Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Virgin launches Tesco Clubcard competition and 1,000 free miles for auto-convert opt-in

Virgin Flying Club has launched two promotions in conjunction with Tesco Clubcard – a competition and a 1,000 miles opt-in bonus.

The competition appears to be a response to this British Airways competition for Tesco converters.  Here are the details:

Virgin Tesco

Right now if you convert your Tesco Clubcard points into Flying Club miles between 4 November and 31 December 2013, you could win one of five prizes of 50,000 miles – Bringing your dream trip closer than ever. With this big boost of miles, you can treat yourself to a return Economy flight to the US, Barbados or Cape Town, an upgrade to Premium Economy or Upper Class and more…

You are automatically entered if you convert Tesco points to Virgin during the period.  Unlike the BA competition, you only receive one entry per person, however large your conversion.

The second promotion is 1,000 Virgin Flying Club miles if you opt-in to autoconvert your future Tesco Clubcard points to Virgin.

I do not recommend auto-converting your points, to either Virgin or Avios.  You would miss out if a conversion bonus came along, or indeed a better Tesco Clubcard offer for a non-travel deal.  It is better to keep your Clubcard vouchers in a drawer until you need them, or until a conversion bonus appears.

However, if you have a dormant Clubcard account, you should go for this.  In your personal details you can elect to have future Clubcard points sent to Virgin.  Even though your Clubcard account is empty, and will remain empty, you will still get the 1,000 miles.  I did this myself earlier in the year.

There is minimal small print attached to this:

You must sign up for Auto Opt In between 4 November and 31 December 2013 to qualify for the 1,000 bonus miles. The bonus miles can be earned only once.

HFP Virgin Atlantic Rewards credit card

How to earn Virgin Points from UK credit cards (November 2020)

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Points

As well as the two official Virgin Atlantic credit cards (see here, one has a bonus of 15,000 Points), you can also earn from various American Express cards – and these have sign-up bonuses too.

(Want to earn more Virgin Points?  Click here to see our recent articles on Virgin Atlantic and Flying Club and click here for our home page with the latest news on earning and spending other airline and hotel points.)

Comments (31)

• Joe says:

Is anything stopping u signing up for auto convert then opting back out before the next run of points?

• The Other Steve says:

Nothing at all – I’ve done this before, twice, and got the 1,000 bonus for opting in both times.

• Bill says:

What happens to vouchers already in your account? I have some in there that I’m waiting for a conversion bonus, will it convert those automatically?

• Rob says:

Two risks:

1. You need to cancel opt-out a few weeks before the end of the quarter, you can’t cancel at the last minute
      2. The 1,000 point bonus might not be triggered until the end of the quarter anyway

There is a risk that you end up sending some points to Virgin that you never intended, and that you never get the bonus anyway.

• Andy says:

Hi Raffles, not related to this post but just on the subject of Tesco CC, the wine deal is back and better than the one they ran in May – now offering 1000 pts with £60 purchase with XXGN4C code… until Sunday…

• Singing Dwarf says:

I still cant find this on Tesco or Virgin website – does anybody have a direct URL please?

• Rob says:

It’s not on the Virgin site, and I can’t post the online version of the email because it shows the account number and miles balance of the person who sent it to me. Neither is it on the Tesco site.

• Singing Dwarf says:

So this is a targeted offer then?

• Rob says:

Rules don’t say so. Are you opted in to junk email from Virgin?

• Singing Dwarf says:

Yes, I just checked my Communication Preferences – and I have not ‘opted out’ of Flying Club updates, although I have opted out of ‘Other Virgin Companies’ updates.

I have checked my Inbox (and Spam) and have received updates from Flying Club on 5th, 7th and 24th October – none of which contain the Tesco link.

Very odd.

• Mike says:

Sorry for posing this here, but I can’t post a comment on the relevant page as it’s too old.

I’ve just received an email about the Tesco My Kitchen app.

“Congratulations! You are the lucky winner of the Swan prize draw that featured on the Tesco My Kitchen app during October 2013.”

It looks real, the wording is similar to those that won 500 points. Does anyone remember this competition? Saying that, I don’t really need a new fridge!

• Rob says:

No idea, but well done anyway!

• TimS says:

Yes I think this was the monthly competition on the facebook game (in addition to the million clubcard quarterly comp) to win a Swan Fridge Freezer.

The November monthly competition is for a London Theatre break to see The 39 Steps.

• Mike says:

Thanks. It’s terrible that I’d prefer a few thousand points rather than a Swan Fridge! I’ll see if I know anyone who needs a new one.

• Ian says:

Just on a side note… I do auto opt in, simply because I’ll forget to convert… I know what I’m like! However, my other half doesn’t and converts during a bonus period.

During the most recent bonus period, I actually got a 30% bonus anyway – perhaps they’ve changed it, so you get the bonus miles, regardless?