BA sale

Bits: LA in PremEco for £1000, Hilton credit card free night, 40% off United miles

Here are three short stories which didn’t justify a full article:

Los Angeles in Premium Economy for £1,000

Air New Zealand is having a flash sale on flights to Los Angeles which ends TODAY.  They sell this route because they fly London Heathrow to Los Angeles to Auckland, picking up and dropping off on the way.

Economy is £650 which, for the peak Summer season, is not bad.  Business Premier is £2,500 which, to be honest, is not earth shattering.  £1,000 for their Premium Economy seat is probably the best deal of the three.

You need to book via the normal ANZ website by midnight on Monday for travel between 1 April and 31 August, or 15 November to 15 December 2015.  Air New Zealand is a member of Star Alliance so you can earn miles with any Star Alliance airline.   (Thanks to Tony)

IC Westminster Conrad 3

My Hilton credit card free night arrived in 13 days

Regular readers know that I recommend the Hilton Visa credit card to beginners to this hobby.  You get a free weekend night (valid for 6 months) at any Hilton, Conrad (Conrad London pictured above), Waldorf-Astoria etc hotel globally for spending just £750.  It is a great introduction to the value you can get from points and miles promotions.

I recently got this card again after a two year break.  On Saturday 31st January I used it for the first time as part of my tax payment.  The email containing the code required to book my free night arrived on Friday 13th February.

Given that the credit card charge would have taken a few days to reach Barclaycard, this is quite impressive.

I should also say that the free night voucher for spending £10,000 on my IHG Rewards Club Premium Visa also turned up in a similar timeframe a few weeks ago.

United 350

40% bonus when you buy United Airlines miles

Finally, United Airlines is offering a discount of up to 40% when you buy their miles.

As few Head for Points readers have a large United collection I will not go into the scheme in details. If you were thinking of topping up your account, now is not a bad time.

The offer ends tonight. The discount is either 25% or 40% depending on how many you buy. 15,000 is the minimum purchase to save 25% whilst purchases of 30,000 to 150,000 save 40%.

The link to buy is here.

This offer may combine nicely with the current United redemption sale on Star Alliance partners (see here) which runs until February 28th for travel until the end of the year.

Why British Airways On Business points are now worth a lot more
25% bonus when you convert hotel points to American Airlines

Comments

1. …. which is what I did. It has already been paid which is good going.

2. Does the Hilton credit card free night also work for family rooms? More specifically rooms with cot beds (our daughter is 3 months now).

3. Michalis says:

Is there a way to extend the validity of the certificate by a little bit – maybe by 2 weeks? Either by booking and cancelling, or courtesy extension?

My certificate posted this Friday, much earlier than expected and have some holidays coming up at the end of August in Maui and would (potentially) like to use it at Grand Wailea.
    Is there any way to do that or I should be looking for a different redemption?

• It is not something they are known for doing, lets put it that way. Especially if you don’t have a serious excuse like illness.

• ComeFlyWithMe123 says:

Does anyone know if the voucher has to be used for a stay before the expiry date or just has to be booked before the expiry date and the stay can be after?

• Needs to be for a stay within the voucher validity – otherwise the risk of the hotel saying the reward certificate (in this case the voucher) is invalid and cash price has to be paid instead. Occasional reports of folk having success but personally I wouldn’t risk it.

4. I signed up for this card last year and cancelled shortly after using the free night voucher, which was around the middle of August 2014. How long would I be expected to wait until I can reapply and qualify for the voucher? Six months or a year? Or perhaps longer? Any ideas?

Thanks

• I generally say a year but I know someone who got it again with a 6 month gap. There is no stated rule.

• Hi raffles

I applied for this 2 years ago at this time for wife and I, made the £750 spend and got 2 certificates. Used them back to back at Waldorf Caledonian in Edinburgh during the festival at around £1.1k. Cancelled card in August.
        Then applied again last February and did exactly same again.
        Just been accepted today for both us again so it’s just under 6 months for me to try and repeat again.

5. I also got the Hilton free night certificate on the 13th – after hitting the spend target with a tax bill at the end of January – so impressively fast. Based on the other comments however it seems they just processed a big batch on that date.

I’ve done one Hilton stay since getting the card but there’s no sign of the 2500 bonus points.

6. I vouch for the ANZ Premium Economy to LA being a good experience – the seat is much better than on Virgin or BA (within a shell so that the seat in front doesn’t recline into your space at all) and the service on ANZ is excellent. I would say that £1000 is an okay but not amazing price though – it is £900-odd fairly regularly.

7. Nick Burch says:

Slightly OT, but there’s some great fares to the Middle East on Qatar ex-Brussels right now. Looking in August, I managed to find Brussels to Dubai in business (via Doha) for £821 return!

BA are also doing ex-AMS, ex-BRU or ex-LUX to Dubai for about the £1100 mark (exact price varies by city)

8. Flight Risk says:

Does anybody know what the Tesco boost offer on Ticketmaster was today, Iv been counting it down since Head for points shared it last week but I missed it, but it doesn’t show me what the deal was! hopefully it wasn’t to good! can’t believe I missed it!

9. Flight Risk says:

Interesting point to note re: Hilton credit card

You get 2,500 points bonus for each of your first 4 stays. However my company pays the hotel with there credit card but last week I had two Hilton stays, the first one I used my Hilton card and charged back my drinks to my own credit card for extras and the bonus 2,500 credit to my account even thought I didn’t pay for the room.

10. I am a HiltonHonors diamond member and have been for more than 10 years. last week unexpectedly and for no reason that I am aware of , i received an email awarding myself with an extra 100,000 points. Does anyone know why?

• Nick Burch says:

It’s part of the start of their “targeted promotions” – details on the HHonors forum on flyertalk

11. I don’t appear so lucky – I reached my qualifying spend on 1st Feb (just one day after Rob) but haven’t received a voucher yet…. and hoping to spend it in April to it would have been handy to have it on friday.