Get 1,000 free Avios for joining Marriott Rewards – no stay needed!

(EDIT:  Marriott has now withdrawn this offer due to an overwhelming response)

Marriott Rewards, the loyalty scheme for Marriott, Renaissance, The Ritz-Carlton, Autograph and many other hotel brands, has launched a very attractive sign-up bonus.  To put it mildly.

Marriott will give you 1,000 Avios points, for free, purely for signing up to Marriott Rewards.  No stay is required.

This isn’t just for British Airways Executive Members.  You can also earn 1,000 miles in:

• Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Air Canada Aeroplan
  • Avianca-TACA LifeMiles
  • Etihad Guest
  • Lufthansa Miles & More
  • Qatar Privilege Club

The offer runs until 2nd September.  The page to join is here.

marriott rewards 1000 free Avios

There is also a second part to the deal.  If you choose to credit your Marriott stays to Avios, or any of the other airline programmes listed, you will earn double miles on all stays until 2nd September.

You can see the earning rates for crediting Marriott stays to Avios on this page of ba.com.

At most brands you earn 2 Avios per $1 spent, so that would double to 4 Avios per $1 under this promotion.

The snag …..

…. of course, is that the majority of Head for Points readers will already be members of Marriott Rewards.  However, there may be members of your household account, or other family members whose accounts you look after, who are not.  This is an excellent opportunity to ensure that they sign up.

You need to sign-up via this special page of the Marriott website.

PS.  Do not necessarily sign-up for Avios if you have miles in some of the other programmes included.  In some cases, this offer may help reset an upcoming expiry date for miles you have elsewhere.  It is also harder to earn, say, Air Canada miles than Avios if you live in the UK so that may be a better choice if you accounts with both.

When your IHG Rewards Club points expire, and how to stop it
Bits: earn Avios with new Deliveroo offer, more BA cabin crew strikes

Comments

1. transferer says:

Am positive this has been asked numerous times, but is there a definitive answer; how long does a transfer from Amex MR’s to BA Exec Club (Avios) take?

• If you’ve done one before (or you have linked the accounts already) then overnight. If it is your first one or the accounts are not linked it might take another day as Amex only makes the transfer once it has confirmation from BA that the BA account number is yours.

• transferer says:

Hi, my own account was already linked. I requested the transfer yesterday (Sunday) morning. Maybe nothing occurs at the weekend. I can imagine some back office team still working (Mon-Fri) manually from a spreadsheet.

• transferer says:

Update (for anyone interested). As anticipated, the transfer (between previously linked accounts) took from Sunday morning til Tuesday morning.

• Genghis says:

Just got an email from Iberia. They’re doing the same Deliveroo deal as BA.

2. OT – got a dispatch email for my first HP ink order, so hopefully Tesco are honouring the orders placed before they realised their mistake!

• the real harry1 says:

Tesco will probably just charge the promotional costs to HP anyway, regardless of possibly making a mistake

so they won’t be that bothered about cancelling existing orders IMV

that’s completely different to some people reporting that points haven’t posted but they’re getting the delivery

this is a different long-standing problem – then you’ll have the devil’s own job persuading Tesco to add on your points later, regardless of any screenshots you might have

they’ll say you’re getting them at the end of the quarter etc (a convenient ‘go away’ lie) – or else start to argue fair usage or simply a mistake they won’t be honouring

the reality is: the bonus points should post automatically within a couple of days max; if they don’t: you’ve got problems

• Iv got mine as well

3. O/T I booked a one way economy flight from London to Melbourne with emirates and upgraded to business with my skywards miles. I’ve reviewed the ticket but I still only have 30kg luggage allowance. Whereas for business class it should be 40kg. I’ve managed to get the complimentary chauffeur, so I thought I’d get the extra 10kg which I actually need! Am I entitled to this or not?

• Is Emirates really only 40k ?

Etihad is 2 x 32kg, BA is the same (was 3 x 32kg).

Do they only allow you one bag as well ?

• According to the website you can carry under 10 checked in bags. For business it still just says 40kg, so I’m guessing any amount of bags you check in must total 40kg. Hearing the amount that Etihad and BA allow is quite upsetting! Lol

4. Do I need to activate account or just to join and get a number is enough? Looks like enough, since once they give you a number it’s written: You’ve earned 1000 miles. Then who knows…

5. Hi, i have clicked on the link above, but it is sending me to a blank page? I have tried using IE and Chrome browsers and none of them work, can anyone help please?

6. grex9101 says:

Can you do this if you only have an avios account or do you need a BAEC account?

7. Is this still working? It used to stay on http://www.marriottrewards.com for the registration, now it diverts http://www.marriott.com and mentions nothing about the 1000 Avios anymore.

8. I registered and received an account number but no link to receive the avios. I’m chatting to Marriott rewards now and they said it is not a current promotion?

9. I tried the link but no mention of the promotion at all, just a standard sign up page?

10. Pierre says:

Has this promo been removed?

11. Chrismors says:

Promo not working for me either 🙁

12. Darren Ward says:

I also just signed up for an account but have seen no prompt or information on the sign-up page about Avios. Bit annoying as I wouldn’t have bothered setting up this account otherwise.

13. Terence Baynard says:

Does anyone know when the points will credit ?