Bits: 25% off a Priority Pass, Avios-earning Finnair sale

News in brief:

25% off a Priority Pass airport lounge card

To celebrate its 25% anniversary, Priority Pass is offering 25% off its airport lounge access cards for a limited period.

If both you and your partner travel heavily, you’d get a better overall deal by paying £450 for American Express Platinum which comes with two Priority Pass cards, each of which gives you a free guest as well.  This means a family of four can get into a lounge.

For more occasional travellers, buying a pass outright may make sense.  There are various combinations of upfront fee vs on-going cost per visit, although oddly you cannot buy a card which does what the Amex Plat card does, ie unlimited access for you and a guest.

Priority Pass cards start at £51 in the sale, although most people would find the ‘£127 with 10 free visits’ version better value.  Details of the various options are here.

Finnair A350 350

Good Asia sale on Finnair

Finnair has launched its Summer sale.

There are special Business Class fares to Asia from the UK via Helsinki, valid until 20th June 2017 for travel between 1st September 2017 and 31st March 2018 (dates vary by route).

What makes this sale attractive is that:

you can start from London, Manchester and Edinburgh

Finnair flights earn Avios and British Airways tier points

Finnair is flying brand a new A350 aircraft on many routes with excellent business class seats

Compared to the Club World seat the 1-2-1 configuration is a major improvement. You can read Rob’s review of the new Finnair A350 business class seat here.

During the sale a return flight to Shanghai in Business Class starts at £1,428 (not bad for a flight starting in London) and return flights to Tokyo start at £2,505 (a bit toppy).

Click here to see the prices out of London, Edinburgh and Manchester in both business and economy class.

My review of the Escape Lounge at Stansted Airport
How to earn 10,000 Avios with your next five Hilton stays

Comments

1. Dave H says:

Free stopover (up to 5 days) each way available in Helsinki as well

• … which on outbound also cuts the APD from £150 to £26 minus cost of hotel (but in summer you don’t need to sleep since it doesn’t get dark :) )

2. Hi, do you know if the discount works in combo with groupon discount code?

• Genghis says:

FYI TRH1, that trick didn’t work for me on hotels.com but will be sure to keep trying it on other purchases going forward. Cheers

• flyforfun says:

It worked with me when PP had one of it’s regular 25% off promotions. Reduced the price of a visit to around £11

3. Genghis says:

OT. 5k IHGs have posted for renewing AMB as part of Accelerate Summer. But I’ve not yet renewed AMB, which is due end of Aug. Anyone else have a similar experience? What might have happened?

• SteveB says:

Not seen this on mine. That said, my Accelerate dashboard is showing that I have recently made a redemption which triggered one of my targets, but oddly I haven’t (my last redemption was in March for an IC stay this December). As usual I think there are some bugs in their system.

• i got the 5K, posted on 26 May, but i did renew AMB a few weeks ago. I like having AMB, seems to be cost neutral….

• Genghis says:

I agree. I was going to renew anyway. Thinking of using the voucher in Porto in Spring next year, but now waiting for EZY flights to become available.

• RussellH says:

IC in Porto highly recommended. Porto itself also highly recommended.

• Kinkell says:

I renewed my AMB just a couple of weeks before the accelerate targets were announced. One of my targets is to ‘renew my AMB status ‘. so I won’t be able to achieve the target, or bonus for completing 4 out 5 targets. Anyone else caught like this? Do you think IhG would look favourably ? Think I might contact them and see.
      BTW just had very nice stay at IC Mark Hopkins in San Francisco. As ambassador, got all the benefits, so a very nice end to our fantastic American road trip

• Alex W says:

I think others have contacted IHG saying they’ve already renewed and they have credited the points.

• Alex W says:

4. Graeme says:

O/T first batch of IHG accelerate points have hit my account today. Just to note that the accelerate dashboard is not giving a true reflection of progress i.e. Points for one target have posted to my account but not showing as achieved or in the x of x points earned. Sure this happened last time too.

• Yes, I have targets I know I’ve completed, but not showing up on dashboard, whilst others have.. will wait until end June then maybe try to get it fixed..

5. Excellent pricing to ICN

• When? Can’t find anything under £1700. Got ICN for £1200 last year.

• Just looked at the headline price, which is cheap compared to ex EU prices I’ve seen of late

• Was recently at ICN and noticed Finnair flight was an A330 – don’t know if there is any/much difference between their A350 and A330 J seat?

