BA American Express bonuses increased to 5,000 & 25,000 Avios

American Express has – yet again – increased the sign-up bonuses on the two British Airways American Express cards.

The Premium Plus version, with the £195 annual fee, now offers 25,000 Avios instead of 18,000 Avios. You must spend £3,000 within three months to receive the bonus.

The basic, free, card now offers 5,000 Avios instead of 3,000 Avios. You must spend £1,000 within three months to receive the bonus.

The representative APR on the Premium Plus card is 76.0% variable including the fee based on a £1200 credit limit. The representative APR on the free card is 22.9% variable.

BA Premium Plus Amex

Our full review of the benefits of the Premium Plus card is here.  Amex’s own home page is here.

Our full review of the free card is here.  Amex’s home page is here.  Both reviews reflect these new bonuses.

Last time the sign-up bonus on the free card was 9,000 Avios during the promotion period.  This time the deal is not as good, but still an improvement of 2,000 Avios compared to the usual 3,000.  American Express may be hoping to persuade more people to pay the fee for the Premium Plus card by widening the gap to 20,000 Avios.

The offer will be running for a couple of months until further notice – we don’t have an end date at the moment.

Amex increasing the sign-up bonus is probably a response to Virgin Atlantic boosting the sign-up bonus on its credit cards  earlier this year. You can read more about the Virgin Atlantic offer here.

Disclaimer: Head for Points is a journalistic website. Nothing here should be construed as financial advice, and it is your own responsibility to ensure that any product is right for your circumstances. Recommendations are based primarily on the ability to earn miles and points and do not consider interest rates, service levels or any impact on your credit history. By recommending credit cards on this site, I am – technically – acting as a credit broker. Robert Burgess, trading as Head for Points, is regulated and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority to act as a credit broker.

Bits: pay for access to Etihad lounges, 3x Flying Blue & Lufthansa miles with Accor
Bits: 2400 Avios for £60 LEGO, BA cabin baggage security requirements update, UK lounge reviewers wanted!

Comments

1. O/T – I have about 6k spend coming up which can only be done via Visa/MasterCard. British Gas I’m looking at you. I have the Lloyds Avios card but It will only generate about 1500 pts from this which isn’t great. I’m looking for a better long-term non-Amex card. I’ve got them down to either Hilton or Virgin. But I’m unsure Virgin white or Hilton. I don’t know enough about the spending power of the Hilton. But they have a lot of aspirational properties. (Anon?) Did you have a Hilton card when saving up for the Maldives… or is it just Amex transfers and virgin transfers to generate enough Hilton points. I’m really stuck on which one would be best.
    People’s views would be appreciated.

• Do you have Gold status 6k on that would go a long way towards it.

Rob – Can you pay BG on Amex at a Coop and Paypoint like Council Tax???

• becasue it’s boilers I have to pay over the phone etc before the engineers leave. So Paypoint isn’t really an option, unfortunately. Out of interest how did you save towards the Conrad Maldives?

• A virgin card gives me the option of a Hilton transfer but if the money was spent directly on the Hilton. It would generate more pts to begin with. The virgin card does give the option of either flights or hotels, although. Regarding stays, I don’t really stay enough in hotels to make use of the gold status. This is more towards planning a great holiday every couple of years.

• If your Co-Op has PayPoint and BG takes PayPoint and your Co-Op staff are lax on letting you use an Amex, then yes. In theory the answer is No.

• It’s such a shame Amex isn’t an option using curve anymore. Have you heard any news on curve lately Rob, any chance of Amex restarting their relationship in the future?

• Genghis says:

I pay BG at paypoint co op.

• the real harry1 says:

just stuck £600 through on council tax today 🙂

• Mark1980 says:

Harry, out of interest, can you pay any amount? I.e. the same amount as you would pay on a monthly direct debit? Also, I believe you said the other day that you can pay and get a refund? Do they not frown upon that (I realise all councils may be different)?

• the real harry1 says:

I overpaid £1000 last year & when I asked for a refund I got a few questions on the phone, I said I just got confused & my wife paid some in without me being aware, I got a cheque in the post

you can certainly pay any amount you like in advance so Paypoint is great for initial bonuses

• Genghis says:

With my council you can request a refund of overpayment online. Funnily enough, if I’m ever questioned on why I’ve overpaid I also blame it on confusion with the wife over who’s paid…

• Tried to pay my BG bill at coop yesterday but as a it did not have a barcode it would not work. Do you have to ask for a special bill with a bar code rather than the one for direct debit account which does not have one?

2. Tinseltown says:

I think the 25k has been around for a while. I received the Plus card last year in December and got the 25k avios a few months ago…

3. OT: Is anyone else still having issues with Avios not transferring from the Lloyds credit card. We took out the card in Dec and after 4 months statements have not received any pts. In Dec we were told it was a known linking problem. Jan we were told they had resolved the issue and were dealing with a 12 week backlog. Didn’t call in Feb as assumed they were dealing with said backlog. Phoned Mar and got the case escalated to a complaint with a promise of a phone call back this week – no phone call – called back today and told my complaints case manager only works Tue-Thurs and no one else in Lloyds can help me but him. After 30 mins of arguing I was told the issue is not resolved and that the info back in Jan was basically BS. No timescales can be given – no more info available about other people with the same problems as everyone’s case is individual. I asked about compensation to date as I want the pts for my Oz redemption in May but no compensation will be offered until after the issue is resolved. It’s not been mentioned here for a while so wondered if anyone else was still having the same problem!

