BA

£996 London to Bangkok in 787 Business on Royal Jordanian – earns 560 BA tier points

Royal Jordanian is not an airline I discuss much on Head for Points.  However, it is a member of the oneworld alliance which means you can redeem and earn British Airways Avios points and tier points with it.

RJ has just launched a great fare to Bangkok in Business Class.  It is not quite as good as some of the Qatar Airways fares we have seen recently, but this flight departs from London and does not require a side trip to Europe!

The fare is £996 return from London to Bangkok, changing in Amman.

You will earn 560 British Airways tier points for the trip according to the ba.com tier point calculator.  That is over 90% of the way to a British Airways Executive Club Silver card, although don’t forget that Silver also requires you to have taken four British Airways flights as well as earning 600 points.

Royal Jordanian is flying new Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft on both legs of this trip.  Their 787 Business Class is fully flat and looks decent as you can see below:

Royal Jordanian Boeing 787 business class

The airline is not dry on long haul routes, before anyone asks – only on intra-Middle East routes as I understand it.

Here are the fare rules:

Book between 8th October and 31st October

Travel between 15th October and 20th March 2016

No outbound travel between 15th December and 27th December

No inbound travel between 2nd January and 10th January

No stopovers are allowed

Cancellation is allowed for a US$300 fee – something you rarely see on cheap fares like this

The fare is not available every date, but the Royal Jordanian website allows you to search via a calendar grid which clearly shows the days it is there.  You can book via the RJ website here.

(Want to earn more Avios?  Click here to visit our home page for the latest articles on earning and spending your points and click here to see our list of current Avios promotions.)

Transfer your Shell Drivers Club points to another person (and onto Avios) for free
Save 40% on Avios flights from the UK to Madrid

Comments

1. Shaun L says:

Hi Raffles. Do you know what fare class these book into and do you definitely get tier points. Seen a few posts on flyer talk around their cheapest business flights not giving tier points.

2. Some of the stopovers are 6 hours+ so what is the lounge like at Amman (and LHR for that matter)?

3. Redkitty says:

Hi HFP, do you know if I was to book a separate MH flight from BKK to KUL for the same day, how the check in luggage would work? Would I have to collect my luggage at BKK and re-check in again? The price for biz on 787 is very attractive and would shave off quite a bit for me but I do check in luggage and wanted to check of RJ has some interline agreement to check to final destination even with two PNRs. Thanks.

• Raffles has mentioned this in replies a few times. Some airlines may do it, ex USA, but dealing with any ME flight is tricky enough. It’s always worth asking,..,but general opinion on this site is usually a NO. So give it a go, but make sure you have enough time to collect bags and re check in. Can be especially chaotic in BKK too.

• Redkitty says:

Thanks, Would 4 hours be enough to collect bags and re check in for BKK airport? Or will I need more time?

• 4 hours would be plenty of time, annoyingly IIRC RJ and MAS fly out from the same gate area. You would have a lot of walking to do.

There is also an Ethiopian flight that does BKK to KUL, only reason i know this was when in a rush i read the gates wrong and went for this instead of the MAS flight.

• James67 says:

I might be missing something Redkitty but why not book the same RJ flight from BKK to KUL instead of MAS? Be warned, MAS have reportedly been cancelling flights to BKK at will. Unless you are in a hurry to get to KL, I cannot think of much better places to spend a night than Bangkok

• RJ & MAS are both on Oneworld Alliance, you should be able to get both of your boarding passes at LHR and have your checked bag check through to the final destination without any issue.
      However, some agent may not be aware of this, you may have to remind them they are both on the same alliance and you also need to provide them your MAS booking number.

• I asked exactly the same question just today re change of flights at BKK. Routing was LHR-HEL-BKK on Finnair (AY) then BKK- HKG a few hours later on CX – (don’t ask – there is a logical reason for this!). These flights on 2 separate bookings/PNRs.

I asked the AY London office if I could check hold luggage from LHR to HKG. The answer was providing oneworld flights (which they are) and less than 24 hrs in BKK (which it will be) then should be OK! Like you I want to avoid exiting In BKK (visa required?) just to recheck in straight away on CX with my luggage!

• Within OneWorld it should be no problem. I even did it with OneWorld and Star Alliance bookings in the opposite direction. Three years ago I checked my bags all the way from Phuket to Amsterdam. From HKT-HKG on TG in J-class, then 3 hours later continuing from HKG to AMS via LHR on BA in Y-class, no problem to check the bags all the way from HKT to AMS. We only had to collect boarding passes for the OneWorld portion at the transfer desk in HKG but I’m sure this will be the same when connecting in BKK.
        And guess what, our bags came out first off our BA-flight in AMS, still carrying the Star Alliance priority tags despite the biggest part of the trip on BA in Y where I had no status at that time.

4. I’ll be booking this for Feb! Thanks raffles.
    Shame the jump from silver to gold is so steep! Would be nice to reach gold once in my life at least

5. I can’t get this to price in Feb. In fact it just comes up with an error and doesn’t give any results. Anyone else?

6. firemin says:

Looking at this fare as a back to back style tp run with hand baggage only, arriving 15:25 in bkk and departing 00:55 the following day – could I conceivably just got to flight connections rather than exit through customs/immigration and then go back through security etc (I know it’d be a long time in the airport!)?

• Why not. Make a holiday of it?

• Firemin says:

Unfortunately family and work commitments mean I don’t have the spare time. I have been looking for an opportunity to earn some TPs without having to spend a weekend away from home and this fare doesn’t seem to have a minimum stay / Saturday night requirement that most of the decent fares have.

7. Chris Pye says:

Thanks to Rimas & Raffles for this. Booked 2 returns in mid March for £997 yesterday. Only appears to be an A330 on the LHR-AMM legs but as AMM-BKK is at night both ways we get the flat beds when we most need them. RJ seem to have mixed reviews for Economy but generally fine in Business. Only 4 BA sectors and another Silver year sorted!