

If you have any prescriptions to fill, they accept gift cards for the NHS charge.

6. O/T probably numpty question… looking at booking IHG New York hotels on IHG’s own site and logged into my rewards account, options are priced in US dollars, but I can change the currency to GBP. If I book am I charged in dollars or sterling. The currency would dictate which card I would use and I will be charged immediately as this is an advanced purchase non-refundable rate.

I’m probably overthinking this.. 🙂

• Sterling

• Nope.

Basically it’s up to the hotel. You should be charged in US dollars unless the hotel wants to pull the DCC scam on you (in which case complain).

You will be charged whenever a person at the front desk gets around to it, which depends on the hotel’s policies again. It might the following day, or any time between booking and actual stay.

Being logged in doesn’t affect anything.

If you’re talking about buying points&cash then IHG charges you in US dollars straight away.

7. Ralph Taylor says:

Hi,

Ok a bit confused – so “The World Elite card comes with a sign-up bonus of 40,000 Avios points” is only really a “sign-up bonus” of 20,000 Avios points, and then an anniversary bonus of 20,000 points after spending 12k? Or have I got that wrong?

• TGLoyalty says:

Yes the confusion in the article maybe because you get 40k points on sign up and 40k points convert to 20k Avios then another 40k points/20k Avois for spending £12k by your anniversary date

• The anniversary bonus appears to be a ‘one off’ for the first year only. This is why I include it in the ‘sign up bonus’ calculation.

8. rams1981 says:

First year anniversary bonus of 40,000 points (20,000 avios) on spending 12k I believe.

I still don’t have an investment product and have been able to keep my hsbc premier account for 4 months now. Wonder if they’ll bother chasing me to do something.

9. Great tip for Hyatt – thanks for posting. I’m needing 2nts in Sydney in December having purchased a Qatar ex Pisa to Auckland fare earlier this year and managed to get QR to change the destination changed for Sydney once AKL route was officially postponed. I fancied a splurge at the Park Hyatt which I’ve had my eye on for sometime… but it’s never a bargain there. £657 per night room only is unfortunately beyond my price point which is what the nightly rates costs here. Similar rates via other search engines and bed banks so I know this is what it costs. Alternatively 30000 points a night which given the current Hyatt 40% bonus points promo drops to £399 per night or I can do part points 15000 + £201 per night.

The points purchase costs £420 so works out to be about the same as full redemption overall. All equating to a 40% saving on the nightly rate is not to be sniffed at and will be as good as I’m ever going to get there….. and i can just about justify this to myself.

However I’m still toying with the Pullman Circular Quay and the avios/IB promo you mentioned the other day as for similar (in fact slightly less) cash outlay I can rack up a decent(ish) stash of avios and tip into Accor Platinum status as a result just before the scheme changes for the worst on 01JAN. I also have an existing cheaper reservation at another hotel which I confirmed and prepaid at pre-brexit rates via Kaligo with 7,800 avios attached so I just need to work out which is going to give me the best overall return taking into consideration outlay cost, avios return and enhanced accor benefits.

I think in typing this I’ve just answered my own dilemma regarding the Hyatt! All the above offers and benefits learned via this site…. you certainly don’t make life easy alerting me to all these offers but it is incredibly enjoyable experiencing (some) of them! 🙂

10. AviosHunter says:

I read that the HSBC avios is an annual promotion. Do you know if this is always recurring in the same period of the year? November?

thanks
    AviosHunter

11. Marcelo says:

Thanks Raffles. Just an oversight:

You actually get 40000 reward points and not avios woth the HsBC card and conversion rate is 2:1 therefore you get 20000 avios + 50%

12. Johnny5a says:

Hi Raffles, the link in your article above is broken. I wonder if the offer has been withdrawn. When I go to the website to do a transfer to Avios, it just starts the standard conversion rate.,

• The offer is definitely running, various reports on Flyertalk of the bonus being received as well as Yuff’s above.

• Was just about to transfer HSBC to avios but it the calculate does not add 50% bonus at all.
        Do you have to register in advance or will the bonus be applied retroactively?
        Thanks

Trackbacks

1. […] UK frequent flyer blog Head For Points, you just have to enter your name, email address and the date when you were planning on travelling […]