Buy Avios from 0.85p in new Iberia Plus promo

Until 31st December, Iberia Plus is offering a 50% bonus when you transfer your Iberia Plus Avios points to another member.

This offers an interesting opportunity to pick up a few cheap Avios points and may also allow you to consolidate Avios from other family members into your account.

As usual, you can only take part in this offer if you have an ACTIVE Iberia Plus account.  This means that your Iberia Plus account is 90 days old and has earned 1 Avios point.  If you do not have an Iberia Plus account, I strongly recommend you open one now and get 1 point into it (an Amex Membership Rewards transfer, for example) so you are able to take part in future Iberia offers.

This is how the deal works:

iberia-avios

You need to go to this page of the Iberia website and click on ‘Transfer’.  If you are not logged in, you may need to log in first and then click this link again.

The pricing goes up in chunks so I have only shown the most attractive option at each price level:

Transfer 6,000 Avios – receiver gets 9,000 Avios = €30 fee (£25, 0.85p each)

Transfer 12,000 Avios – receiver gets 18,000 Avios = €75 fee (£63, 1.0p each)

Transfer 18,000 Avios – receiver gets 27,000 Avios = €115 fee (£97, 1.0p each)

Transfer 24,000 Avios (max) – receiver gets 36,000 Avios = €160 fee (£135, 1.1p each)

If I wanted to do this, this is how it would go:

I would use ‘Combine My Avios’ to move 6,000 Avios from my ba.com or avios.com account to my iberia.com account

I would pay €30 to transfer 6,000 Avios into the Iberia Plus account of my wife, effectively paying 0.8p for each of 3,000 ‘new’ Avios created

My wife would use ‘Combine My Avios’ to move 9,000 back from Iberia Plus into her avios.com or ba.com accounts

This deal won’t work for many people because it requires both you and your partner to have active Iberia Plus accounts.  If you do qualify, however, it is worth a look – even if you only buy 3,000 Avios for £25 by taking the cheapest option listed above.

Thanks to Chris.

Bits: BA strike off, 100% Heathrow Rewards bonus, Blacklane / Lufthansa bonus
Bits: underwhelming BA sale now on, new Qatar amenity kits launched

Comments

1. Surely your wife first transfers 6k Avios back to you – paying EUR30 for another 3k bonus – and then you repatriate your respective balances back to your BAEC accounts?

• If it’s anything like BA, you can do multiple transfers to same person. Been a while since I did it but I transferred 24,000 BA Avios a couple of years back in chunks of 6,000 so total cost £100.

2. Anyone fancy doing a buy-swap?

3. If you were only interested in flying WT then the BA sale is all right, and what is underwhelming is this Avios “sale”.

4. the 18k avis offer – should the 700 or so avios for a normal rental have hit my acct by now?

5. You can extend the HFP advice and do double transfers. I will illustrate transfers between household account holders A and B.
    1. A transfers avios to A Iberia + account 2.A transfers avios + bonus avios to B Iberia+ account 3. B Iberia avios moved to B avios.com account. 4. Move B avios from avios.com to B BA account. Then

1a. B transfers avios to B Iberia + account 2a.B transfers avios + bonus avios to A Iberia+ account 3a. A Iberia avios moved to A avios.com account. 4a. Move A avios from avios.com to A BA account.

I know this works because I have just done it and the original BA avios and the bonus avios are safely back to the BA account

6. For this promotion it looks like the valid account criteria are 3 months OR points which makes it easier for a one way (in future!).? The T&C’s say “The issuer and the recipient must both have been Iberia Plus cardholders for more than 3 months or have an Avios balance higher than 0” – key point being the OR ?

• Ok. But to get them out of IB and back to BA, you would need to meet both criteria unless the rules have changed.

7. Looks like you can do 2 out transfers maximum per account.
    It wouldn’t accept a 3rd transfer.
    still 6k avios for 60€, not bad.

8. Wally1976 says:

I’m not a buyer at this price I’m afraid. 0.5p/Avios is my absolute maximum.

9. OT – Sunday Times Travel Magazine 4 500 Avios offer.

Finally got my points posted today – five days off 3 months from taking out the sub.

Only got them after I e-mailed a number of senior staff yesterday. One of them replied **immediately** that he would look into the matter, phoned me and e-mailed me yesterday afternoon with a promise that the Avios would be in my BAEC a/c by the end of today.

