Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Interesting Amex Platinum offer – £50 of free steak!

In one of the odder American Express promotions of recent times, all Platinum charge card holders are being offered £50 of free steak!

More precisely, they are being offered a £50 statement credit for eating at MASH in Soho – intriguingly described as “the modern American steakhouse with a Danish twist”.

Don’t ask me what the Danish twist actually is.  I haven’t eaten here myself, although the reviews are excellent.

Mash

The offer runs until June 15th.

Here is the small print:

American Express Platinum Cardmembers are eligible to receive a £50 statement credit when they spend £50 or more in one transaction at MASH London, 77 Brewer Street between 15 April – 15 June 2014.  To redeem the offer make a reservation by calling our Platinum Concierge Service on 0845 608 0845.  Offer can only be redeemed once per Platinum Cardmember.  Spend must be billed to your Card account before 15 June 2014 to be eligible for this offer.  Any additional amount over £50 must be settled with your American Express Platinum Card.  Statement credit will be applied after 2-3 days but can take up to 8 weeks.  This offer is not available to supplementary Cardmembers.

The small print is a bit of a nonsense:

Firstly, if you have to book via the Concierge Service, why does the email have ‘book online now’ in two places which links to the MASH website?

Secondly, how would Amex know whether you have charged the full meal to your Amex Platinum card or not?  They will trigger the statement credit when they see MASH appear on your statement.

The terms and conditions above do not suggest that this offer is targeted.  Based on the comments below, however, it seems that it may be.  It also seems from the comments below, however, that Amex can add it to your account if you ring and ask.

I intend to give this a go with a couple of Platinum-holding friends.  We will ask to split the bill (which we will ensure just nudges above £150!) three ways – I can’t see how the restaurant can refuse, as they would do this for anyone else.

It is also worth noting that MASH has a standalone bar.  I wouldn’t want to put money on it, but I am pretty sure that if you spent £50 in the bar then it would also trigger the £50 statement credit.

It is interesting to note that this is the third year running that American Express has run a ‘free steak’ promotion!  For the last two years it was in conjunction with the ‘Palm’ in Belgravia, where they ran the same offer.  We went along in 2012 and it was  …. ok.  Nothing wrong with the food, but knocking off the £50 credit simply brought the price down to what I would have considered reasonable in the first place.

If you were thinking of getting a Platinum card in the next couple of months, think of this offer as an additional £50 off your annual fee!  The offer appears to be open to any personal Platinum cardholder, with no registration required.

(To see our complete list of all current credit card bonuses, click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Comments (81)

• ADS says:

I went for lunch yesterday with a couple of friends – awesome steak, as always.
    Thanks to Andy21 for the tip about the lunch menu – I had to ask to be given it.

The waitress informed me that I would have to spend at least £60 to get the Amex offer.
    And when it came to paying the bill, she told me that we had to use a single card – we weren’t even going to use two Amex cards, but I suspect they just want to play safe.

• Alan says:

Hmm – “The waitress informed me that I would have to spend at least £60 to get the Amex offer” – I’d certainly be disputing that one with them if it came to it given the T&Cs say “American Express Platinum Cardmembers are eligible to receive a £50 statement credit when they spend £50 or more in one transaction at MASH London, 77 Brewer Street, London, W1F 9ZN between 15 April – 15 June 2014”

I wonder how she knew you were on the Amex offer? I’ve booked online via the link in the email and I couldn’t see it had anything specific to Amex in the link.

• ADS says:

I knew we would be spending more than £60 so I didn’t bother querying it.

I booked through Amex Concierge so I guess they assume that I would be taking up the offer !

• Alan says:

Ah OK, thanks. Interesting that they remembered – I booked Gaucho (quite close to MASH actually, and very nice steak!) and had to remind them that we were due a free glass of champagne each as per the Concierge offer!

Menu looks good though, looking forward to eating my free £50-worth 🙂

• Nick says:

I have emailed them as well because I didn’t received an email. If they deny it, I’m cancelling the card. Renewal is end of May anyway :P.

• Jason says:

I used this offer at the wkend, it’s a nice place, but as someone else said, the steak is fatty, to that end, I said i wasn’t impressed and got the pudding for free 🙂 It’s and ok Restaurant, i think if you’re spending that sort of money (without the credit) The Savoy Grill do a much better steak and a rump steak! Would i go back, not really. If a credit was given, perhaps.

• Fenny says:

Steak & chips for lunch on Tuesday with a colleague. I thought the steak was excellent and the chips weren’t too shabby either. Credit hit my Amex account yesterday. Apart from the overcrowding on the Victoria Line, quite a pleasant end to a couple of days of inflicting exams on apprentices!

• Trevor says:

Took the family on Saturday and so two £25 lunch specials served us well. Throw in 2 glasses of wine and service, take away the refund and it cost £17 – not bad. Nice place and good food, but at over £100 without the lunch and Amex specials for the same food and I would certainly not be smiling. I had the Uruguayan ribeye and since we happened to have had ribeye at home the night before, an easy comparison, and theirs was only marginally better, so I certainly don’t agree with the inflated prices and certainly wouldn’t pay them.