Bits: first photos of Aspire lounge in Terminal 5, Dragonpass lounge deal, free Hilton Gold via Etihad transferable

News in brief:

First photographs of the Aspire lounge in Heathrow Terminal 5

Thanks to reader Neil, I can share a couple of photographs of the new Aspire airport lounge in Heathrow Terminal 5.  This officially opens on Monday and is not yet listed on the Priority Pass website.  I think these are the first pictures of it to appear anywhere.

Aspire lounge Heathrow

and:

Aspire Heathrow Terminal 5 lounge

I should be there next week so I will report back.  Once I know exactly what cards are accepted, I will write an article on the best ways to gain access.

If you are planning to visit the Aspire lounge and do not have a Priority Pass, your best option is to book in advance and guarantee admission via the Aspire website here.

Dragonpass

Dragonpass lounge deal in The Telegraph TODAY

Dragonpass is a Priority Pass-clone which is trying to gain traction in the UK.  There is an interesting deal in The Telegraph today, ie Saturday.

You usually need to buy a Dragonpass membership card for £60 before you can buy their lounge passes.  With this offer, you can just buy the passes you need for the standard cost of £15 each.  This is the same cost as having a Priority Pass, except that Priority Pass will charge you £69 for your card first!

More details are on The Telegraph website here.  Remember that you can get one for free today if you spend £10 at Waitrose and show a My Waitrose card!

Hilton Gold 350

Etihad ‘free Hilton Gold’ offer IS transferable

Finally, you may have had an email from Etihad yesterday offering free Hilton HHonors Gold membership until the end of October, with an extension to March 2017 if you complete three stays.

The link in the email can only be used once.  However, the offer is fully transferable.  I proved this.  I got the email from Etihad but input the details of my wife’s account (which is under a different surname so it was clear to Hilton that it was not me).  She was instantly upgraded to Gold.

I now need to decide whether I should put three stays through her account in order to get her Gold status until March 2017.  It would allow me to let my own Gold lapse after March 2016.

Important dates for your diary
American Express Platinum Cashback Card (UK) - in-depth review

Comments

1. Did everyone get the Etihad offer? I don’t seem to have received it, do you need to be a certain status with them to receive it?

• I got it and am just a basic member. I only have 5774 guest miles from four flights in April. The email subject was “Enjoy an upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold plus earn up to quadruple miles”

• I’m a basic member. My 15000 points came from signing up and converting Heathrow Reward points.

• Not sure, I am Gold

• Colin JE says:

Nope, I didn’t get it either. Etihad Gold member, though no flights (given because of AirBerlin status). But all my email preferences are turned ON. Have checked my spam folder and nothing. Wonder how they decided who to send it to…

2. Rich Spencer says:

Anyone know if the 3 Hilton stays could be reward stays?

• Yes they can.
      I did a mvp challenge last month and did 4 reward stays for 5k each and got gold. Also got a 5k bonus per stay 🙂

• So you spent 20k and got 20k back? Impressive!

• +1 here. AND they paid me 2.5k points per stay bonus on top thanks to the bonus from the credit card – which I had already canceled months ago. So I spent 20k points and got 30k points, gold status, and the 4 nights with free breakfast 😀

3. From what I can on the Hilton offer the link they send only works for one account (regardless of which one you use)

4. Marwan says:

Along the same lines, anyone knows if bookings made through a third party would count for the 3 stays?

5. Kristian says:

Judging by last year the code for free Dragonpass will be TELEDP15

6. Kristian says:

We are offering Telegraph subscribers the chance to purchase a single lounge visit at the fantastic price of only £15 per person per visit. The DragonPass eCertificate will give you access to to over 750 lounges worldwide with no annual membership fees.

How does it work?

For each visit you purchase you will be sent a single-use eCertificate that you need to print off and hand over as you enter the lounge. You can also just show your DragonPass eCertificate on either your smartphone or tablet when you enter the lounge.

Before purchasing an eCertificate we suggest that you use our Lounge Search function to ensure that we have a lounge in our network to suit your travel needs. You can then either click through from the search results or click the Buy Now link at the top of the page or click here to purchase your eCertificate(s).

Once your payment has been received your eCertficate will be generated and emailed to you. We suggest that you save a copy and print one off.

Please note that your eCertificate(s) will only be able to be used by the person named on the eCertificate. You may purchase eCertificate for other people but please do so using their name.

