Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Hilton HHonors launches Spring promotion – unlikely to worry IHG!

Hilton HHonors has launched its Spring promotion.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with it, especially when you look at what is available from many of its competitors, it does rub in how exceptionally generous (for many people) the second version of IHG’s Accelerate promotion is.

Hilton has chosen to give another outing to one of its favourite promotions, called ‘Double Your HHonors’.  You can find details of the promotion, and register, here.

However, do not register without thinking first, as the promotion requires you to make a choice.

The promotion will run from 1st January to 30th April.

Hilton Helsinki Airport

Under ‘Double Your HHonors’, you can choose either:

double Hilton HHonors base points

or

double airline miles

You must select one option, and it cannot be changed later.

If you choose double points and set your Hilton earning preferences to ‘Points and Points’, you will be earning 25 base points per $1 spent.  This is before any elite bonus.

If you choose double miles and set your Hilton earning preference to ‘Points and Miles’, you be earning 10 base points per $1 plus 2 airline miles per $1.

Remember that Hilton and Avios is ‘a bit weird’:

If you credit to British Airways then, as I mentioned above, you earn 1 airline mile per $1 which is doubled under this offer to 2 per $1.

If you credit to Iberia Plus, you earn 15 airline miles per $10 which is doubled under this offer to 30 per $10.  There is a cap of 1,000 miles per stay, however.  This makes crediting stays to Iberia Plus 50% more valuable but only if you will be spending under $500.

You can read more about the discrepancy between BA and Iberia earning with Hilton in this article.

I tend to value Hilton HHonors points at £3 per 1,000 and airline miles at 0.75p (both very conservative numbers).  On that basis, taking ‘double points’ would earn me (25 x 300/1000 =) 7.5p per $1 spent.  Taking ‘double miles’ in British Airways would earn me 4.5p per $1 spent.

There are no excluded hotels – every Hilton Family property is taking part.  The chain has intimated that this will be standard practice going forward.  This is something I fully support, having once been caught out unexpectedly and missing a bonus because of it.

You can register and make your ‘double points’ or ‘double miles’ choice here.

PS.  Remember that Hilton is still matching other hotel status cards!  I am now a Hilton Diamond until March 2017 thanks to my Accor Platinum status.  More details in this article.

(Want to earn more hotel points?  Click here to see  our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Promos’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Comments (38)

• Metatone says:

Where do IHG people stay in London for mid-market prices?
    i.e. Not Intercontinental.

I’ve ended up with Hilton by default because one of my old regular business trips in the US was naturally placed for a Hilton. Seems that trip is going to become less regular, but my other main earner has been London. Everyone seems to agree that IHG is more rewarding – anyone got recommends for IHG mid-market London hotels?

• Rob says:

Depends what you call mid-market.

Holiday Inn Mayfair needs a refurb but rooms are big and location is amazing. Crowne Plaza City highly recommended. Indigo Earls Court and Paddington have fans but I find the rooms small. Haven’t tried the Staybridge Suites in Vauxhall. Crowne Plaza Battersea (at the heliport) is meant to be plush post refurbishment. Holiday Inn Commercial Road meant to good (very new) and usually well priced.

• Nick says:

As I’ve posted here before, The Crowne Plaza City is a no brainer for me. Their front of house service is impeccable and all the staff are great! it’s rarely that I’ll say that for any hotel in the world. If you book it right you will also receive some very good deals.

• Rob says:

Indeed. I have now stopped mentioning the 10% off discount codes on HFP for that very reason.

• scollector says:

You might want to check out this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains/1714587-hotels-com-welcome-rewards.html

Personally, I always go for the hotels.com option because I don’t like to limit myself to one particular chain. Strangely enough I often find it cheaper to book through hotels.com than booking directly through the hotel’s website (I mostly travel for my personal pleasure and hence I need to pinch the

• Boi says:

I dont know if this has been answered before…..Is there a way to check the cheapest date/town for a mattress run with IHG? it doesnt matter what town/ date as long as it is in Yorkshire….I commute from leeds to Sheffield and I can stop along the way…

• Rob says:

For a specific night, extend the search radius to 50 miles or whatever.

You cannot check across multiple dates in one search.

• Kipto says:

We used to using a tool you had rob. That is badly missed.

• Andrew says:

Well you kind of can, but a little clumsy. So say you want to find the cheapest nights(s) in Jan – to meet your Jan Accelerate 2 target. Put 1 Jan as check in, 31 Jan as checkout. Extend radius to 50 miles or whatever it allows to cover all of Yorkshire. [Note: Returned results will only include hotels with availability for every night in Jan] Sort hotels by average nightly rate, and for the cheapest few, click one step further to view rates by room type. Below the average rates by room type you can click to view rate details (or similar), which will show you every individual nightly rate in the period. Eyeball for cheapest night(s).

• Joe says:

Guys, is it me or Iberia gone missing from the HH reward options?

• Rob says:

Iberia is odd. You CANNOT transfer chunks of existing points to Iberia, no idea why. You can only have points sent over on a stay by stay basis.

infinii compensation plan