Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The earnings rate on the old bmi credit cards has been secretly increased!

Yes, strange but true!

According to this Flyertalk thread, the earning rate on the bmi credit cards, issued by MBNA, has been increased!  This is despite the fact that a) that you can no longer apply for these cards and b) no-one has been officially notified of this increase.

My own card statement is not triggered for another couple of days, so I don’t have personal proof of this yet.  However, based on the FT thread:

The bmi American Express card rate is increased from 1.5 miles per £1 to 2 miles per £1

The bmi Visa card rate is increased from 0.75 miles per £1 to 1 mile per £1

The (very old) bmi £60 Platinum MasterCard, which I still have, is increased from an already-crazy 2 miles per £1 to 2.5 miles per £1

The (very old) bmi MasterCard is increased from 1.5 miles per £1 to 2 miles per £1

There are no data points yet on the bmi ‘Plus’ cards, but presumably similar increases have been applied and they will be earning 2.5 miles on the Amex and 1 or 1.5 miles

bmi credit cards

Why is this happening?  Does MBNA have a massive pile of pre-bought Diamond Club miles they want to use up before BA terminates their contract?  Have customers started to drift away now that Diamond Club is effectively closed and miles can only be transferred to Avios?  Have some people started using the BA American Express cards instead and MBNA wants to woo them back?

We don’t know.  But with earnings rates like this, you’d be crazy to use any other card in your wallet at the moment.

(PS.  None of these cards are available to new applicants, before anyone asks!)

(To see our complete list of all current credit card bonuses, click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Comments (27)

• Craig says:

I only received 1.5 miles per £ on my March statement, but that was mostly February spend so perhaps as mentioned above the 2 miles per £ kicked in on 1 March.

• CA says:

2 per pound for my old zero fee bmi Mastercard. Need to hit 241 on BAPP so can’t direct everything this way but now an even better option for non-AMEX merchants (Grrrrr B&Q) and once I’ve hit the 10K on BAPP

• gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

B&Q gift cards available at Tesco are purchasable with an Amex.
      Plus remember all of the usual vouchers/savings etc. to be had at Jack Cohen’s corner shop.

• Simon says:

Don’t forget you can also get 150 bonus clubcard points if you purchase £50 worth of non-tesco giftcards from Tesco.

A Shell near me sells B&Q giftcards so I’ll be going there at the weekend for my last Four Square Shell purchase to get some more

• Steve says:

I checked my BMI Plus statement after seeing the FT thread, and came back with some strange results….. my Visa was giving me 1.24 Avios per £ and the Amex 2.33 per £.

I will admit I worked it out in my head, and was very tired at the time – Will paste into Excel later to get an exact figure.

• Rob says:

The change seems to be 1 March, so if your statement straddles two months that may explain the odd numbers.

• andy21 says:

The stealth offer gets better – on my April statement there is, in addition to the 2 miles per £1 spent, a further ‘bonus miles’ amount showing which is equivalent to twice the value of my spend on ba.com during the period. So I got 4 miles per £1 for spending with BA – what a good offer, if only we knew in advance and how long it was going on for!

• BD701 says:

Strange because I didn’t get it. I just got a straightforward 2 per £.

However mine is the very old fee free Mastercard

• Nick says:

I was sent a comprehensive online survey to complete about the BMI Amex/Visa combo. From the questions asked data is certainly being compiled regarding customers’ attitudes, spending patterns etc. I can’t see BA wanting a redundant brand earning Avois – it’s a matter of time that an offer drops on the mat for a BA branded card.

• Vinny says:

Do I read correctly that you get extra miles for spending on Ba.com with a BMI MasterCard? I now seem to get 2 miles per £ for everyday spend which is great, but would I get 4 miles per £ spend on Ba.com?