• Trevor says:

Hi folks, I have the Telegraph today I can’t find this offer mentioned about the free Dragonpass card? Am I going daft

• I did the same thing – took me ages to find it – it’s in the main paper on page 27 at the bottom!

7. Apparently this offer is available all year round for Telegraph subscribers. As a Fantasy Football manager, you get a free subscription to the Telegraph online, so I’m just off to look for my subscription details.

8. Dragonpass doesn’t seem to have the same lounges as Priority Pass. I just checked BEY and it only gives one option rather than three (which includes the very nice Cedar Lounge).
    Looks like it’s still worth considering depending on which airport/lounge you will have access to. If you find yourself at the airport and needing a lounge at short-notice, could be a good option to go online and buy a certificate.

• True, but it does have at least one not (yet?) available with PP.

Johannesburg has a recently opened Arrivals Lounge operated by Menzies – not the SAA lounge nor the old BA/VS/etc lounge. It’s on the mezzanine above Arrivals.

Not sure whether the cash price is more/less than the DT Dragonpass fee of £15, but it’s an option after 12 hours or so in the air.

9. Cheshire Pete says:

I didn’t get the etihad offer, was status matched earlier this year, so not flown or used it yet….

• Cheshire Pete says:

Now, on checking my account, all my communication preferences were set to Off! Damn…

• Ahh, good thinking – that’ll be why I didn’t receive it either! Will put them back on and hopefully they’ll do another offer in early 2016!

• James67 says:

Much as it pains me to do so, I have opted in to almost all marketing via email for my travel schemes and credit cards. By failing to do so we probably miss out on targeted offers. However, I do opt out for phone, sms and regular mail. Inconvenience can be avoided by using a dedicated email for this purpose to avoid m9re important email getting swamped with junk.

10. We have the Hilton offer from Miles and Smiles and Air Berlin and have a question.

Award stays count. Good. But does the new offer produce a New HHonors membership number, or can awards from an existing Gold account somehow qualify? Mrs Roger’s Gold expires in March 2016 and she wouldn’t otherwise qualify for Gold renewal.

Thanks.

• There is no indication that you can successfully use this on an existing Gold account to extend it. Not sure if you could book a room from one Hilton account and then, in the hotel, change the HH number on the booking.

• Colin JE says:

That’s disappointing. On the other hand do they ‘not open to existing Gold members’ anywhere?

The small print for the Airbrtlin offer doesn’t mention anything about the Gold upgrade, just the points, as far as I can see.

I’m Gold already and although I have two booked stays over the next three months I’d only book a third to get status extended. Any advice

• Richmond says:

Use link from airline and see if number or required stays to retain gold has change to 3. As in my other comment, I used link from Alitalia and it worked this way. From 6 required stays to retain Gold, it changed to 3 required stays.

• UPDATE: The SES’FIKILE (arrivals) lounge at JNB is now accessible via Priority Pass.

• Richmond says:

Similar offer from Alitalia worked for renewing Gold status so I assume other arilines offers are the same.

11. OT: Does anyone know why you cannot have 3 Heathrow Rewards cards at the same address. Just tried to change my daughter’s Uni address on her card back to our home address and it won’t let me as we already have accounts. Surely we can all have independent cards as independent travellers???

• You can’t have more than ONE card at the same address!

Easy way to fix it is to make the addresses 23, 23a, 23b etc.

• Or apply over the phone, they can manually override this – I got them to do this for my parents so they could both transfer out their expiring Emirates miles to Heathrow Rewards.

• Sandgrounder says:

I have added a full stop after the house number in the past and it worked.

12. Hi….would like some advice, travelling in September with EMirates, on way back have a 3 hr stay at Dubai Airport, was going to buy a dragon pass to a lounge T3…..its between the Marhaba lounges and Lounge at B? Has anyone used either and any feedback to help my decision, I understand from tripadvisor reviews that Marhaba lounge gets very busy at peak times and people said they had complimentary access but would not necessarily be happy to pay for it.

13. Arnaud Amiel says:

If one of you has a spare Hilton deal, I would be very glad to get it as I would be in one next weekend.
    If you can forward to my gmail, that would be great. My user name is aamiel

Thanks

14. Could you reg now get gold and then reg for air Berlin offer, in Nov?

15. OT: I recently had a 3 consecutive night stay in hilton (same hotel, same booking name). I booked it as 3 seperate stays as follows:
    Website-Kaligo-Website to take advantage of 5K BA miles offer. This has counted as 2 stays (1st and 3rd day ) with 2nd day as non qualifying.

