I wrote a piece recently about Starwood’s attempts to resurrect the Sheraton brand. Whilst there are some stunning Sheraton properties in Asia and the Middle East, the brand is desperately ‘tired’ in North America and parts of Europe.
Part of this new strategy is the launch of a new brand – ‘Sheraton Grand’. This will contain Sheraton properties which are genuinely world class in terms of design and service.
What is interesting is that Starwood is promising 100 ‘Sheraton Grand’ hotels by 2017. Given that they still have 90 to go, this is going to require a combination of aggressive high-specification new builds or top-to-toe refurbishments of existing hotels.
Here are the first batch of 10 Sheraton Grand hotels. If you stay at one of these, you should be in line for a good stay. I thought that the new Bucharest hotel which just opened may be on the list, but it isn’t – this is a bit worrying if even brand new properties don’t make the grade.
It is not surprising that NONE of these hotels are in North America and only one (Edinburgh) is in Europe.
All of the text below is from a Starwood press release – the opinions are NOT mine!
- Sheraton Grand Bangalore Hotel – Brigade Gateway—Situated in a landscaped 40-acre neighbourhood in India’s IT capital, the property features a luxurious infinity pool, panoramic views of the adjacent Brigade Lake, and stately guestrooms that blend sophisticated earth tones with plush fabrics.
- Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel —in the heart of Beijing’s business district, the hotel offers impressive culinary experiences, an array of spectacular function space totalling more than 25,000 square feet, commanding views of the famous Bird’s Nest and Water Cube stadiums, and easy access to historical attractions, such as the Great Wall.
- Sheraton Grand Hotel Dubai (pictured above) —a 54-story beacon on the city’s popular Sheikh Zayed Road, the first Sheraton new-build in Dubai in more than 30 years features a rooftop pool, a spa spanning more than 10,000 square feet with stylish treatment facilities, a glamorous ballroom sitting beneath striking chandeliers, and refined guestrooms with stunning views of the city’s landmarks.
- Sheraton Grand Edinburgh Hotel – with an enviable city-centre location, the hotel has dramatic views of Edinburgh castle, and is home to an award-winning spa with a lavish infinity pool, as well as a vibrant restaurant serving an inventive menu of British dishes and drinks, including more than 60 premium varieties of gin.
- Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort — the only beach-front hotel in Rio de Janeiro, the resort features stunning views of the city’s towering mountains, landmarks and tropical surf, and boasts an extensive spa with ocean views, fully remodelled guestrooms and suites, and a variety of dining options, including the award-winning L’etoile, overseen by renowned French chef Jean Paul Bondoux.
- Sheraton Grande Ocean Resort — the award-winning golf resort boasts panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean; 10 restaurants and bars offering guests a variety of dining experiences, including Tatsuya Kawagoe Miyazaki operated by celebrity chef Tatsuya; a dual-personality cocktail bar that shifts décor from morning to night; and a chic full-service spa.
- Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit — an iconic address in the heart of Bangkok, this majestic hotel features a wide variety of exquisite suites surrounded by tropical gardens, award-winning restaurants, a rejuvenating spa that serves as a sanctuary of stillness and a dramatic free-form pool nestled by lush gardens.
- Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel — a cultural oasis in the heart of Taipei that offers magnificent restaurants catering to all palates, more than 25,000 square feet of unparalleled function space, and outstanding recreational facilities that include a squash court, modern fitness centre, palatial massage parlour, and a reinvigorating sauna.
- Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel — an official hotel of Tokyo Disney Resort®, the property boasts lush on-site gardens, scenic waterfront vistas and soothing waterfalls in the heart of Japan’s capital, making itself the perfect family getaway with use of hydroponic farming to produce unforgettable meals, and onsite gardens inclusive of premium sports and arcade facilities such as Treasures! Island and Namco Land Game Arcade.
- Sheraton Grande Walkerhill — designed to highlight the natural surroundings of the Han River and forest paths sheltered by Acha Mountain, the property offers a glittering casino, three floors of world-class luxury shopping and a seasonal camping area where guests can barbeque.
How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points and status from UK credit cards (June 2022)
There are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses.
The official Marriott Bonvoy American Express card comes with 20,000 points for signing up, 2 points for every £1 you spend and 15 elite night credits per year.
You can apply here.
You can also earn Marriott Bonvoy points by converting American Express Membership Rewards points at the rate of 2:3.
Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card? It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold and MeliaRewards Gold status. We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here and you can apply here.
You can also earn Marriott Bonvoy points indirectly:
- American Express Gold (30,000 bonus Amex points – SPECIAL OFFER TO 19TH JULY)
- American Express Rewards Credit Card (5,000 bonus Amex points)
and for small business owners:
- American Express Business Gold (20,000 bonus Amex points)
- American Express Business Platinum (40,000 bonus Amex points)
The conversion rate from American Express to Marriott Bonvoy points is 2:3.
(Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)