How we got into China without a visa last night

We are currently at the Waldorf-Astoria in Beijing on the last leg of our Asian holiday.

If you have been to China in recent years, you will know that the visa situation can be expensive and time consuming, especially if you don’t have easy access to a good agency.

We are currently in Beijing for a grand total of 36 hours.  This was partly due to necessity – it was easy to get 4 seats on British Airways for Avios out of Beijing but impossible from Tokyo in peak season where we were – and partly because my wife wanted to see a friend who is working here.

You no longer need a visa for most major Chinese cities if you are in transit.  ‘Transit’ is defined as ‘arriving from one country and leaving to another’ so you cannot use it for a brief visit to China from the UK and then head home.

It is perfectly fine to do what we did – Tokyo to Beijing to London.

You MUST take the transit visa in the first Chinese city that you touch on your routing.  If, for example, you had booked Tokyo – Beijing (change of plane, not leaving the airport) – Shanghai, you CANNOT get a 72 hour visa for Shanghai.  It must be done in Beijing or not at all.

China transit visa

You do NOT need to book both flights on the same ticket.  They do not even need to be on the same airline.  All that matters is that you can provide a copy of your eticket at immigration.

The time period varies by city – for Beijing you can have up to 72 hours.  You cannot leave Beijing during this period.

It was, to be honest, a slow process.  Only one line was handling the 72-hour transit visas.  When we reached the front, we had to fill out an additional form on the spot (this form is needed if you are staying for 24+ hours) and our passports were then taken away for 20 minutes while we hung around.  Once returned, we were allowed in.

It was a frustrating wait – about 75 minutes in total.  All the passengers with visas were through immigration long before us.  We got there in the end though.

PS.  We paid the Waldorf-Astoria £150 to pick us up and, as usual in Asia, it was money well spent.  We were met at the airbridge and walked to immigration.  The rep waited for 75 minutes whist we were processed.  When we eventually got to baggage reclaim, our bags had been removed from the belt but he knew where to find them.  Even better, he then took us out of Beijing Airport via the VIP side exit where our car was waiting for us.  The driver contacted the hotel as we approached and a welcome party was waiting at the front door and escorted us directly to our rooms where we were checked in.  All very easy indeed.  Mini review of the hotel to follow in a week or so.

What is the best hotel scheme? - Marriott Rewards - The Opinion
What is the best hotel scheme? - Marriott Rewards - The Facts

Comments

1. Interesting to hear about the extreme wait..and sorry to hear it. I’ve used this route a number of times at Beijing and Shanghai and been waved straight through within minutes..usually with no queue. I haven’t done it for a year or so though. Has this become a much more popular way to get into China?

• pauldb says:

I also had a good experience of this in Chengdu in January. There was no separate line: officer called someone across from another desk and after about 5 minutes everything was checked and the special stamp unboxed. Felt sorry for the locals behind us though – don’t queue up behind the westerners! :)

• James67 says:

Odd indeed, procedure seems to have changed. Biggest issue before was how exactly the 72h was defined and interpreted.

2. My wife and I went to China in 2015 for two weeks. Visiting Beijing, Xi’an and Chengdu
    We applied for our own visas online without using an agency and found the process easy and straight forward. Visas aren’t cheap, but quite straight forward to do.

• Genghis says:

We paid just over £300 for two visas last year and went in person to the Visa centre just off Cheapside. They love bureaucracy!

• Caroline Hooton says:

Ghengis – sorry to barge in but how long did it take then cheapside centre to process the visas? I’m thinking of using them and it says up to 14 days in the reviews I’ve read but would be grateful for your experience

• Genghis says:

Dropped off Wednesday, picked up Monday. V speedy. My tip: they require a copy of your itinerary – flights and hotels – for each person. I rocked up with only one and refused to pay 50p / A4 on their photocopier (mine was a three week itinerary with multiple flights and hotels) so nipped back to the office and still arrived within my half hour slot.

• 1nfrequent says:

Smashing – thank you!

3. Having witnessed similar lengthy queues at Beijing several months ago, I was glad we had obtained visas in advance. 2 year multiple entry for around £200 through an agency, I didn’t think was too bad

• x 4 for a family, plus potential work issues for my wife if something came up urgently, made it unattractive.

4. Waribai says:

Yes, you’re a brave man doing that with kids in tow. For me it would have been ICN without hesitation!

