Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

An interesting one for BMI credit card holders

Are you one of the many people who still holds one of the old BMI (British Midland) credit cards?  You would have been pretty crazy to cut them up, given that you will be earning up to 2.5 Avios per £1 on a MasterCard!

If you have one of these cards, you will be using ‘Combine My Avios’ every month to move your Destination Miles from Diamond Club across to British Airways Executive Club or avios.com.

bmi credit cards

Here is something I have noticed recently …..

Usually, with ‘Combine My Avios’, your details need to match PERFECTLY for the transfer to work.  Full name, home address, email address and date of birth – it seems that at least three of these need to match.

When moving Destinations Miles into Avios, though, the restrictions are weaker.  From a bit of testing, it seems that only surname and address need to match.

This means that you may be able to transfer Destinations Miles into the Avios account of another family member.  For example, my Mum has a BMI credit card and her Avios account is now at exactly 18,000 Avios (enough for a Club Europe redemption).

I decided to ‘freeze’ her account at this level, and have been moving her Destinations Miles into my own BA account.  (Not a fortune, just a couple of hundred a month.)  We only share surname and account address, not email address or, obviously, date of birth, but the transfers are going through OK.

If you or a family member still have a BMI credit card, you may be able to use this to distribute your credit card miles in a more effective way ….

Comments (22)

• Londonbus says:

I move mine over every month religiously.

Will be booking my long-haul trip with BA next week plus a hotel+flight booking to Rome. Interesting to see if the BA bonus credits…

• Chris1922 says:

I also move my old BMI Amex/Visa combo points over every month, I’m paranoid that the DC website closes or I lose all my DC points in some way or other.
    I agree with Andy above, no point in leaving them in DC………

• Freebs says:

I got one of these after a tip from Raffles (thank you!) – it’s been a phenomenal earner for me and I put everything I can through my Amex. Cant transfer the points this month though due to a “technical” hitch but I also do it every month, just in case….

• Graeme says:

+1 to the ‘Worriers’ List! You can’t help but feel that it won’t last for too much longer, although I doubt they’d take our points when they pull it. Still, when it works, Combine my Avios only takes a couple of minutes so it’s no real effort.

• Peter says:

My first ever contribution to HFP – so firstly may I add my thanks for the excellent work, Raffles. This post led me to discover that my wife has an “inactive” DC Plus Amex Card (85 pounds annual fee) with 95,000 destination miles. I note that destination miles transfers into BA Household Account balances are not possible, so what do I need to do effect a transfer now but keep our BA Household account (of which my wife is the head) intact over the long term? I have already looked under all the other bmi posts but no luck so far. Thank you for helping.

• flyforfun says:

I don’t think people should worry too much about the DC suddenly stop allowing you to transfer points. What I am more worried about is one of two things –

1) The BMI cards become obsolete and no alternatives come out.
    2) You have to decide if you want your DC miles to go to BAEC or AVIOS and it’s done automatically.

• Trevor says:

Thanks for tip, Raffles. Like many others, I too have religiously moved points over every month, but having just tested it with successfully moving 1 point from my DC into my wife’s BAEC, I think I’ll start to leave the points in DC. That way I can move to whichever account suits me best for future redemptions. Also a good way to activate/keep an account active if necessary. Of course this is hardly life-changing when normally earning less DC points and more current-churning-card points, but handy all the same.