A change in how ‘Combine My Avios’ works, and a reminder of its quirks

Whilst you can earn Avios in avios.com, Iberia Plus and British Airways Executive Club, the system is designed so that you can move points from one to the other using ‘Combine My Avios’.

In theory it is foolproof:

There is no limit to how many points you can move

The points move instantly

It seems that the system was, perhaps, a little too foolproof.

The ‘Combine My Avios’ page on ba.com is here.

How to use Combine My Avios

New security measures

As I found yesterday, when I tried to move some Avios from my wife’s avios.com account to her British Airways account, security has been improved.

Historically you could move points between avios.com and British Airways as long as there was a general match between some account information.  Name and date of birth might be enough, potentially email too.

What you didn’t need was a matching address.  Now you do.

It turns out that, when we moved two years, I never updated the address on her avios.com account.  As they never post anything, it wasn’t a problem.

I have been able to move Avios across over the last two years, until yesterday when I got a vague error message about a data mis-match.  As soon as I updated the postal address on her account, ‘Combine My Avios’ worked again.

Combine My Avios explained

This could cause a problem

You must have a UK postal address to join avios.com.

A British Airways Executive Club account can be set to any address globally.

Going forward, it seems that you will need to have a UK address on your British Airways Executive Club account if you want to use ‘Combine My Avios’ from avios.com.

This will cause problems for some people, although those people – if we’re honest – are mainly people who really do not live in the UK and were using avios.com under false pretences in order to take part in certain promotions.

This may actually be the ‘fraud’ that Avios was referring to when it explained why it had changed the ‘Combine My Avios’ system, rather than any sort of hack attack.

Combine My Avios

PS.  As a reminder, because newcomers may not know this, here is a summary of how ‘Combine My Avios’ works with Household Accounts.

This is the issue which tends to confuse people. Here are the T&C’s:

“Members of a Household Account under the Programmes may not use CMA other than (a) from a British Airways Executive Club Household Account to an individual account under the Avios Programme or the Iberia Plus Programme and (b) from the individual account under the Avios Programme to a Household Account under the British Airways Executive Programme. Any other Household account transaction will not be permitted under CMA.”

What this means in English is:

A member of a BA household account CAN move Avios to or from their Iberia or avios.com account (as long as the avios.com account is not a household one)

A member of an avios.com household account CANNOT move Avios to or from BA or Iberia

Note that you cannot move from Iberia to a BA household account. This is easily circumvented, though, by moving your Avios from Iberia to avios.com and then from avios.com to BA.

Combine My Avios from Iberia

PPS.  As a further reminder, you will often encounter an error if you try to move Avios from Iberia Plus to British Airways.

The first thing to remember is that an Iberia Plus account must be 90 days old and must have earned 1 Avios before you can use ‘Combine My Avios’.  The easiest way to do this is to transfer some American Express Membership Rewards points into Iberia Plus, or a credit a BA flight, hotel or car hire.

It still may not work.  This is a long-standing IT issue.  In this case, use avios.com as a conduit.  Using the avios.com website, transfer points from Iberia Plus to avios.com and then do a second transaction to move them avios.com to British Airways Executive Club.  This usually works OK.

Which BA European routes do not offer lounge access?
ENDS TONIGHT: Win £600+ of suitcases with HFP and new Avios partner Rolling Luggage

Comments

1. Avios transfer seems to be the case, I can’t do a transfer since I have two accounts BAEC to my Austrian address and Avios to my UK one.
    Presumably no one at BA thought that many people have more than one house! Causing problems for the sake of it.

2. I’ve been wondering for a while now what happens to the respective expiry dates of Avios in different accounts when they are combined. Never been able to find that info anywhere.
    Do the transferred Avios acquire the same expiry date after the transfer as those already in the target account? Does it depend on whether the old expiry date of the transferred Avios falls before or after the expiry date that applies to the target account?
    I know that transferring-in Avios does not count as a transaction that resets the expiry date in the target account, that’s not what I’m asking – it’s about what happens to the expiry dates of the Avios from the source account(s).
    Thanks!