5. Callum says:

Most people here would be anyway, but you must also be on direct flights in and out of China.

• Not necessarily, the 24-hour and 144-hour transit without visa programs allow you to move around (therefore domestic flights but it depends.

If you fly into URC, you are eligible for 24-hour transit without visa but you must leave the Urumqi area within 2 hours of arrival! (What happens if you miss your flight because of a long queue at immigration, I don’t know.)

• callum says:

Where did you hear that? You’re certainly not allowed to move around as you please – the Beijing visa requires you to stay within Beijing. The rest are as restrictive or, at most, let you travel anywhere within the province. It doesn’t seem to make sense that you could connect domestically on such a visa?

If you’re right I’ll be very annoyed though! For my upcoming flight I’m going via Thailand instead of China because of this – it would have been the perfect opportunity to visit China without the visa charge otherwise!

• For the 72-hour TWOV you must stay within about 100 miles of the airport. The 24-hour TWOV lets you take a domestic flight. The 144-hour TWOV allows you to move between Nanjing, Hangzhou and Shanghai.

From Timatic:

Transiting without a visa is possible for:

Holders of confirmed onward air, cruise or train tickets for a max. transit time of 24 hours. Transit incl. multiple stops within China (People’s Rep.), with a total transit time of max. 24 hours, is permitted. They must travel to a third country.

Transit without visa (TWOV) is not possible at Fuzhou (FOC), Mudanjiang (MDG), Shenzhen (SZX) and Yanji (YNJ).

This does not apply at Urumqi (URC).

Holders of confirmed onward airline tickets, in transit through Urumqi (URC), for a max. transit time of 2 hours. Transit incl. multiple stops within China (People’s Rep.), with a total transit time of max. 24 hours, is permitted.

Holders of British passports endorsed “British Citizen” holding confirmed onward airline tickets to a third country, if arriving in and departing from the same city:

at Beijing (PEK), Guilin (KWL), Harbin (HRB), Kunming (KMG), or Shenyang (SHE) for a max. transit time of 72 hours;

Passengers with a British passport with nationality of “British Citizen” shown on the bio-data page holding confirmed onward air, cruise or train tickets to a third country, arriving and departing from any one of the following locations: Hangzhou (HGH), Nanjing Lukou (NKG), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG) for a maximum of 144 hours, starting from 00:01 on the day following the day of entry.

This also applies to passengers traveling from/to Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal and Shanghai Railway Station.

• Note that the 144-hour TWOV is actually “up to 168 hours”, but the 24-hour and 72-hour TWOV are strictly those numbers. (The 72-hour TWOV was previously “up to 96 hours” but this is no longer the case in certain airports though it may be in others. But you can’t really afford to argue with an airline gate agent and/or China immigration official)

• Callum says:

Thanks. So it seems that is not the case for the 72 hour TWOV we’re talking about, nor the 144 hour version then – only the 24 hour TWOV?

Good to know, though less than 24 hours in China including time spent taking a domestic flight doesn’t seem worthwhile so I’m not annoyed I didn’t take it!

• graham says:

We used the transit no visa to fly from Osaka to Shanghai last November, The immigration official was clear we must not leave Shanghai ? Actually the biggest delay for us was in Osaka where the JAL check in rep told us we could not fly because we did not have a visa… took several phone calls to her supervisors before she would let us board.

6. When I did this in November 2015 it was far quicker than waiting in the normal immigration line. They just checked my downward ticket and stamped me in.

The only difficult thing was on the way back there was no special 72 hour visa desk open, but I eventually found out that I could use the diplomatic passport desk for it.

• Lady London says:

I did it soon after the 72 hour visa was extended to Shanghai. The immigration officer I got told me I had no visa. He was not aware of the program. He consulted away somewhere for about 20min then processed me in. Apparently you should not lose the piece of paper they tuck inside your passport as they will look for it on your exit and there will be problems if you’ve lost it.

I should China very wearing even though I was there just two days and that was just Shanghai! I suspect Shanghai is “China-lite” these days though. The real China experience must be much more intense.

• Genghis says:

It is intense. We were there 3 weeks and didn’t really like it overall. We don’t plan on returning.

• Yeah, I only took advantage of the visa both ways to break up my flight to Australia at no extra cost. It’s not a country that I’ll be bothered if I never see again to be honest

7. I think you got unlucky. I did this the same, on my way to Tokyo, but via Shanghai. Very small queue at the 72 hour visa desk but was through within a few minutes.