• Took mine out in November, everything has posted great including double Avios for first six months, 4500 referral avios and the Avios counted towards my super boost target. Seems a bit arbitrary which accounts are ok. Sorry you are having issues though 🙁

• We got the referral bonus ok and we are getting the double pts on the statements – just not getting the points!

• Tracy how did track your Superboost target? Also have you been paid your Superboost bonus Avios? Thanks.

• When I log into the Avios app there’s an icon in the top right corner the shape of a guitar plectrum. Click on it and it tells you your progress toward the super boost target.

• Thanks. I don’t seem to have it on my app. I’ve sent them a message to find out why.

• Not received the Avios yet, think the end date for the boost is 30th April.

• A small minority – but definitely more than a handful of people – are having these issues. I can’t get to the bottom of it and Lloyds does not seem too bothered. A formal complaint claiming 1.6p for each Avios you are due may do the job.

• That rate seems low – I am just short of 13k miles owed so far and that would cost me £223 to buy – plus time and money on phone calls

• TGLoyalty says:

Have you complained? I called twice over a 6 week timespan so was offered £120 for 2k missing Avios,my troubles and their lack of customer service then got the points 5 days later.

• Yes I’ve complained – see my note – been told no compensation till it’s all resolved but they have no clue how long that will take. Need to wait and speak to “Stuart” the only person who seems to be able to help me!

• TGLoyalty says:

Sounds like my initial complaint, which didn’t resolve the points issue. It was then escalated and I can’t remember the chaps name but that was the point compensation was offered and the problem actually solved.

• I’ve been waiting a few months for my Lloyds Avios to arrive. What a shambles!

4. My partner has the free BA AMEX, if they refer me for the BAPP will I still get the 25000 Avios?

5. david2910 says:

hi could someone advise on this pls? I have existing 2-4-1 booking in Europe, booked last September (before the food & drink changes). I need to change this booking: a) flying from London to Europe zone 2, open jaw return to London from Europe zone 1. I was informed I cannot do this with avios. I had understood that open jaws were no longer zonal but relative distance based? updated view on that? 2) I said OK but then just cancel my booking, return my voucher, and i’ll book again later – requesting that because I booked prior to F&B changes that I shouldn’t pay cancellation fee. this was rejected due to that previously being complementary. Both of these responses sound wrong to me?

• the real harry1 says:

I don’t think very many people actually got a free cancellation due to the cancellation of free F&B – a few might have slipped through but not the usual offer from BA

you could escalate it if the first answer is no

6. Rob

Will you get advanced notice of when this offer closes?

How safe am I to delay applying for a bit in assumption your daily email will give a few days notice that offer us ending?

7. Jonathan says:

I’ve got the BAPP card and about to downgrade to free, but I’ve got an offer of 3000 avios if I apply for a supplementary card. It’s says terms apply, but I can’t find them. Does anyone know what the Ts&Cs are for this?

8. If I have the ‘standard’ BA Amex will I be eligible for the 25,000 bonus if I upgrade?

9. OT but Amex related. Thinking about applying for the Amex plat charge card. Have some travel lined up shortly tickets purchased on BA Amex some time back. Does anyone know how strict they are if I end up having to make a baggage delay claim but ticket not purchased with plat? That’s per t&c in the platinum travel insurance document anyway… thanks in advance!

10. O/t I got an offer to upgrade from gold Amex to platinum with 10 MR points with no spend. I’m just wondering if this is a good deal as Ill be leaving the country by the end of the year, but I really wanted to use the Hertz benefits which u get with Amex gold but platinum doesn’t really seem to offer that much :/

• Given that you’ll be paying £38 per month for Platinum, it is only a good deal if you upgrade and then immediately cancel. However, it is a clean cancellation (you can’t downgrade to Gold without having to pay the £140 annual fee immediately) so you may not want to do it if you’re using the Hertz benefits.

11. Binned the BAPP recently as treatment as a customer is becoming bo11ocks !

Would I get the 5k for getting the free one (then intending to cancel having spent the required £1k on it) since I held the BAPP very recently ??
    Probably the same as holding one & applying for the other at the same time, to hold both.

• You’d need 6/12 clear of hold BAPP before getting sign-up for free one as they’re from the same ‘family’ of cards.

12. O/T Quick question. If I upgrade to the Platinum card and get my 10k MR points which Amex have offered, and say 2 months later downgrade back to the Amex Gold, does that mean I’d still get to keep gold status with the hotel partners? Also how much roughly would I have to pay for the platinum annual fee as I think the advisor said the £450 fee would be added to my next statement.. after 2 months am I likely to get the majority of it refunded if I downgrade?