• For BA HHA
      “18.1.17. The Avios points balance of individual Household Account Members shall expire in accordance with Clause 14.4 if the individual Household Account Member has not earned or redeemed Avios points or purchased or transferred Avios points in accordance with the Conditions of Use for 36 consecutive months. Notwithstanding Clause 3.12.1, in such circumstances, the membership of the individual Household Account Member and the Household Account shall continue in effect.

18.1.18. Notwithstanding Clause 18.1.16, in the event a Household Account has a Gold, Silver or Bronze Tier Member who has earned or redeemed Avios points within the last 36 consecutive months then the Avios points balance of the other Household Account Members shall not be subject to expiry in accordance with Clause 14.4. In the event a Household Account ceases to have as a Household Account Member any such Gold, Silver or Bronze Tier Member then the provisions of Clause 18.1.16 shall apply.”

• For avios.com HHA as it’s a separate entity, “B.6.1.1. in the event of the expiry of all Points in accordance with Section C.5.1 when a Member has not earned or redeemed or bought for 36 consecutive months”

• Thanks, but if this was a reply to my comment I think there may have been a misunderstanding. My question had was not about Household Accounts but about the transfer of Avios between an individual’s accounts with BAEC, Avios.com and Iberia Plus.
          If, let’s say, my Iberia Avios expire in two year’s time and those in my BAEC in one year (or vice versa), what happens to the expiry dates of the Iberia Avios after transfer to the BAEC account? Will they now expire at the same time as those that were already in the BAEC account?

• Your Avios will never expire, realistically. ANY activity, earn or burn, resets the 3 years. The idea that you would not earn or spend a single point over 3 years is silly.

• the real harry1 says:

think of the a/c expiring, not the points?

not exactly right, as the points in the a/c at the point the expiry kicks in will disappear, but the a/c should stay active & ready/ open to receive new points earned

but all the points in the a/c at that point expire, through a/c inactivity – even if you only had 1 point in the inactive a/c for the last 3 years & transferred in a million points the day before expiry

• the real harry1 says:

that’s my guess, anyway! 🙂

• the real harry1 says:

well – to Raffles – it can happen

we went NZ & back 3 times in the early noughties, 4 then 5 of us – I remember the BP strips sitting on top of the fridge for a few years, I never did much about them!

saved my 100K company Amex, in Virgin quite by chance!

lost a decent Tesco stash when I went to work abroad in 1997 & forgot about them

failed to collect points on numerous company-paid mostly BA flights early days though I did make Silver for a few years thanks to secretary (or should I call her sexcretary supergirl?, she was an Olympian swimmer well fit!)

so a lot of us might fall through the 3 yr expiry net being my point

• neuromancer says:

Expiry date for each account stays the same. They don’t change the expiry date after you move the points. If your BAEC account has 10000 Avios with expiry date 1.1.2020, if you do CMA and transfer another 10000 to it, all the 20000 will have the same expiry date of 1.1.2020, regardless of the expiry date of the origin of the new 10000.

3. I think that there may be legitimate avios.com users outside the UK, as for example when I created an account with Aer Lingus it provided me with an avios.com profile. I wonder how this will affect Aer Lingus point accounts?

• neuromancer says:

The case with Aer Lingus is interesting, it seems the Aer Club account is not exactly avios.com…
      I have an Aer Club account, went there and changed my address to outside of the UK. The address on my avios.com account did not change, however…
      I wonder if I can create a new Aer Club account with an address outside the UK and if it will be in avios.com

So for now I cannot do Combine my Avios with an address outside the UK.

4. OT:

I have an Avios RFS booking I don’t need anymore (positioning flights for a now non-existent AirBerlin Longhaul Business class redemption to the Caribbean for my Mother’s 70th Birthday).

The AirBerlin flights were booked using TopBonus (AirBerlin) points so I lose out big time 🙁 About £4k of flights and no refunds / compensation 🙁

I therefore have some BA RFS Avios bookings LHR-DUS-LHR which I no longer need.
    I’d prefer to cancel for all money & Avios back (unlikely I know).
    I’d settle for some money & all Avios back ??
    If I can’t do either of those and I’m going to lose the Avios I’d like to either reschedule them both (or at least one way) and still visit Dusseldorf (perhaps for a Christmas market?) OR change both the destination & dates.