• Waribai says:

TBH, I had a similar experience to Rob, I was on a 17 hour stop via PVG At immigration, the guy on the desk handed my passport to someone else and asked me to wait. Slightly anxious seeing my passport disappear out of sight but he reappeared after 10 minutes, gave it back to the guy on the desk. It was promptly stamped and I was on my way. I assumed he was checking my hotel booking was kosher. I don’t think that is the same for everyone on 24 hour stopovers. So, I guess it is luck of the draw.

8. We had 12 hrs stopover at Beijing last year and it took 2,5 hrs to get through free trasit visa desk despite having only 20 people in front of us….connecting at Beijing airport on the was back was even worse – queue for connection flights desk was a couple 100s meters long basically blocking the whole arrival terminal building, but airport staff didn’t care at all…not talking about official airport taxi rip off…never again

• Alex W says:

I got ripped off there too. Put my credit card in a phone box for about 2 minutes and the bill was about 50 quid!

• Genghis says:

I nearly got ripped off in Shanghai after taking a taxi from the Maglev station to the WA. The guy wanted £50 for the 11km journey per his dodgy meter and he refused to drive into the hotel grounds. I threatened to call the police. He started crying. We settled on a fiver (which we later found out was cheaper than it should have been).

• James67 says:

You hear so many dodgy taxi stories from Asia but tbh I’ve had more problems in Europe. In Asia I always use the taxis but before Uber I was inclined to pass on them nearer home wherever possible.

9. I’m actually very concerned when hotels are allowed to do that… airside passes being given to people who don’t really need them, collecting your luggage for you, and taking a ‘shortcut’ at/near customs all sound like weak links in security… I don’t despute that it’s a good service, just prefer it to meet you as you emerge into a public area under your own steam.

• callum says:

Given those airport staff can buy tickets and go airside if they wanted to do something nefarious, how is it a lapse in security? (Unless you’re saying they don’t go through the same security?)

The shortcut also does nothing to impact security. Worst case scenario (which I doubt is happening), you bypass customs and bring in something you shouldn’t.

• I think this guy actually worked for the CIP team at the airport. He wasn’t our driver.

10. pointsarb says:

Morning all, can anybody confirm whether or not any kind of visa is required for Hong Kong? We are hoping to transit same day of arrival to Thailand this Xmas however avios availability from HKG-Thailand may require us to stay over 1-2 nights in HK upon arrival so wondered if we will need any kind of visa for this if it happens? Thanks!

• Nope, for UK passport holders no via for HK itself. You can’t leave HK and Macau for mainland China though.

• James67 says:

Recommend saving your avios and jump on Air Asia flight. It’s barely 2h, usually dirt cheap and you’ll be out DMK and well into town before you even clear immigration at BOK at busy times. HK always worth stopping over though :)

• pointsarb says:

Hi James,

Yep looked at Air Asia but figured I’m better off just paying £35-£50 pp and some Avios to fly to Thailand on CX. Of course availability has to be there though so can’t rule out the low cost operators….

Cheers

• James67 says:

I don’t know how much time you have before your trip and if Emirates are still flying their a380 5th freedom flights on the route. If so, and you havd time to put in place, it is a good use of the £150 Emirates voucher with tbe credit card. Sri Lankan and Ethiopian also operated 5th freedom and probably still do, seats in both economy and business were great value. You can also redeem avios on Sri Lankan if seats available, their long haul a330 trumps CX regional busibess class although you can get lucky with longhaul CX metal too. There ard also direct avios flights to Phuket and Chiang Mai from HKG too with Cathay Dragon if either of those are of interest. Enjoy your trip.

11. Used the transit visa in Shanghai last year before proceeding to Seoul. It’s well worth checking the max time allowed in the city you plan to visit – we planned a stop of 72 hours exactly but upon arrival we found we were allowed to stay up to 7 days. We might have taken advantage had we known about it earlier, particularly because in the Shanghai region you can also visit Hangzhou and Fuzhou, which we missed out on.

• graham says:

Interesting we were told we could not leave Shanghai but agree it was frustrating not seeing the water towns I heard it was well worth it from people we met. At least you may have been able to see more than 200 yards though the smog.

• callum says:

You can visit Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang – quite an extensive area.