6. PalCsaky says:

Marriott priority pass offer is better as it’s for 15 month membership.

7. Yes, after a new TV this weekend so triple avios will be nice

8. O/T: looks like BA’s FLY system has folded, loops on a Bank Holiday wknd too.

All flights cancelled til 6pm today

EU261/2004 lawyers will be rubbing their hands…

• Yeah, i thought i would i would come on HfP to find out what the issue is rather than try the BBC or BA!

• Peter K says:

Various news sources say it has been hacked/cyber attack or that lightning caused it.
        No officially word yet however and it seems that is going to be the biggest download downfall for BA. People can put up with somewhere being hacked as no-where seems safe, but they get really angry when they are told nothing!

• Lady London says:

I’d say it’s probably BA’s own IT failure. Based on my experience with their website. Must be very tempting for BA to explain it as ‘Act of God’ or a cyberattack though.

• Expect it will run into the millions.. Even more if BA informed pax of their rights to claim under EU261/2004

I bet they will be tempted to let that one sit for months before a dedicated pax goes all the way to ensure its tested in court…

• These people clearly dont know how many times FLY has fallen over since launch, just never this bad.

• This does seem to have been a particularly impressive systems failure – surprised they didn’t have better redundancies in place.

At least the upside to working this weekend is not trying to fly anywhere!

• As Alan mentions, surprising they don’t have an emergency backup procedure that could be used. Cant even work for some clients these days without proof of an emergency backup procedure.

• I suspect it may be more a case of what BA is willing to pay. Interesting post on FT that says “I spoke to an IT engineer at FLY last time the system went down and he said BA just won’t pay for more data storage/processing and everything is running to max capacity already..so I’m not surprised.”

• It’s like how the government didn’t want to update NHS computers from windows XP even when Microsoft said they were withdrawing support.

It’s only until there’s a major meltdown will they learn their lesson.

• And it seems like they are making people stuck on the tarmac pay for refreshments. Wow great service BA…. that’s one way to improve the BoB statistics 😉

• the real harry1 says:

it’s completely pathetic, hard luck to the people hurt

BA IT is rubbish

better be sorted by Tuesday (wife)

9. OT
    On Thursday (with any luck) we shall be making our first BA F flight out of Heathrow (to Seattle) timed at 0920.
    Am I correct in assuming that we should have breakfast in the Concorde Lounge?
    Also the menu for lunch contains phrases like ‘pan-fried’; are the dishes actually cooked on the plane or just re-heated please?

10. the real harry1 says:

well seeing as Genghis got named & shamed today (cheap), I thought might as well join the ‘outed’ gang

yep big fat puff

well, not really – 3 kids – tbh couldn’t really give a damn so live & let live lol

but in my mission to not pay trough the nose for a wee snifter…

LHR T3 = disaster zone on Friday -no pub (closed for refurbishment) & I’m not paying for lounge x2 when I’ve not go enough time to swing a cat

restaurant bars all packed & queues

what would you do?

• TGLoyalty says:

Go straight to gate and pay Starbucks £5?

What I did on Thursday. Delay coming in and I’m at the damned 5c with no £15 Starbucks credit anymore?

• Yeah I think that went a year or so ago? Shame, used it a couple of times.

• the real harry1 says:

nope I got 2 pints of Guinness in the T3 pub @ Easter – £4.90 each, which was reasonable

• the real harry1 says:

going back to my original question: clue – bear in mind I take out a bit of frozen meat – this time a very nice joint of beef plus some lamb

(bet that’ll become impossible after Brexit!)

• How does that relate to the £15 Starbucks credit?

• Ah, you were replying to TGloyalty!

11. Waribai says:

Just seen Alex Cruz apologising for the IT outage. Fair enough but what’s with the Hi Viz vest? Bizzare :)

12. OT

Etihad claims much but as a fairly regular user of their business class product on LHR-BKK via AUH I personally think the latest changes are quite noticeable.

I have always thought they had too few staff on the A380 when business class is full. Flying yesterday confirmed that. Delivery was slow, requests were ignored or to ages to reply and staff few in numbers.

Of the product side, the wine list is downgraded with weaker items on all categories including some obscure Scottish gin. Food was pretty bad really with very overcooked beef. The long time to arrival though made me hesitate to send it back for replacement. The cheese plate is now down to 2 cheeses and 4 grapes plus some quince.

When the mileage for these flights comes in it will be enough for a reward ticket and that might be the end of Etihad for us.