They are and I thanked him. But it really should not be necessary to go through all this!

• Lucky you…what an appaling organisation for a so called top paper.

• TGLoyalty says:

So strange. Mine posted without issue within a couple weeks 4,500 to both Avios and BAEC

Obviously they didn’t expect the take up they got and weren’t prepared for that level of orders?

• First lot of Avios posted within a couple weeks, 2nd, with a little chasing, arrived today.

Customer services polite and helpful-no mention of Genghis clogging up the system! :) .

• th real harry says:

ISTR he only got 4

• My partner is going to have to contact the manager in question – she has not got hers either.

Their original excuse was that names and BAEC numbers did not match up. As these were gift subs, I suspect that they were trying to mach our numbers with the unrelated recipients.

CS then got her purchase and mine mixed up, which I did not notice for a long time, as I assumed that the e-mail tracking number was they bit that mattered, but CS told me that they totally ignored that!

10. With 3 of us in the family, I should get 6 transfers. The first 3 A-B-C-A went through instantly. I’ll do the reverse loop tomorrow,

18,000 Avios for £154.32 makes 0.857p per Avios. I think I am averaging 1.4p redemption value (very subjective, I know) so the net profit will be £100 for half an hours fiddling.

11. OT: I made a MR transfer to Hilton, but this did not reflect an extension of expiration of my HHonors points. I thought this was considered as activity as per previous reports. can anyone confirm please?

12. OT. Tesco payqwik. Just had email offering another 100 bonus points for the next 5 transactions by 15th Jan.

• Interesting – I haven’t had any emails from them, wonder if it’s targeted or widely available? I switched away onto using Android Pay to get entries in their Christmas Cracker compo but would switch back!

• Targeted I think – I’ve just gone back into the email and read the small print :

“Offer only available to existing PayQwiq customers who receive this email from PayQwiq. One offer per customer. Clubcard points will be added to a future Clubcard statement. “

• Ah OK, shame. Thanks for checking.

• Hubby got this email on his Tesco account but I didn’t get it on our original joint account. We did 5 trsactions on the same day across both accounts back in October. I never get any Tesco offers on our joint account even though the preferences are set to receive offers and emails. It’s annoying.

• TGLoyalty says:

Had the same but the west midlands is a PayQwiq waste land and no trip to London planned, never know though.

• It’s widely on offer now theoughout the country – not just London and Edinburgh anymore.

• Indeed, seems to work on any self-service tills that have been upgraded to take contactless (the Riverside Drive ones never have a queue at the self-scan ones where you take the scanner round the store either, love them!)

• Liz is correct, its available in a lot of the UK now. I’ve used it in many Edinburgh, Glasgow and Coatbridge stores in November and their website suggests its had a major roll out with the map showing many areas covered.

I got the email on 3 CC accounts out of 4. The account on which I didn’t get the email on was the most recent one I used PayQwiq for in Nov to get the last bonus so I reckon its targeted at those that signed up a while ago but haven’t used it recently. The other 3 on which I did get the email were the ones I used to get the Sept bonus and never used again after the 5 transactions.

15 more transactions to do before 15th Jan…….easy Avios :)

• I signed up and tried to use it at the newly installed tills at our Tesco local a couple of months ago, but it hadn’t been enabled there yet. I really CBA to try it again, as it seemed like such a faff, what with having to get my phone out, unlock the phone, open the app etc. Even the archaic method of putting a card into a C&P machine and typing in a 4 digit number, rather than using contactless, is easier. But then I’m the person who will leave home without a phone, but not without a wallet, never the other way around.

13. I have 2 IB accounts but only one has a balance, both over 90 days old.

Does this preclude me sending from the one with a balance to the one without and as that then receives Avios, making it available to send back ?

14. Can someone one help me.

My Dad has a 241 Amex voucher which he wants to use next year, however he doesn’t have the required Avios for trip his short 40k. He plans on buying an extra 30k next week, but will still be short 10k. I spoke to BA today who confirmed that we are unable to pay the rest as a cash substitute as you would cash and Avios bookings. Is this correct?

• th real harry says:

what do you want us to say? info is correct

easy enough to buy the missing Avios or just acquire them more cheaply in other ways

• Yes they are correct. You can pay a cash ticket and reduce the cost with “part pay with avios” to reduce the cash required. With an avios redemption ticket however there is no leeway, you must pay the full avios cost and cannot reduce the number you need by paying extra cash.