I could see the benefit of this system when it was just one or two cities for a day or two, but now there seems to be a dozen that goes up to a week I really don’t see why they can’t just make a simple national version! Does anyone know if there’s a specific reason why they won’t, or is it just bureaucracy?

• Bemused says:

Of course you can visit those areas on a free transit VISA.
        Indeed, how would anyone know if you had, even if it was supposedly not allowed?

• You can’t just move around in China, the hotel will register you with the local gong’anbu

• Bemused says:

Do you think the hotel staff follow you around in case you decide to go on a day trip to the water towns?

#nonsense

• Callum says:

It’s also pretty easy to steal stuff at self scan checkouts – doesn’t mean you should do it and that there are no potential consequences…

You can be stopped by the police and made to show your passport at any time. Is it likely you’ll be stopped? No. Does it happen? Yes. Luckily in the cases I’ve seen the police were just as confused about the programme as some immigration officers are so just let them go. If you want to run the tiny risk of being detained as an illegal alien in a country like China then go ahead.

• Alex W says:

I would recommend visiting Suzhou and Tong Li, assuming they are within the requirements of your Shanghai transit visa.

Hangzhou I wouldn’t bother with. Just a very touristy lake.

• I think you mean Suzhou. Fuzhou is quite far away. Near to Suzhou is Huzhou, which should be allowed too.

12. To add to the experiences below, I did this in November at Chengdu (before BA pulled the CTU route), I had about a 5-10 minute wait whilst the immigration officer went to fetch someone else and he didn’t seem to know exactly what to do, but after that they took my passport for a few minutes and then I was straight through, no more than 15 minutes I’d say. I imagine doing this at PEK takes longer just because of the general size/ set-up there, but sounds like you got slightly unlucky, Rob!

13. Done this a few times now at both Beijing and Shanghai and usually only takes 5 mins at most (2 of us). Think this was just unlucky this time Rob.

14. OT: Has anyone who has upgraded their UK Amex to platinum /9with the link that’s circulating) had a counter on the right-hand side when the login counting down their £1000 spend to the 20000 bonus? This usually happens, but I can’t see one with mine…

• Genghis says:

if its same as a couple of years ago, there is no counter for the upgrade offer.

• James67 says:

Did this last year. Counter didn’t show for me. A quick call to CS was reassuring and bonus points still posted despite the missing counter. Can you please report back when the fee hits your account, I’m trying to determine if it is soon after upgrade now or still anniversary of the gold card that was upgraded. Thanks.

• What would the link be that is circulating?

• the real harry1 says:
        • Thanks TRH might give that a tickle, once upgraded to Plat its still only 9k referral bonus if you refer a partner/friend for a Gold?

• Yes, 9 for gold, 18 for plat, unfortunately. Shame really, you would think they could reward the plat holder a bit more for referring, but l guess the PRG is the lowly card. Love your pics.
            How’s the appeal v BA going?

• Thanks Polly.

The claim is with CEDR who’ve verified its a valid claim and passed it to BA. I’m expecting that BA will settle after the maximum time its allowed, so a couple of weeks, they may want to make the process unnecessarily long and tedious to deter any other similar valid claims.

If it doesn’t go as far as small claims or MCOL, I may scribe a step by step “how to lodge a claim for a companion voucher downgrade” article for Rob to file away. Its quite amusing & pathethic the number of times BA keep pushing out the same insulting template responses claiming the £200 compensation is the maximum amount, they xan pay. Eventually after sterner tone from myself, they buckled and finally confirmed a deadlock position so I could use this and refer to CEDR after 6 weeks rather than having to wait 8 weeks before submitting to CEDR.

Worth remembering the CAA say airlines should pay claims for a downgrade under EU261/2004 in full within SEVEN days!

#VeryShoddyBA

• the real harry1 says:

+ yes please for the CEDR etc article, might save me bit of time research for my F&B claim later on

• thehornets says:

Is this a targeted link or usable by anybody?

• Genghis says:

TBC. No one has confirmed receiving the points but my guess is it’s open given the very simple web address.

15. Siegfried says:

It wasn’t clear from the online information, but you cannot transfer in China before your visa city.
    I was surprised to find that my flight to Shanghai stopped in Guangzhou so I wouldn’t be given a visa.. which meant a hasty flight booking to another country.
    Don’t make my mistake people!

• You (at this time) can if your total time in China is under 24 hours, depending on your citizenship.