What have people found have been their options in this situation ?
    Might BA be a little more flexible with options given the circumstances for the change (a OneWorld Partner leaving me in the lurch !).

• Avios bookings are refundable – you get the points back and the cash, too, apart from a 17.50 fee or something like that. For a RFS, that probably means you won’t get any money back. But you will definitely get all the Avios back.

• You will get all of the Avios back, but not the RFS taxes as they offset the £35 per person cancellation fee. This is standard BA policy. The AirBerlin angle has nothing to do with it, since BA has no proof you were connecting to AB – had it all been on the same ticket it would have been a different story.

5. Yes, they’ve had this security feature in place for at least 3 or 4 months as around that long ago I hit this exact same snag (having also not updated my Avios address). At the time, the person I spoke to on the online chat thing (on Avios.com, not BA) said that if there was a problem sorting out the mis-match, he could do the transfer for me, so that _may_ still be worth trying if you can’t match addresses for some reason.

• memesweeper says:

I’ve also had to get my avios.com and FLYBE /email/ addresses in sync, to avoid issues. Why would they would assume we all use the same email address for everything?

6. I do not understand your comment about Avio users without a UK address may be committing fraud, or are at least using the facility of avios.com under false pretenses, by wanting to move their Avios.
    Many Spanish, and UK expats, gain Avios genuinely through Iberia Plus and British Airways Executive Club flights without having a UK address. I would like you to apologise for this statement and help us by telling us how best we may use avios.com.

• Avios.com T&Cs note the following:
      “To be eligible to collect Points under the Scheme you must provide an address in the UK, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.”
      BAEC and IB+ are separate schemes

• Which is different quite different to a requirement that members must “live in the UK”. So no fraud in having a UK based avios.com account if you “provide an address in the UK…”.

Whew!!

• Rob isn’t accusing anyone of fraud. He’s quoting Avios who have said they are tightening up procedures due to “fraud”.

He is speculating this isn’t just fraud in the conventional sense (eg someone making an unauthorised transfer from acustomer’s account), but may also be more inforcement of the Avios.com T&Cs around residency.

The Avios.com rules are separate from iberia plus and BAEC programs and did limit accounts to U.K. residents, so if non-residents have been using them then they shouldn’t have been and will be in breach of the T&Cs….

• As Genghis has correctly posted above there are no rules about residency for being a member of Avios (quite rightly since residency is a very complex subject, very often confused with its cousin tax residency). You must however provide an address in the UK to be a member of Avios. This is their right and one I am happy to go along with so I use my UK home for Avios. As someone who has worked or lived outside the UK for many years I also have an overseas home and that appears on my BAEC account.
        It is, as they say simples, and I don’t see why BA and Avios think it unusual. Of course I could move my BAEC address to the UK as well and this might solve the problem – though don’t see why I should bother just to sort out BAs lack of understanding of their customer base. I have tried to call them to query this but after an age holding on a line to Bremen I gave up.

7. I had recourse to close my Household account, transfer all the avios to my account, leaving my wife without any, before I could use some of the points to offset the cost of BA flights to South Africa. I found it, thanks to earlier instructions on here about how to do it, a very easy task. And then after saving myself some money, I reinstated the Household account! So once again, thanks to this site for showing me the way.

8. It doesn’t seem to be covered in the topic: does the order of actions matter to maximise the available avios on a household account. Should family members first use Combine My Avios individually, then they open a BA household account, or other way around? My family is relatively new to this, any advice would be much appreciated.

• With a BA household account, it doesn’t matter. You only have issues with CMA when you have an avios.com household account.

9. Nigel Cohen says:

I have an avois.com household account with approx 61,000 avoids that I want to transfer to my BA household account. How do I do it?

• You need to break up the avios.com HHA by posting back the paper form downloadable from avios.com. Once the HHA is broken up, you can move the points across to people with the same name inside your BA HHA (which does not need to be broken up).