Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Excellent SriLankan business deals from Paris to Asia (earn Avios and BA tier points!)

SriLankan Airlines joined the oneworld alliance in May 2014.  From that time it has been possible to earn Avios and British Airways tier points when you fly with them, and to redeem your Avios for flights to Colombo and beyond.

I haven’t covered the airline much on Head for Points because the route network is limited and it was not aggressively priced.

SriLankan seems to have taken a lesson on pricing from Qatar Airways, however.  It is currently selling some very attractive business class fares from Paris:

Paris to Tokyo (via Colombo) – €1,074 return (£811)

Paris to Hong Kong (via Colombo) – €1,035 return (£781)

Paris to Singapore (via Colombo) – €1,035 return (£781)

Paris to Shanghai (via Colombo) – €1,026 return (£775)

Other destinations may also be available.  Keep an eye on the connection times as you could be stuck with a long stopover in Colombo.

Flights from London are available for around £300 more and from Frankfurt for around £150 more.

The SriLankan website is here.

The Paris flights are on new Airbus A330-300 aircraft.  This would appear to get you a Virgin / Cathay style herringbone 1-2-1 layout with a fully flat bed, presumably this:

SriLankan business class

…. which seems more than acceptable!  Looks like SriLankan is another one for the ‘better business class than British Airways’ list …..

You need to book before 29th January for travel before 30th June.  A five day minimum stay is required.

As I wrote in this article, Opodo has some ‘flight only’ discount codes at the moment which in theory you could use in conjunction with these fares.  In my tests yesterday, however, I could not get Opodo to match the fares showing on the SriLankan website.

Note that, for tier point purposes, Singapore only earns 360 points return (140 + 40 + 140 + 40) because the 2nd flight is under 2,000 miles.  Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai should earn 560 points return (140 x 4).

(Want to earn more hotel points?  Click here to see  our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Promos’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Comments (46)

• Jas Gill says:

Completely Off-topic

Just received an offer of 12000 avois with a years’ subscription to the Econimist.

• Tilly71 says:

Slight OT – when booking a redemption flight say 355 days from the booking date, does your passport have to be still in date on the date of the flight or just valid still on the date of booking.
    My passport expires in 8 months time but looking to redeem flights 355 days out.

• harry says:

No need to give passport details T-355

• Alan says:

Just need to be valid when you fly – also remember some countries require 3 mo remaining validity when you enter, some need 6 mo. Remember up to 9 mo of unexpired time remaining on your existing passport will be added to the new one so if you don’t have any upcoming travel you might be worth doing this sooner rather than later.

• TheCat-DogGirl says:

My boyfriend and I flew SriLankan Airlines back from Bangkok, via Colombo, in early January, and barring a couple of odd service quirks, thought their business class was excellent. A couple of things to be aware of – our airmiles still have not posted to the Executive Club, and when I submitted a claim, I was told they’d already been allocated. Probably not a feature of the SriLankan/EC interface (and having seen one of the comments above, maybe I just need to be patient) but I hope it doesn’t turn into a saga .. Secondly, the e-ticket T&Cs say that you need to present the credit card used for payment, upon check in. I’ve often seen this on e-tickets, but this time they actually mean it! I didn’t have the card, as I had, like a good HfP reader, used a gold amex charge card to pay for the tickets and had subsequently cancelled it before the second year charge kicked in. I still don’t know why they needed the credit card, but it took three members of staff 20 minutes to sort it out in Bangkok airport – although sort it out they did; a credit to their good service.

• Julie K says:

A bit off topic but looking to book business class flights for cash from lhr or DUB to Honolulu. Am I better booking as soon as they go on sale for 2017 or waiting until next Jan and hoping for a sale? TIA for any advice

• Rob says:

This should, given recent history, be bookable for £1,000ish return ex Dublin or ex Europe somewhere else in the right sale.