Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Avios hotels sale now live – 50% off on CASH as well as Avios bookings!

The Avios ‘50% off hotels’ sale is now available for booking.  However, I recommend you use this ba.com booking link as that one seems to be working properly (ie displaying all the hotels, not just a few).

What I did not expect is that the ‘pay with cash’ price has also been halved.  This means two things:

You are only getting 0.57p per Avios if you choose to use your miles to pay, since they have halved both the ‘pay with Avios’ and ‘pay with cash’ prices.  I wasn’t expecting that.

With cash prices halved, there are some exceptional deals to be had.

The super-luxe Conrad Algarve, for example, is available through the peak Summer season at half-price.  Even the half-board packages are half-price!  August 3-9th, for example, is £1,290 (or of course you can use Avios) for a Deluxe Double half-board. On hilton.com, you would be paying €3,546 Euro for (advanced purchase) dinner, bed and breakfast.

In Prague, 14-16 March, the InterContinental is available for 950 Avios and £105, the total for 2 nights, WITH breakfast.  The cheapest rate at intercontinental.com is €192 WITHOUT breakfast.

In Budapest, one of the best hotels in Europe – the Four Seasons Gresham Palace – is available for Valentine’s weekend (14-16 February) for £230 + 4,400 Avios for two nights, with breakfast.  fourseasons.com wants €590 for the same thing.  (EDIT: this one is now sold out for those dates)

You need to book by noon on Monday for travel by 30th September.

The small print says “Amendments and cancellation are permitted subject to the Avios cancellation and amendment terms where a fee as stated on avios.com will apply.”  Not sure what these are though!

The participating cities in this round are, as a reminder:

Vienna
Dubrovnik
Prague
Copenhagen
Berlin
Budapest
Istanbul
The Algarve

Comments (116)

• John says:

Two nights in Prague for 105 when expedia lists as 281 and three nights in Vienna for 105 when expedia lists as 460. Plus I get breakfast and it only ‘cost’ me 2,000 avios! Throw in a couple of RFS flights and I’m a happy bunny.

• Jay says:

I got 3000 Avios as my birthday gift from Avios to use by March 1st. I could use that in the sale for Hotels. As you spotted, I got a weekend stay at Intercontinental Berlin for 2 days .

Raffles,
    Have you stayed in those. How are they ? That will be my first stay in Intercontinental. Does it make any difference being a IHG Platinum member for an Avios reservation ? Will they allow an early/late checkout ? Or does it count towards big win qualification or any promotions ?

• Rob says:

It will make no difference on an Avios redemption if you are Ambassador (unless the hotel is feeling generous) and you won’t get points / Big Win credentials.

IC Berlin is generally well regarded although not stayed there myself. You can’t go wrong at this price though, wait until you see the price of breakfast if you had to pay for it ….!

• Pommyboi says:

I think I’m doing something wrong, no deals jumping out to me. When I looked at Dubrovnik Hotel More, it’s 22,000 miles and £20 more than Trivago is quoting. The same when I look at a few hotels in Vienna, K&K Maria, £270+ 8150 Avios or £258 via Trivago 🙁 This is for 2 nights in June

I’ll keep looking before the offer ends…

• It's back! 50% off Avios/Cash Hotel booking in 6 European Cities This Weekend Only: $65 Star Hotel Rooms This Summer...and a Car Rental, TOO! | First2Board says:

[…] Head for Points broke this deal over the weekend and I used it last round for Prague. […]

• Jay says:

Sorry to dig up this thread. As I told you earlier, I booked I C Berlin using £100 and 4,000 avios in March. If I have to reschedule the dates, will I be paying the new rates or just the re-scheduling fees of £25 ?

Did anyone try this ?

• Jay says:

I booked for 2 nights using the avios sale.

• Rob says:

Good question, as Avios is not used to dealing with this situation. You will need to call and ask.

• Jay says:

On web chat, they told me that I have to pay what it costs as of now and get credit for what I already paid for. So in effect I have to pay the difference.

Do you think calling them up will make any difference.

• Rob says:

No. It doesn’t surprise me, to be honest. After all, the sale prices were not available for all days in the first place, so letting you change without repricing would be unfair as you could move to a date which was never even in the sale.