Bits: £30-£50 of free Gett taxi credit, 25% bonus on TopCashback conversions to Avios

News in brief:

Get £30-£50 of free taxi credit when you download Gett

Gett, the taxi app which operates in London and various other cities across the UK, is currently offering up to £50 of credit to new members when they are referred by a friend.

The credit comes with a catch – it comes in the form of 10 x £5 credits and expires after two weeks.

(EDIT: it seems it is ‘up to’ £50 and some people receive 10 x £3. This may be if you are outside London. I referred myself as a test on Sunday and got 10 x £5 so the kids get a taxi to school all week!)

However, if you take a lot of short taxi rides on a regular basis (or could be tempted to do so if they were free or virtually free!) then this is a good deal.

Details are on this page on the Gett site, together with my refer a friend code GTEWGXS if you don’t know anyone who can refer you themselves.

25% bonus on TopCashback transfers to Avios

TopCashback has launched a new two-month bonus when you convert your cashback to Avios points instead of taking it as cash.

The bonus is 25%.  You will receive 125 Avios points for every £1 on cashback you send over to TCB.

This means that you are effectively buying Avios points for 0.8p each.  This is a good deal in my view.  If I had to do ‘something’ to earn Avios – such as buying some LEGO for bonus Clubcard points and reselling it – then I would be looking for a lower price than 0.8p.

However, as this is a ‘no work’ job, and as I know from the last few years that I will get an average of 1.2p of value from my Avios redemptions, I am happy to convert my existing cash balance over.

If you are currently using Quidco for your online shopping you may want to switch over to TopCashback as part of this deal.  If you use our refer a friend link here you will receive a £7.50 bonus, which would transfer into 937 Avios, when you have earned your first £10 of cashback.

REMINDER: Get exclusive benefits on luxury hotel bookings via Head for Points
Review of the Aspire Lounge at Inverness Airport

Comments

1. You may find that some of your earning partners exclude conversions to BA. Tesco car insurance, late rooms, jet2 are just a couple of examples. I’m sure there are several others out there.

• Which is a slight pain, but at the end of the day, cash is pretty good too.

2. Gett is offering UP TO £5 off next 10 rides. I received £3. Still good though. Thanks Raffles.

• Eh? How does that work? I referred myself as a test on Sunday and I got £5 x 10. Just took the kids to school in one for a net cost of 50p.

• 3£ off for me as well…initial screen say up to 5£, but only 3£ appeared on my new account…

• Are you living in London? As all you need to give them to sign-up is a mobile number I can’t imagine how they decide who gets £5 and who gets £3. All I can imagine is that they take your location when you sign-up and London people get more?

• I also got £3 only so I sent them an e-mail 8 days ago and asked for a clarification,
          but I never got more than an automatic reply which says “we will be in touch in the next 24 hours.”

– “If you are already a member of Gett you could sign up a friend or partner and then delete and reinstall the app on your phone using their log-in details.”

Are you really sure about this?
          That certainly won’t work with Uber, they somehow register your device so new credit card, phone number and e-mail is to no avail.
          And they won’t tell you until you actually try to order an Uber!

• You can definitely do this with Gett, because I switch account each time I hit the referral cap :-)

• Uber definitely track mobile numbers and credit cards and spot re-use – not sure they log device ID though, but clearly the first one limits things a little bit (credit cards not an issue for us on HfP!)

• But the mobile number linked to an Uber a/c does not need to be the mobile of that phone. Even better actually as you never get annoying calls from drivers …. Same with Gett.

• Indeed not, although depending upon pickup location you sometimes need to be contactable by driver – also Uber sometimes won’t let you place a booking until you’ve entered the confirmation code that is sent by SMS.

• Never had that in probably 500 rides!

• Weird – I had it whenever I tried to setup a new account when I was travelling in the USA – they might have higher security for repeat signups there.

• Uber will most certainly track the device ID.
          How exactly it’s I don’t know, here’s some theories regarding Android.

“How does Uber restrict only one sign up on one phone device?”

3. Personally I think 0.8p is now the official cut off as sanctioned by the buy on board Percy Pig exchange rate.

4. An off-peak return to Munich/Berlin/Paris etc is 8,000 Avios plus £35. If you’ve paid 0.8p per Avios, that makes the return flight £99, which is cheap. Granted, it may be possible to get one for a similar price in a sale, or if you book way in advance, but there is no flexibility involved, as there is with redemptions. I’d say that 0.8p is absolutely fine – as long as you’re also getting Avios from elsewhere for less.

5. Decisions, decisions….

I have £526 in my TC account (65700 avios) do I take the miles or the money?

• Only you can answer that. But decide. I wouldn’t like to have that much money sitting in a cash back site. Well known names can go bust, and unlike banks there is no protection if a cash back site stops trading.

6. the real harry1 says:

O/T GBP – looks like £ started its bounceback today, big implications for those in our points game – worth following how it evolves IMV

• Lol slight hyperbole by the reporter there – the GBP only ‘soared’ insofar as it regained some of the ground lost from the announcement of Article 50 being triggered tomorrow…

• the real harry1 says:

my point would be the UK inflation scenario has about-turned after several good years

interest rates can only go up (nowhere down to go!) so [that’s the main reason] I reckon we’re looking @ $1.40+ again by Xmas

despite Brexit etc, GBP becomes another safer haven currency than many options, never going to be a Swissie in my lifetime but it might shortly be seen as an Aussie dollar or an alternative currency similarly regarded, so carry premium value despite our rubbish economy currently

• Sussex bantam says:

Harry – I think you’re wrong on exchange rates. Want to bet ?

