Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

All six avios.com sale offers revealed early / first ba.com deals loaded!

EDIT, Monday 13 January – if you are looking for information on the £1 Reward flight Saver deal, please click here for todays post, where you will find the most up to date information.

My earlier post today said that the first avios.com sale offer would be revealed at lunchtime.  However, you don’t need to wait, as I have them all for you here!

These are the headlines – I have no idea what the terms and conditions are, whether deals are limited to various routes etc.

sale2

50% off Avios required for long-haul flights – noon Mon 6 to noon Wed 8

25% off car hire – noon Wed 8 to noon Fri 10

50% off hotel bookings – noon Fri 10 to noon Mon 13

Reward Flight Saver tickets reduced to £1 – noon Mon 13 to noon Wed 15 (see image above!)

50% off hotel bookings (again, a mistake?) – noon Wed 15 to noon Fri 17

40% off Eurostar – noon Fri 17 to noon Mon 20th

The first offer – 50% off long-haul redemptions – goes live at noon.  I don’t know yet if it will be just for economy flights or for all classes, and if all routes are included.

What this list does tell us is that ba.com cannot be offering exactly the same deals as avios.com, because they do not allow Eurostar bookings.

Meanwhile, over at ba.com:

The first ba.com sale flights have been loaded in the system.

New York, for instance, is coming up at 20,000 Avios in World Traveller.  Unfortunately, all other flight classes are still showing at full price.  Given that taxes are £353, this is still a pretty poor deal unless you are booking for peak season or need the flexibility to cancel which a cash ticket wouldn’t give you.

The full destination list is Boston, Chicago, Dubai, Denver, Shanghai, New York, Toronto, Washington. World Traveller (economy) only for travel by 31 May. It says you must depart from London but its worth trying with a regional connection.

Comments (145)

• Avios UK 50% Off Long-haul Economy Sale (Select Destinations) & Reward Flight Savers At 1GBP | mile tweets says:

[…] for Points (access here), a UK based Avios blog, posted the following other offers that should be available during this […]

• ShoNuffHarlem says:

Avios.com is UK only right, no luck for us Yankees?

• Rob says:

You can make up a UK address, but at present the deals are being duplicated at ba.com so you don’t need an avios.com account.

This may or may change for other ‘sale’ deals.

• Lady London says:

Hm…. thinking more strategically, what will this do for BA? Follow up the recent “Avios for everyone and everything not just for flights” by issuing a World Traveller-only offer? Move a good chunk of Avios liabilities off their balance sheet?

• Rob says:

Usually these sales are about generating cash via the taxes with the Avios liability down the list. Which is why the RFS £1 deal is interesting.

• squills says:

As an optimist, I see it as BA coming out fighting. They already showed plenty of this in the recent past with the taking on Ryanair/ EasyJet hand luggage only fares in Europe – which were/ are genuinely competitive. Now BA is offering decent value on long haul for many flights (OK not all) – and £1 RFS is surely enough to prove attractive to many would-be European ‘jaunters’ who just need an excuse to go away for a city break. (Surprised in a way they didn’t send out an email to Tesco points holders telling them to get their ducks in a row ready for next week…).

And as an optimist, aggressive marketing is not usually on-off – but more a continual planned strategy. So I reckon a Tesco bonus convo is definitely on the cards.

• pauldb says:

Maybe we’ll see a short tactical list of just-over-the-boundary-line destinations in the sale. For example. BCN/or VCE currently cost 15k avios and £35, compared to 9k + £35 for TLS/NCE. Cutting the former to 15k+£1 for a few days doesn’t seem particularly painful for the P&L.

• Londonbus says:

the first ba.com deal is poo. 50% off cattle. Really? £1 RFS is of interest.

Now 50% avios off J/F to those destinations.. game on 😉

• Simon says:

Based on the comments on here and on Facebook I’d be interested to know how many people have taken advantage of this offer, I don’t think I’ve read a single positive comment. I don’t mind travelling economy but like most people I wouldn’t use my Avios for a long haul economy flight due to the taxes.

Seems like the £1 RSF flight is the offer everyone is interested in, I noticed the 2 hotel offers have different URL’s one ends in jan-sale-hotels225 and the other ends in jan-sale-hotels165, maybe it’s just different hotels that are in the 2nd offer.

• Rob says:

The hotel deals will be published on HFP tomorrow!

• Simon says:

Excellent! Using the date and time on a users computer to display the deals is one of most amateur things I’ve seen for a while IT wise, although I’ve not managed to be able to view the links with the details of the other deals in.

I imagine the £1 flights will be of more interest than the hotel deals, looking forward to tomorrow’s posts!

• Georgie says:

Is there an end date on the date for flights taken under the £1 RFS deal yet. Does anyone know if it will be 31st May ? The amount of speculative interest there is in this i’m wondering if the AVIOS site will be able to cope with the search traffic. It didn’t cope well yesterday.

• Rob says:

I have the details, the dates and the routes. And I’m publishing them tomorrow!

• thesaver79 says:

Excellent! I guess that would leave enough time to transfer some MR points if I need to and them ready by Monday 🙂

• Alan says:

Haha what a tease 🙂 Will be great to know in advance of Monday though!

• Blackberryaddict says:

Are you publishing them in your normal morning email?

• Rda says:

Looking forward to seeing the routes and dates. I’m sure I’ll be disappointed though!