News in brief:
Another Lloyds / Avios horror story
Long-time HfP readers will know that I have softened my stance on the Lloyds Avios Rewards credit cards over the years. This is partly because readers convinced me that, despite the appalling Lloyds customer service, the upgrade voucher and lack of FX fees was worth it. It is also partly because the Avios changes in 2015 made the upgrade voucher more valuable because the price gap between Club World and World Traveller Plus doubled.
Every so often, though, I am reminded what a shambles Lloyds is. A HfP reader applied for the Lloyds Avios Rewards card in January and has not yet received one single Avios point in his account. This is the timeline:
- Reader opens a Lloyds Avios Rewards card in January 2016
- Card received, spending begins
- Checks Avios account a few weeks later, nothing there
- Ring Lloyds which has opened a 2nd Avios account by mistake – but that is also empty
- Avios merge the two accounts
- A month later – still no Avios
- Phones Lloyds, they get in touch with Avios – ‘they are sorting it out’
- Phones again – Lloyds promise it will be resolved by 31st May
- Deadline passed
- Lloyds suggests the reader registers a formal complaint against them (!) – which the reader does
- Receives an email from Lloyds asking the reader call them on a secure direct line to discuss the complaint. The email says ‘to prove that this email is genuine, here are the first four digits of your post code’. The four digits given are completely wrong.
- Reader is awarded £200 compensation from Lloyds, but still no Avios
- July – Lloyds gives a solemn promise in writing that the Avios will be sent over within six weeks
- Six weeks later (this week) – “Due to unforeseen circumstances we’ve not been able to deliver on our commitment of four to six weeks to resolve the issues we have been experiencing regarding Avios points. We are however monitoring this on a regular basis and will be in touch with you as soon as the issue has been resolved.”
The reader has spent £10,000 on the card so far and has not received a single point. It beggers belief how difficult it can be to actually send the points to an Avios account ……
Spam Avios emails doing the rounds
I suppose it says something about the popularity of the Avios scheme that spammers now feel it worth promoting.
A reader sent me over the following email that she received from “British Airways Promo #417719”:
Congratulations! You won a 10,000 miles British Airways gift card.
A gift card has a value that you can use in full or part payment of a flight booking with British Airways.
In order to claim your gift card, or it’s equivalent value in GBP (399 GBP), simply click the link below and register into our Customer Relationship Management program.
British Airways Customer Service
Obviously there are clear clues here that this is spam – primarily the idea that 10,000 Avios would be worth £399 …..
How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (March 2021)
As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses.
Until 9th April 2021, American Express is running the biggest sign-up bonuses ever seen on a UK payment card.
You will earn 100,000 Membership Rewards points on American Express Business Platinum (apply here) and 50,000 Membership Rewards points on American Express Business Gold (apply here) which is FREE for your first year. Points transfer 1:1 into Avios. Here are links to our reviews:
Here are your other options. There are two official British Airways American Express cards:
You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points, such as:
Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.
If you have a small business, we especially recommend Capital On Cap’s Visa card which comes with a generous bonus worth 10,500 Avios:
(Want to earn more Avios? Click here to visit our home page for our latest articles on earning and spending your Avios points and click here to see how to earn more Avios this month from offers and promotions.)