Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways launches Greek tourist routes from London City

In a slightly left field move, British Airways has announced the launch of two new ‘Summer sun’ routes from London City Airport.

From June 29th until September 6th, British Airways will be offering:

four flights per week to Mykonos

two flights per week to Santorini

BA London City

As these are City routes, they will be operated by BA CityFlyer using its fleet of Embraer planes.  I’m not sure how comfortable these will be for a four hour flight, to be honest.

The existing services from Heathrow to Mykonos and Santorini appear to be continuing.

Cash and redemption seats are already available at ba.com although I could not find any Club Europe availability, only EuroTraveller.

That said, as there is no lounge at London City, the legroom is the same in all seats and there is no ’empty middle seat’ benefit (Embraer seating is 2×2) you don’t miss much if you are down the back!

Comments (18)

• Kirill says:

Thanks for the heads up. Is there any reason why there is no avios availability for the whole summer? Is it just not being released? I think it’s the same for the santorini route from heathrow as well.

• sandgrounder says:

Had a great flight AGP-LCY last easter, but it was only half full (if that) and we had exit seats.

• al says:

Give me an Embraer from LCY over economy from LGW or LHR anyday. Seats more comfortable, more leg room, 2 seats per row rather than 3. And food that is more like an old style meal rather than a cold wrap.

• Don says:

I’m going to join the chorus in favour of the E-jets. The seats are far more comfortable than the new LCC-style seats on the mainline short haul fleet. There may be no lounge at LYC, but you don’t need one given how little time you spend at the terminal there compared with the larger airports.

In short, this is great news!

• George says:

Not sure about the plane, but the shorter queues at City and overall better airport experience than LGW / LHR swing it for me. No brainer really…

• keiths says:

I must admit, this is completely at odds with my experience.

In the summer we did LCY to MAH. I thought it would be a refreshing change.

Plane was fine – airport was a shambles – just don’t think it is geared up to holiday traffic (didn’t help that I forgot I could check-in at the Club desk with my Marco Polo Gold !). Queues virtually out the door and once through security absolutely nowhere to sit down as it was so packed.

This was also a weekday morning

• Billy says:

Flew back from Palma last night on BA Embraer 190SR to London City.
    My absolute favourite aircraft to fly on in Europe.
    In Y, more leg room than Club Europe into LHR two weeks previously.

• Georgie says:

Strange how two people can have a completely different experience of the exact same thing. Can never decide if it is down to different expectations or the service and hard product being different on different days.

Flew LCY to MAH at the end of August and thought it was fine. Highlight of the return journey was from disembarking to being in the cab, 25 mins. The airport was busy, but then so are a lot of others in the school summer holidays. Guess it depends on how much you value the ‘lounge experience’ – we can take it or leave it.