There are usually MUCH cheaper ways to get avios than to buy direct from the companies. Is there not a friend they could refer for an Amex? The above is a cheaper way to do it than buying outright if you go for the 0.85p per avios method.

• Get a referral for an Amex MR card / BA card / SPG to get the sign up bonus from the required spend / convert from Tesco. Avios are easy enough to pick up. I’ve picked up 200k in a few months it seems…

• You can reduce the number of Avios you need for a redemption by paying part cash. You get a list of various options, with decreasing numbers of Avios and increasing cash amounts. (Obviously, the first one is the normal Avios cost and the normal taxes and fees). I’ve done it a couple of times before. But I’ve never done it with a 2for1 voucher, so can’t comment on the veracity of Amex’s information.

15. A bit OT.
    I cannot move Avios to or from my wife’s Avios.com account for some reason from either BA or IB. I realised the address needed updating and I have done this but it is still not working. Nothing else has changed. Anyone any ideas. All other details are identical on Avios.com, IB and BA accounts.

• th real harry says:

no household accounts?

• Only BAEC. Never been a problem before and of course should not stop IB Avios.com movements.

• th real harry says:

have you tried both push & pull? if it doesn’t work logged into one, go to the other & try again

• Tried that in all four ways. I think an email or phone call may have to be made if no better by tomorrow. Having said that, with the strikes I imagine the call centres will be a mite busy!

16. We just acquired 3,000 Avios each using the small change left on the Moneycorp Explorer cards recommended by Rob in about August plus the £20 offer on each.
    I also discovered 755 Avios on wife’s Iberia account that I had overlooked.

• How did you get the 3000 Avios? I still have the small change on my card…

• I had the small change in Euros and the £20 extra from the offer. I converted the £20 to euros giving me EUR30 for this offer. I am now undecided whether to cancel the card in case there is another offer or keep it for when we go to US in June.

17. The initial 700 Avios from the 3 day car rental have just posted in my Iberia Plus account – now waiting for the remaining 18,000!

• th real harry says:

how long will you wait before you put in a claim?

30 days
      60 days
      90 days?

• keeeeeoq..corwwww [heavy menacing breathing] …’I find your lack of faith disturbing’ *reholsters light saber and walks back towards Death Star*

• th real harry says:

I hope you get’em :)

• 700 posted today for me also Squills.

Can’t vouch for others but I’ll be getting the extra (due) 18k.

Along with the recent 18k Avis competition win, and another 20k coming next week(Gold Card), the avios account(?) is looking good.

The problem is what to do with the things (not to mention two 2-4-1’s) – we’ll see!

Anyhow, must move on, Mrs Gummidge panicking with Festive Preparation- just the two fridges and freezers packed out with grub!!

:) .

• Promo said 8 (Eight) weeks.

Let’s see what happens at the end of Jan….

18. Iberia website saying “this service is not available” – anyone else having the same issue?

• Just transfered 4 lots of 6000 – to my wife and back again twice. Seems to be working fine.
      Paid by Lloyds Avios Amex – a total of £104.04 for 12130 avios including the credit card rewards so I make that nearer 0.86p/avios at the (zero loading) rate applied today by Amex.

Used 12,000 avios for £120 off 2 CW seats (the 2 for £2015 sale) over Christmas so just replenishes those for a fairly easy £16 saving. Every little helps :-)

• Not working for me earlier either.

19. OT

I need just under 30k Avios in a few days if anyone has any ideas :)

I can’t get Iberia to work and my seemingly only options are to buy from BA / Iberia / Avios or to trade / buy from another party.

20. Sending Avios to an Iberia account older than 90 days is enough to activate it. I just did it.

I sent 4 * 6000 from Account A to Account B generating 12,000 bonus miles and then did the reverse from Account B to Account A (4 * 6000).

The first 4 went thorough without issue in seconds. The last 4 (from Account B to Account A) needed me to reach out to Iberia.

Price with Supercard was £25.56 (€30) * 8 = £204.48 for 24,000 Avios = 0.852p per Avios.

Buying the same 24k Avios from BA would have cost £399 so a 49% saving there.

OT BA now has different prices to book different seats.Price ranges from £77 for 5A/B etc. to £86 for row 3 and £95 for row 1

Trackbacks

1. […] blog britânico Head For Points calculou o custo unitário por faixa de […]