Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

NEWSFLASH: BA launches ‘flash’ £1 taxes and 50% fewer Avios sale!

British Airways gave me a bit of a surprise this morning by launching a ‘flash’ redemption sale via an announcement on the ‘offers’ page of ba.com.

This is a very quick post as I am due at an event at World Travel Market in 5 minutes!

The short haul deal covers 10 European routes.

You need to book your seat before midnight on November 17th and travel before January 31st.

You will pay the usual Avios price but the taxes charge is reduced by £34 to just £1!

The list of participating routes is here.  They are all in the 15,000 to 20,000 Avios per seat band which means they are generally ‘Winter sun’ routes.  Only economy seats are available.

New BA short haul seat 1

The long haul deal covers 35 routes.

The number of Avios required for World Traveller (ie economy) seats is reduced by HALF on 30 routes and by a quarter on the remaining five. The taxes figure is unchanged, however.

The booking and travel dates are the same as for the short haul offer.

The list of routes is here.  Dubai and Abu Dhabi are included if the Winter weather is getting you down this week.

Not sure if these can be booked via avios.com or if you need to move your points over to British Airways Executive Club first.

Seats are available for booking now.  Full analysis tomorrow. Right, off to my meeting ….

Comments (40)

• Stuart says:

Interesting – A very quick, side by side comparison to BCN for 3 days in December nets a fairly normal value of 0.6p per avios. The same 0.6p per avios you get when applying avios for cash saving. I think I’d rather pay the 90 quid and get the tier points 🙂

• AndyGWP says:

Thanks for highlighting / reminding me of this – in the excitement of saving a few quid and utilising avios, it hadn’t crossed my mind that prices to some destinations are usually cheaper through January

• idrive says:

that’s the problem,. with cash tickets generally so cheap as they are now, it oftenmakes no points.

• Rob says:

Dubai etc will presumably be relatively pricey, or at least not as low as mid-Summer. Although the Middle East is not boiling in January, we were in Dubai in February a few years ago and it was only warm enough for sunbathing between, say, 10 and 2. Albeit that is 4 hours more sunbathing than you will be doing in London!

• C77 says:

The lowest fare in Jan to Dubai on ba.com is £43 + £341 in taxes.
            The avios on offer deal is 20,000 avios + £341 tax.
            I value 20,000 avios at more than £43. Plus for that additional outlay I would earn 6806 additional avios and tier points for doing so. I could also use 3,000 avios and have the fare reduced by £20 and still be richer in avios from when I started to the tune of 3806. So its important to weigh up (like anything) how good a deal REALLY is

• Rob says:

Is it really so cheap? I’m surprised.

• idrive says:

50% on Iberia too
    Booking Period: From 5 to 15 November, 2014.
    Flight Period: From 1 December, 2014 to 31 January, 2015.

• Eleanor says:

Mmmm…arrived in Alicante today, 6th November, on a RFS booked last week…so missed out there, no chance of a retrospective I guess!?!

Also, have used a 241 for a trip to Washington in December….so the 50% deal looked good for a cancellation / re-booking, until I saw it was in World Traveller only. Think I’d rather keep my CW booking at full avios and 241. Unless it might be extended across all classes????

I too had to forego a planned visit to WTM, look forward to your WTM post Raffles!

• Rob says:

I am not a fan of WTM but was invited to a blogger networking event today. Met one useful trade person and 10 less useful ones but, if that one comes to something, it will have been worth it.

• Max says:

Need some help here guys as I have not booked any RFS before.
    Just tried Venice in Dec/Jan on BA, however, it’s still showing 15,000 Avios + £35 tax (not £1)

• squills says:

Just did a dummy flight for you LHR-VCE 9-17 Dec.

Loads of availability then & each side.

Use the links above.