Timed to match the launch of its new partnership with Qantas, the new tier will begin on April 1st.
The benefits, to be honest, are not terribly exciting. This is especially disappointing when you realise that you will need to have flown 150,000 qualifying miles with Emirates over a rolling 12 month period to achieve it. This is a whopping three times the 50,000 qualifying miles needed for Gold, the current top tier.
Full details of the benefits of each tier can be found here. It is not yet clear what benefits Emirates elites will get post April 1st when flying Qantas.
Platinum members will receive:
- Access to the First Class Lounge in Dubai (although if you are racking up this many qualifying miles then you are likely to be flying First or Business anyway)
- Access to First Class check-in
- Additional baggage allowance
- 75% bonus Skymiles (Gold gets 50%)
- Guaranteed seat available at full fare on any flight
- Ability to gift Gold status to a friend or partner
- Guaranteed reward seat availability on any flight with cash seats available for sale
The last benefit should not be underestimated. One of the biggest issues that heavy travellers have with frequent flyer schemes is the inability to use their miles when they need to, for a holiday. It is not clear how many seats can be booked at one time under this guarantee, though.
(British Airways addressed this when it launched ‘Gold Guest List’ a couple of years ago, for its elite flyers (5,000 tier points required). Members have the ability to request Avios redemption seats on any flight where seats are available, subject only to no other Gold Guest List member having asked for the same benefit on that flight.)
How to earn Emirates Skywards miles from UK credit cards (June 2022)
Emirates Skywards does not have a UK credit card. However, you can earn Emirates Skywards miles by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.
Cards earning Membership Rewards points include:
- American Express Preferred Rewards Gold (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 30,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 30,000 Emirates Skywards miles. This card is FREE for your first year and also comes with two free airport lounge passes.
- The Platinum Card from American Express (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 30,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 30,000 Emirates Skywards miles
- American Express Rewards credit card (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 5,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 5,000 Emirates Skywards miles. This card is FREE for life.
SPECIAL OFFER: The sign-up bonus on Amex Gold is increased from 20,000 Membership Rewards points to 30,000 Membership Rewards points until 19th July 2022. This card is free for the first year.
Membership Rewards points convert at 1:1 into Emirates Skywards miles which is an attractive rate. The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 1 Emirates Skywards mile. The Gold card earns double points (2 per £1) on all flights you charge to it.