Bits: BA premium flights and holidays sale, CityJet to launch flights from Southend

News in brief:

British Airways Luxury Sale now on

We have been a little slow in covering the latest British Airways  premium sale, apologies.

The prices don’t look too exciting, but it’s well worth having a look to possibly find a good deal.

Until 8th November – so you still have a week to book – you can get :

Club World flights to New York from £1,475

Club World holidays from £1,478 p/p

Club Europe holidays from £271 p/p

It looks like you can book as far ahead as September 2017 so it’s well worth thinking about the next Summer holiday.

The BA Low Fare Finder tool remains the best way to see what deals are available.  Apart from the New York deal above, there is also Boston £1555, Montreal £1435, much of India for £1700, Muscat £1498 and Beijing £1799.  That is about it under £2000.

All prices are based on two people travelling together and include business class flights and accommodation.

CityJet 350

CityJet to launch flights from London’s Southend airport

The Irish airline CityJet and Stobart Group are currently discussing the possibility of new routes from London Southend Airport starting in April 2017.

The proposal is that CityJet will operate up to 18 new routes from Southend on up to four aircraft.

In 2012, with the arrival of easyJet, Southend Airport saw initial success but further expansion seemed a bit difficult.  Rob visited the airport earlier this year and was impressed by the modern terminal and the direct train service from London Liverpool Street.  There is even a decent airport lounge which accepts Priority Pass!  Now with CityJet as a potential partner, Southend Airport is targetting an increase in passengers from 900,000 last year to up to 1,5M a year.

Though the discussions remain ‘at an early stage’ it looks like a formal agreement can be released as soon as next month.  More information can be found here.

Meanwhile, I flew CityJet out to Amsterdam from London City Airport yesterday.  I will write about that next week.

Understanding the Virgin Flying Club changes - Part 1, earning
Credit & Charge Card Reviews (10): Hilton HHonors Platinum Visa

Comments

1. AMEX SHOP SMALL

Spend £10 or more, get £5 back
    Save to Card to get a £5 statement credit when you spend £10+ in-store at participating small businesses between 3 December and 18 December 2016. Valid once per Card per business. Terms and payment restrictions appl

2. OT clubcard-avios:

For every £2.50 in Tesco Clubcard vouchers you exchange between 1-14 November 2016, you’ll not only receive 600 Avios, but also one entry to win one of 25 prizes of 15,000 Avios.

OT clubcard-BAEC:

Received an email last week suggesting it was a prize drawfor a trip to Barcelona for conversions through 30 November.

Given the short duration of these offers I am wondering if a conversion bonus offer might subsequently appear. IIRC that happened in this quarter last year.

• I’m struggling of convert mine manually to Avios. Any one else the same ?

• ankomonkey says:

I had this around a week ago and just had to keep trying until it processed the right amount. I was getting random amounts rather than my full payable balance, though, so it might not be the same issue…

3. Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Has anyone confirmed that BA Holidays triggers the £500 get £100 Amex offer?

4. Have to agree this “sale” is rather underwhelming, didnt surprise me that you hadnt posted anything.

5. Amex charge cards are not impacted by the interchange fee cap :-)

• Are you saying that Amex credit cards are affected by the cap ?

As a retailer, we do not see a difference between any form of Amex whereas we have a myriad of various Visa and Mastercard rates.

6. I wont be flying out of SEN again at ‘peak’ time again (peak time being 2 flight leaving about the same time i.e. 4:30pm Friday). As people have commented on your review, while its a small airport and easy to navigate, their security seems to have this constant ‘go slow’ mentality and even though there were only about 15 people in the security line (with a good 4 – 5 screening staff), it took me 25 minutes to get through (there is only ever one security lane open).
    I think its a bad combination of both staff and pax thinking its a regional airport so they can have bumpkin chats while they leisurely begin their holiday, staff being regional themselves so working on country time, inexperienced flyers (and staff) and no-one being in a rush. Fine is you live nearby and have all day to get to Spain, not fine if you are coming from London after work. LTN and STN security are very efficient in comparison.

I also have the same easyjet boarding issue – they make you all line up outside before the incoming plane even disembarks. Ryanair don’t even do that at STN or LTN.

• Lady London says:

Errrr Ben, Ryanair did just that at both STN and MXP last week – lined us all up on the tarmac when the incoming had barely started deplaning.

7. I wonder if those new SEN flights will be good for connecting to cheap ex-EU tickets? I have to allow a couple of hours to get to Heathrow from Southend so it would take no longer to fly to, for e.g., Dublin from SEN and then get in a flight to the US.

8. OT Been playing around with redemption flights and looking at availability and taxes for Singapore Airlines for dates next summer. We are saving for SIN-BNE which is usually 55K each but at the moment it is coming out at a 15% discount 46750. IS this a current promotion ? I cannot find any emails on this from KF and I cannot find an expiry date on the KF website. THanks!

• Singapore offers an automatic 15% discount for online booking.

• Is this a permanent thing. What happens if you have 2 separate KF accounts – I presume you need to make 2 separate bookings? THink I did this wrong and set up 2 accounts instead of one.

9. The post office promo last year was excellent. I bought the One4All gift cards and then applied them to Amazon for essentially a 50% discount.

10. Wally1976 says:

OT – going to be flying from CDG T2D to LTN with Easyjet. The Priority Pass website says that the Sheltair lounge is only for Schengen flights – is that correct? Thanks

11. FlyingChris says:

OT – Got the following Amex offer:

HYATT
    Spend £250 or more, get £50 back
    Save to Card to get £50 statement credit on a transaction of £250 + on all spend at checkout, when paying and staying at participating Hyatt Hotels by 31/03/2017. Valid once for the first 10K Cardmembers to save. T&C’s apply.