16. We did the same China/Japan/China trip over the last two weeks.

I have had the same experience as you at both Terminal 2 (where there is no special line, but does have signs on the floor telling you where to go and Terminal 3 with the special desk in the last couple of weeks. Both times had a long wait where passports and e-ticket taken off by someone and return after a while. Fill in the extra forms and eventually made it through. Both times we were the last people left in immigration and bags taken off the carousel. Probably about 90 minutes to get through each time with the queue and extra’s checks. Terminal 2 really didn’t seem to know what to do and they are so slow in doing the process. No rushing are just chatting sometimes and disappear for ages.

What I don’t understand is most people in the 72 hour queue (mainly American’s seem to get straight through without the extra’s checks), whilst a few people get the extra checks mostly British (and we had it twice).

The second time meant the underground was closed (it closes really early at 10:30), after getting the airport express, and had to get a taxi. I think I got away lightly at 100 RMB with some help from the hotel…. (after he started at 240 and I got him down to 180, found out it should have been about 30).

Also very nearly got bumped off the Hainan airlines flight this morning due to cancelled flights the day before, if we didn’t make the flight the next Hainan flight would have taken us over 72 hours so don’t know what would happen then! Very happy to be home now. Beijing is a on odd place, no traffic rules have to look everywhere to not get run over as nobody takes any notice of traffic rules. Taxi drivers are crazy. So many people looking to rip of tourists from rickshaws, taxi, random people coming up to on the streets etc. Beijing was worth if for the Forbidden city, Tianamen square, Olympic park and the Great wall. However is generally cheap (apart from branded western goods like Lego/Electronics etc. Attractions and tube are really cheap. I don’t feel the need to go back.

The Renaissance Wangfujing however was amazing, upgraded to Club Level Forbidden city view room with lounge access. With two double beds so was big enough for family of 4, allowed free access to lounge for children of 13 and 10. Early check in at 9am (so made breakfast) and late checkout at 4pm (getting afternoon tea). Full breakfast in the morning and full dinner and drinks in the evening. Great location to walk to the sites and amazing spa and biggest indoor hotel pool I have seen. All for only 15K Marriott points and my Gold status from SPG match (from Amex Plat card). Now increased to 20K since I booked.

• Good reports all, makes us not really want to visit China. Even tho there is always availability for F 241 to/from Shanghai and Beijing . Would love to see Great Wall etc but it can wait. Think will stick to se Asia, Bali etc.. Watching current events closely…great trip tho for the kids Rob…

• James67 says:

The biggest problem I find Polly is that most of the tours including those organised by independent guides are a rip off. Not only that, we have found it difficult to get guides in China to listen to and respect our wishes. For example, we like to experience local transport systens and walk a lot. Never been a problem to arrange anyplace else except China, they seem incapable of listening or more likely just don’t want to do so because in my exoerience they want to control everything and squeeze every last dollar out of their customers. We were planning quite a comprehensive and potentially very exciting tour but in the end abandoned it because just trying to arrange it became so frustrating and stressful. I have a passion for independent travel but I believe a package tour organised by an external agency outside might be the best option for China.

• All the stuff around Beijing city is very easy to do by yourself. The underground is very good and very cheap (2 RMB – 20p single). The main sites are walkable in the centre of Beijing. Also it seemed safe walking around, we walked around a lot in the day and evening and there are mainly tourists mostly American, and other European’s etc walking around. Not that many Brits. The hassling is easy to ignore and a polite no and they don’t persist too much.

The tricky one is getting to the Great wall. It can be done by bus cheaply and fairly easily. It we went without children I would have done it. However we arranged a taxi through the hotel in the end for about £70 as was cheaper than the tours for 4. So we knew we would get a reliable driver. We did have him for around 8 hours due to awful traffic as it was a Chinese holiday. However he drove like a mentalist before of the traffic. Right up the back up of other cars, using the hard shoulder to undertake on the motorways and the middle seatbelt didn’t work where my daughter was sitting in…. I think it would have made a good F1 driver with his fast reactions.

Also a lot of the cheaper tours end up in Jade factories/tombs etc trying to sell you stuff and waste Great wall time.

• Also you can get the train to Badaling Great but it busiest section with tours and would need to be there early out of session to make the most of it.

