Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Welcome Rewards relaunches as Rewards – what has changed?

Links on Head for Points may support the site by paying a commission.  See here for all partner links. relaunched its Welcome Rewards loyalty scheme as Rewards yesterday.

You can see the new home page for the programme here.

I am a big fan of Rewards / Welcome Rewards as I wrote in this article.  It is a very simple scheme:

you get a free night for every 10 nights you book via

the value of your free night is the average price you paid for the 10 nights

as long as you stay one night every 12 months, your accumulated count of nights does not expire

The downside of booking via is that you will not receive loyalty points, stay credit or – in most cases – status benefits at the hotels where you stay.

However, if your job involves staying at random hotels with no clear preferred chain, you may find Rewards works better for you.  Even if you spend 80% of your nights with, say, Hilton and have status with them you may still find it worthwhile booking the other 20% of your rooms via

What has changed from Welcome Rewards?

‘Not much’, it seems.  Which is good news.

You will still receive one free night for every 10 nights.  That part of the programme is untouched.

Similarly, the two status levels – Silver (10 nights in a year) and Gold (30 nights in a year) are unchanged.  These do not come with any real benefits, however, except for improved customer service if things go wrong.

The key addition is ‘Your Secret Price’.

‘Your Secret Price’ appears to be the outcome of price fixing investigations launched in recent years by the EU against hotel chains.  In simple terms, IS now able to undercut the price charged online by major chains without being punished by them.

However, you MUST be a Rewards member or a registered (and logged in) user to see these prices.  This allows the hotel companies to avoid having to pay out on their Best Rate Guarantee programmes as these rates will not technically be available to everyone.

Don’t get too excited though.  So far there seem to be very few ‘secret prices’ available.  A search for a random date in London in mid June found only a handful of properties and these were all independents, not part of large chains.  The number of four-star and five-star hotels in London with a ‘secret price’ was, erm, 1.

That seems to be it.  For once, a hotel loyalty programme makes changes and nothing bad happens.

Hotel offers update – February 2024:

Want to earn more hotel points?  Click here to see our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.

Want to buy hotel points?

  • Hilton Honors is offering an 80% to 100% bonus when you buy points by 12th March 2024. Click here.
  • IHG One Rewards is offering an 80% bonus when you buy points by 7th March 2024. Click here.
  • Marriott Bonvoy is offering a 35% to 40% bonus when you buy points by 31st March 2024. Click here.
  • World of Hyatt is offering a 20% discount when you buy points by 9th April 2024. Click here.

Comments (19)

This article is closed to new comments. Feel free to ask your question in the HfP forums.

  • Kai says:

    Today I managed to change a 3-day non-refundable booking on to one day for free via customer service although I’m only a silver member. Thanks for the HFPers who previous mentioned this benefit for gold members! And you are great!

This article is closed to new comments. Feel free to ask your question in the HfP forums.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.