The terms mentioned “Reservations must be booked on hyatt.com”. I’ve got a stay next August that I was going to book on a pre-paid advance purchase rate online. From anyone who’s had one of these offers before, what’s the possibility it might trigger? Do Hyatt usually charge the card immediately on a fully prepaid rate?

12. Small Comment here for Brexiters that think EU regulations are such a drag (which turns out they are not).

It was the UK that pushed for the interchange cap.
    Secondly, the Eu limit is 0.8%. The UK being the only country putting less.
    Finally, since none of this has appeared in consumers pockets, well, Torry friends (business owners) bag the difference.
    You can complain about the EU, but please do the research first.

• That isn’t how business works, unless you expect shops to increase or decrease prices every time a single input cost goes up or down.

13. Regarding the BA offers. I only received one offer of the £100 off a £500 BA spend on one card so I emailed AMEX via the secure messaging asking about other cards I and my wife have.
    The offer has been added on so I can now make a few bookings and get £100 off each.

14. QR sale now on too from Uk. If you are chasing TPs that is! KL and Seychelles not bad.

15. QR sale, EX EU just found HEL to PHUKET end of Jan for £770 approx pp return in J. But long layovers with hotels included…in case anyone wants some last minute Asia sun. Plus tier points…

• Can’t see that. Any codes or is this the companion fare ?

• I only see circa €1900 or so return.

I could route through HKT to BKK for that sort of fare ?

• Tally, yes it’s a companion fare, plenty of seats late Jan, you have to pull up the 15 day view. I just looked at HEL to HKT, and it’s working out at £770 pp. not via BKK at all. This is via DOH only. I didn’t look at BKK. You actually have to run along the dates to find the reduced rates. Plenty there, l promise you. We have already got Vietnam booked for Jan from OSL from the last sale, and these prices are even better. Takes time and effort to find what suits you. I just put it out there so people are made aware. So good hunting.
        NO code needed.
        Rob will post when he gets back, he said.

16. OT someone has mentioned here that to achieve a target spend on Amex to trigger BA 2-4-1 voucher they would consider buying fully flexible 1st class ticket. Has anyone tried this? The bit that interests me is when you receive refund back on your card how do you transfer it back to your bank account?

• the real harry says:

that would be easy enough but I personally am not really in favour of this method

obviously Amex can’t keep your money when you close an a/c

• RR, might be better buying gift cards for your food and petrol purchases In advance. Pay some bills at the co,op pay point etc with Amex. DVLA, post office, Amazon. Only bill l can’t get on Amex now is SKY. That’s definite spend you know you will have anyway? Yes they will refund you when you cancel your card, by cheque or BACS. Refundable flight, the last option usually. Of course, people’s plans change.

17. Cuchlainn says:

OT – NECTAR AMEX offer email ( targeted ?)
    Email this afternoon for 30K ( 20K welcome bonus & 10K sign up ) Nectar points for sign up in Nov, spending £2,000 in 3 months – not on my Nectar app, my Nectar online a/c or my AMEX offers ??
    More bizarre is that I signed up for the 20K+20K Nectar AMEX card in the October offer !!!!

18. Lady London says:

I can recommend the Holiday Inn which is right at the entrance to the airport. Well run, decent pricing, also 15,000 points. Get there early if you’re parking though, the hotel carpark can get totally full and even hotel guests sometimes can’t park.

19. As i have stated before it is time to put a stop to all of this special fare & perks nonsense , fares should be set at a reasonable rate for all of the travelling public , not this we are better than you nonsense , we own a Business, or we get employer perks by travelling on our Employers expense account , all points earned via Employers expense accounts should be turned into the Employer for re-distibution to the Employees that never get out of the Work place other than the usual yearly Holiday , and as far as I see Britain has so many Holidays , it is no wonder that nothing really ever gets done, every time you call a Major Company especially BA all you hear is this person is on Holiday .yet no one is monitoring that missing persons account , now blastant Discrimination with Excess Baggage charges for India what next ? Disgraceful way to run an Airline !!!!!! the people posting here sound like trhe spoiled entitlement group that I find so obnoxious when travelling , and have spoiled travel for everyone these past ten years .

• Please forgive any typo errors never was a touch typist & low visoin now does not help >

• I couldn’t disagree more with your post, specifically that points earned for work travel should belong to the employer. I see these points as compensation for having to be away from my wife and life in London. Many people (including some of my colleagues) don’t bother with loyalty schemes. Should they then be rewarded with the fruits of my hard work from tips gained on HfP?

• kasiM Dabalou says:

He thinks you should be on an 11 hour red-eye flight from Vancouver down the back with your knees getting crushed by the reclining seat in front (travelling in your own time), with a screaming kid either side of you, and one beyond you constantly kicking your chair mercilessly for good measure. And that it would be preferable that your catering options are non-existent….

And for you not to be compensated in any way by the company you work for, as ‘Britain has so many holidays’ as it is that your trip away for business was just a holiday and should be booked as annual leave. Forget the lounge as well, and any status, if you travel for work, you should be slumming it with the rest of us, forget hassle of going through security x many times, your work travel is a holiday – be grateful for all the hassle when security want to re-scan your bag and get you to empty it for the sake of looking professional (LHR T5).

I hope you had a great holiday.

• the real harry says:

nobody is better than anybody else (at birth) but we make our own luck – in the UK – by studying, getting smart etc, finding a good job & developing a well-rounded personality

so it strikes me as somewhat antediluvian that you should argue that people who have made their way up by hard work & study, such that they should be in positions where their company pays for their expensive travel on serious business – whereby they earn points – & give up their weekends & other time – should have to donate those points to a pool (or ‘cesspit’) where lazy so-&-sos can get some of those points just for ‘being there’ or ‘turning up’