• James67 says:

Thanks JP, our issues were not in Beijing.but rather in trying to organise a tour including X’ian, Shaolin and Guilin amongst others. On reflection I might have been a little unfair to the guides, perhaps everything is just so tightly regulated there that it is difficult for them to acommodate requests to highly personalise itineraries. In some ways it reminded me of my visits to Russia and Estonua in the last days of the USSR except that there everything cost peanuts whilst your average Chinese tours guide’s embrace of capitalism is enough to make the Wall Street Bull blush.

• Thanks James, and all, great to read different experiences here. Boy, is this blog a mine of information. So many China experts on here! But yes, like you we are also independent travellers,,but good thinking. A tour from outside China might be the way to go. At least to the wall. The city sounds ok we can walk around etc. It’s a big trip to plan, so a while away yet. That and AKL. Have to get HNL out of the way first, and get rid of our AA miles.

• James67 says:

Polly, Genghis introduced me to Intrepid tour company. It looks very good and might appeal to you too. You can get x3 clubcard return on them too. Enjoy Hawaii

• Genghis says:

For the Great Wall, we went to Jinshaling as part of a sun set tour. Great location and perhaps our best memory of China but if I were to do it again I’d take a private car.

• Genghis says:

And there weren’t that many people there

• Ghenghis/James, did you use Intrepid in country once you had booked independently. We would be using our 241 in F as there always appear to be seats. But am sure we can book that particular tour from the uk before we leave…. I actually get emails from intrepid, love their stuff.

• Genghis says:

@Polly. I’ve not used Intrepid yet. Booked them for Feb 18 (from UK) for a Kruger tour in RSA paid using Tesco cc vouchers. I booked other travel independently. Seemless so far. I’d have loved to have spent a couple of days at Sanbona / Shamwari but couldn’t justify the £1k / night.

17. Flyoff says:

We got through Beijing very quickly with the visa on arrival. We had flown into Hong Kong and out if Beijing and paid very little for a single fare to go between the airports via the Philippines we had a beach holiday. There were no signs for visa on arrival and we were advised to go to the passenger assistance exit area.

• I think it you are under 24 hours in Beijing or have a proper visa is it easier. It also looked like it was easier for people who have the tickets for the next flight issues on the proper card ticket (like a one ticketed flight with the same carrier with a long layover, and not two different airlines like I and Rob did. As I only has a print out and wasn’t checked in yet (as JAL you can only do it 24 hours later), and for Hainan they said my ticket was the wrong status (but I think that might have been Hainan’s fault, as it was free ticket I got from them).

I think they when off to an office to either call the airline staff to check or look it up on the computer. The was no real problem if was just very slow and will not tell you what they are doing so are just left hanging around for quite a while, then you get a extra 72 form to fill in which is not given out by the airlines or near the desks. You have to wait until they have worked out you are ok to go through. Being China you start to think the worst when left at immigration for a long time!

18. We did the same Japan via China route last September though we paid for visas as we wanted a little more time to explore Beijing and China.
    Completely agree with transfers being worth the cost – we were met straight off the plane/train for our transfers in Beijing/Shanghai respectively and it makes such a difference in an unfamiliar country.The WA in Shanghai event went as far as putting an ipad in the car and face-timed us from our soon-to-be room to show us around!
    We also got checked in at 9am – well before the stated time. Not sure how much of that was due to diamond status or due to booking the transfer.

19. bob butts says:

It’s easier these days as the Chinese give out 2 year multiple visas to UK passport holders, rather than the standard 30 day version they they used to.l

• Genghis says:

True. But prices have shot up to compensate. When I first looked into going to China, perhaps 10 years ago when I was in Japan, I’m sure a visa cost c.£30

• Callum says:

I’m fairly certain you can go to the consulate in Hong Kong and get a single entry visa for around £35. I’ve not tried it (planning to this year though) but numerous blog posts describe it as being possible. Not much use if you don’t want to go via Hong Kong though obviously!

20. Jon Arnold says:

I stopped off in Shanghai last November and stayed 4 nights using their 144 hour transit visa. All pretty straightforward. There’s a separate booth for transit visas on arrival at Pudong and there was no queue when I got there (mid afternoon), and though it took about 5 mins for them to check my passport and flights only one person was behind me when I was done. Considering the cost of a Chinese visa for Brits these days (and the faff of applying) this is a great option. In fact I deliberately added on a flight to Seoul just to take advantage of this transit visa!