20gbp to the winners favourite charity ??

• Newspapers have their own definitions of surge and plunge – anything more than 0.5% usually.
        But I hope so; we are off to US in June.

7. the real harry1 says:

O/T Tuesday evening/ gone quiet

anybody going anywhere good for Easter? We’re going out – surprise surprise – to our place in the sun (Europe this time Genghis lol) – fares x4 currently selling @ £2500 so we got a laughable 3.93p* / Avios :)

• Genghis says:

Are there two places in the sun? ✈️

• the real harry1 says:

how did you do that, thou artful dodger?

• Genghis says:

iPhone emojis ✈️☀️
          That’s how the kids speak these days isn’t it?

• the real harry1 says:

ah I get it, bit slow on the uptake, obviously

I’ve got a motorway mobile phone (he says, trying to join in, I’m just like these younger fellers really), I keep it in my glove compartment

and I got a text message once

probably need my kids to update me on this kind of stuff heh heh

• Brian W says:

“Motorway Mobile”………that made me chuckle Harry :)

• I’ll be working!

8. caerdydd says:

( so the kids get a taxi to school all week!)
    Is there a bigger divide between the Londonistan bubble and the rest of the country than that statement ,so Rob have you given your chauffeur the week off!!

• We don’t own a car though ….

Although that would be hugely more expensive than a combo of a) taxis and Uber, b) Zipcar – which is 30 seconds from our door and c) Hertz – which is 10 minutes walk away.

9. Referred my partner for GETT and she was given £50 credit as a lump sum to use, (not in form of 10x£5) and it expires in June. Thanks for the heads up Rob!

10. So now my comments are subject to moderation. I wonder why that is exactly???

11. I got a solid 1.3p / avios value over the last 3 years, only looking at short-haul RFS redemptions. If I add the long-haul Companion Voucher redemptions, that value rockets upward! And since I would value CV over RFS redemptions if I ever ran short of avios, and would focus my redemptions there, there’s an argument that 1.3p / avios is a very conservative estimate of the value I am getting.

12. Sussex Bantam says:

TL;DR

13. Not for me!

14. Er …. because the software guesses at what is spam? De facto I don’t see it before it gets blocked so I can’t block it on the grounds on ranting :-)

15. Genghis says:

:) Brightened up my morning!

16. If the Avios CEO is a mate of yours, why don’t you ask him about the missing Aer Club points, that others are still commenting about. Maybe not a close mate???

17. Very happy to buy a pile of Avios at 0.5p per point!! Even Avios.com hotel bookings – one of the worse value-per-point options – works out better than that.

(And I’ve used Avios to pay for a hotel before. I didn’t have the cash for the trip I wanted, so wouldn’t have been able to go at all otherwise. Sometimes value is not just about the pence per point return.)

18. I’ll give you 0.6p per Avios if you like :)

19. Peter K says:

Good points Rob.

20. The Original Nick. says:

Brightened my day..

21. Brian W says:

I think Julian clearly needs another break in Spain so he can unwind a bit :)

22. Oh please…let it go.

23. You think I should bother the CEO of AGL, who runs a business which made £135m profit last year, ablut 250 missing Avios?

24. I got mine the afternoon I tweeted them about it

25. James,
    Aer club did send my wife 250 avios for a newly created account. Mine(already existing) however did not receive as of the last time I checked, so potentially this may be for new customers without any issues…I commented on this sometime back.

26. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind it being brought to his attention. Especially when it involves an issue with their system, seemingly affecting everyone – that may cause him a larger issue further down the line. Why would a ‘mate’ think that bringing that to his attention is ‘bothering’ him?

27. To be honest I really don’t care about the 250 points.
    Clearly it isn’t the fault of HFP that people haven’t received them.
    But I am disappointed that HFP has not given any guidance regarding approaching Aer Club or Avios, and basically doesn’t appear to care at all that a number of readers have had issues.
    As to claiming that the CEO is a “mate” and then following up with a comment about not bothering him with such a small issue – well I guess your definition of “mate” and mine are somewhat different.
    Let’s hope HFP doesn’t go the same way as BA

28. Who did you tweet?

29. Would you go to see the headmaster of your kids school if you saw a chip in the paintwork on the front door?

I am guessing that I effectively have a number of ‘golden tickets’ which I can redeem at any point in order to get Gavin to help me with something. I am not redeeming one for this.

30. +1 – 250 points, worth £2.50? Really??

31. The voice of reason! Thank you.

32. @Rob. No but I might mention over a drink that the decorators were slacking if it was on every door – if the headmaster were my mate.

33. Couldn’t agree more with the point made about “value” being more than pence per point.

34. Sussex Bantam says:

Just checked mine – £2958 paid out, £344 declined. The declined are almost always those where I changed my mind on a purchase. The only thing I have trouble with is insurance where it seems impossible to get a payout – otherwise virtually everything works…

35. Genghis says:

Not sure I fully understand the Q but not everyone shops online and sometimes in store is just easier?

36. The earning rates can vary, that’s all.

37. Toby Walsh says:

I did exactly the same!

38. This is ‘mate’ in the business sense, ie we meet up every few months and have off the record chats about life. Obviously. But you really need to get over this one, because this is teeny tiny small fry compared to some of the problems you are going to come across if you play this game properly …..

39. You could open another account with a different email address.