Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways to move to Gatwick South Terminal in November 2016

British Airways announced yesterday that it will be moving its operation at London Gatwick to the South Terminal in November 2016.

This move has been on the cards for some time.  It has been driven by easyJet – the biggest airline at Gatwick – which wanted to operate its flights from one terminal.  easyJet will now consolidate all of its flights in the North Terminal with British Airways relocating.  (An interesting question is whether easyJet will now start selling connecting flights via Gatwick.)

This is not terrible news, to be honest.  For a start, anyone arriving at Gatwick by train will no longer have to take the monorail to the North Terminal.  It will also be nearer to the long-stay parking.  The walk to the gates is also likely to be shorter.

Gatwick South

It will also allow British Airways to invest in new lounges to replace the frankly shoddy effort – compared to its Heathrow siblings – that currently exists.  I wrote about my previous visit to the British Airways First lounge at Gatwick here.  The wording of the internal announcement yesterday spoke of ‘lounge’ rather than ‘lounges’ so it is possible that there will be just one combined lounge for all passengers.

I am positive about this move, especially as it shows the long-term commitment of British Airways to Gatwick.  The heavy competition from easyJet on short-haul will hopefully lead to an investment in high quality facilities.

Comments (47)

• Rob says:

I think the shops will be changed around as well. Certain retailers want the BA crowd and others want the easyJet crowd so you may see some swapping over.

• Oyster says:

Is there really a BA crowd now? Anyone thinking BA is the posh option is misguided.

• Rob says:

You have a lot of passengers on the Caribbean long-hauls. I would guess, in general, that the average age of a BA short-haul passenger is older and therefore wealthier and with different tastes in clothing etc than an easyJet short-haul passenger, ex Gatwick.

• Aeronaut says:

I’d switch that around and say presuming easyJet passengers are all Rab C Nesbit types in string vests (or rather their southern cockney/mockney equivalents) off to Magaluf/Shagaluf is rather out of date, if in fact that was ever that accurate.

Plenty of well off folks can be found on easyjet flights nowadays – not everyone’s playing the frequent flyer miles game after all. That said, I’d think leisure flyers off on holiday to the Caribbean are probably a better market for upmarket retail than short haul European flyers (whether on BA or easyJet)

• Nick says:

Raffles, can you not add a “View online/view in browser” link at the TOP of your emails? Or make the email headline into a link.

When I receive your emails, I like to quickly click through to your site so I can read comments and open multiple tabs etc.

With this new system, I have to scroll all the way down, just to get the article on your website.

Hope this makes sense!

• Rob says:

That can be fixed. I don’t need the ‘Published on’ bit anymore because I have changed the set-up to show the first paragraph in your email client. I can replace this with a click-through to the online version. Let me look at it.

From tomorrow, the ‘Click here to comment’ link under the article will take you directly to the comments and not to the top of the page, saving a vital 2 seconds of scrolling time!

• Cheshire Pete says:

Agree with the 2 posters above, MAN needs a direct connection into the BA hub here, or it doesn’t interest me at all using their services from there. I have 2 ALC bookings in the system but that is it, and when Iberia start their MAN service to MAD this year I’ll be using that route and not LGW anymore.

I often wonder when BA did the apparent business justification for pulling the route did they factor in passengers transferring onto more expensive routes now don’t do this anymore. I used to do MCO every year, now I go direct from MAN with other carriers.

• Andrew S says:

I always found the lounge staff to be very good, but a little embarassed by their facilities. I made some comments via the SMS survey after secuity and it must have come through onto the lounge ipad as special services found me to understand my comments.

Lets just hope some hot food arrives in the new lounge!

• Mark says:

One of the several reasons that I’m disinclined to fly with BA from Gatwick is having the Swissport shower make you wait ages for bag collection, which has happened to us several times (the last occasion being 1hr40!).

Any news on that front?

• Phil T says:

For me and her indoors walking from the Sofitel directly to security having checked our bags in the night before is a definite bonus so I will miss this convenience.
    It was also a big disappointment when they closed the arrivals lounge in the Sofitel saying there would be improvements as a result. Ha ha!
    And I agree the first lounge is so poor.

• Stu p. says:

I guess the parking prices will swap too?! Last week was £50 more expensive in North short stay than South.

• Aeronaut says:

Cripes! Catching the inter-terminal transit train really isn’t that much of a hassle.

• Paul says:

…and about 3 minutes…

• Paul says:

I do actually despair of some of the people here. It’s a short hop from T1 to T2. About 3 mins on the triple-rail plus a couple of mins waiting, maybe.

So why would a person/ loser think there’s much difference between T1 & T2 & facilities etc?

They are about 5 mins apart…

• Can't Sleep says:

3 mins when its running normally.
            There has been a few times now where they’ve only had one track running making the wait at 5 mins between shuttles.

When I arrive on a late running BA flight, walk the long walk to arrivals or endure the bus transfer (waiting for all pax to get off the aircraft) and know that you’ve ten minutes to make your train else its a 40 minute wait for the next one, an additional 3-5 minutes on the transit can and has, made the final difference to making it.

• Can't Sleep says:

And when I say “walk the long walk”, in reality I’m often running.

• Chris says:

And with this change, the return of an Arrivals Lounge?

We can dream…