• did you keep the same room for the three nights (I am doing the same in Sept)

• yes I was upgraded on first night and kept same room throughout. I did have to settle the bill each morning and get the key reprogrammed.

16. Bit OT any advice on accessing an airport lounge at Philadelphia Airport?

I only have Lounge Club membership which doesn’t have Philadelphia. I am flying with US Airways on an Avios ticket.

Thanks

• You could try the LoungeBuddy app, see what options they have for paid access. TBH at most lounges in the USA it’s not really worth paying – apart from a small number (Amex Centurion, AA Flagship, international carrier lounges) you get hardly anything to eat or drink. I’d probably just sit down and have something to eat/drink at a restaurant instead.

17. Re Dragon Pass – you also can get £15 access year round with Gourmet Society membership (you can buy GS annual membership for £10 value through (almost valueless!) Nectar points). I used that recently to get access for my daughter to the Plaza Premium lounge at Heathrow T4, which otherwise would have cost £35.

• Where can you see the lounge options on Gourmet Society site? I just can’t seem to see it.

I got GS membership through Lloyds current account.

Thanks

• Once you have logged into your GS account, look down the left hand side for “More offers”. Click through to 1st page and you will see “Up to 50% off Premium Airport Lounges Worldwide” near the bottom – follow link. Also on page 2 there is a way to access Travellers No 1, although I haven’t checked that out.

18. Oliver says:

So you don’t get a dragon pass card for free or anything? It’s just a link to the website to buy entries for £15

• Seems so, I edited article to reflect this. The teaser I saw was misleading.

• Colin JE says:

Looks that way. I bought the Telegraph today thinking I’d get free membership for a year but it just appears to be a way of getting reduced entry. The DragonLounge app is terrible and can only be used if you have a membership number. I presume this offer doesn’t generate one?
      Even worse, if you’ve bought an e-certificate it looks as though you could still get turned away at the door if the lounge is busy, in favour of guests who’ve booked.
      Think I’ll stick with my AirportAngel and occasional LoungeClub card courtesy of Amex, when I’ve got it, (which is also £15 entry) but at least you don’t have to pay before knowing if you can get in.
      I also notice that LoungeClub is owned by PriorityPass so hopefully the T5 Aspire lounge will be accessible to holders. Useful when my AirBerlin Oneworld Saphire expires.

• I was told by someone who should know that Lounge Club WOULD have access to the T5 lounge. I remain to be convinced, though, as it is a 2nd tier scheme which generally doesn’t get into the best lounges. That said, Collinson (who own LC and PP) are one of the joint owners of the lounge!

• Would love to know if LC is included as going to be in Heathrow for a few hours on Thursday. Do you think it’s worth giving them a call? Cheers

• Official opening was meant to be Monday, if they stick to it then it should be on the LC website.

• Sorry for any confusion in the original article Colin, which is now edited. I wrote it based on a preview of the deal which was not as clear as it could have been.

19. Kristian says:

Barclays current a/c
    insurance 1 month
    6 AA passes

20. At T5 tonight and the Aspire Lounge is open. Not too busy (but I would expect that on a Saturday). They accepted my PP no problem but did not have the stamp for my Lounge Miles card. Also the shower is not working yet

21. I think that the chances of Priority Pass being accepted in the new Aspire lounge at Terminal 5 is highly likely.

The new lounge is the result of a joint venture between Swissport and Collinson Group, owners of Priority Pass, so it would be highly unusual for them not to accept their own product in the new lounge!!

22. mikeact says:

According to the DragonPass web site, standard membership is £50 and £16 per voucher.
    However, what/where is the Waitrose bit all about ?

23. Wesley says:

I am going to be in Terminal 5 this Wednesday, and have a Lounge Club pass to use. I might give the new lounge a try, if I don’t get in does anyone recommend the other LoungeClub lounges at Heathrow? Are they worth travelling from Terminal 5 to?

24. Wally1976 says:

Any guesses on the next airline to do this Hilton Hhonors offer (so I can join their programme ahead of time)?? (Or if anyone has the offer and doesn’t need it, please send to my gmail account which has username walterspete! Thanks).

25. I’ve received a targed offer from Etihad to Enjoy an upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold plus earn up to quadruple miles.

Currently I’m already a Gold member with a status valid till March 2016. As per the received offer I would after three stays get the status until March 2017. Does it also count for members that are already Gold? I couldn’t find it in the T&Cs.