Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

EXCLUSIVE: Earn 250 Avios when dining at local restaurants from 1st October

Avios is gearing up for the launch of a new feature on 1st October – a new restaurant-booking portal called Restaurant Circle which will give you 250 Avios points with every table booked.

The system is being run by ResDiary which handles bookings for 5,900 independent restaurants.  It will be branded as Avios or British Airways Executive Club depending on which site you visit from.

The economics is interesting:

Not all 5,900 restaurants who use ResDiary will offer Avios.  It will be restricted to those who pay a £25 per month listing fee.  This fee is chunky when you consider that restaurants can pay as little as £49 per month to ResDiary for a fully functioning online booking platform.

The restaurant will pay Avios £3 per booking in return for awarding 250 Avios points to the booker

Different restaurants may appear on the Avios and BA-branded sites

‘Earning whilst dining’ programmes have been very successful in other countries but have never taken off in the UK.  The attraction for the restaurant is fairly clear:

The ability to attract extra customers to a business which has high fixed costs but low marginal costs

May attract additional business customers who are often less price sensitive than the general public

May attract a wealthier client base, given the British Airways Executive Club demographic

I don’t know if there will be any special launch offers available or not.  More details on Restaurant Circle should become available nearer 1st October.

Comments (35)

• Rob says:

Why? All that would happen is that Curve would take your cash and buy Avios from IAG for 1p, or probably a bit more than 1p, each.

As you can struggle to get more than 1p of value from them, you shouldn’t complain about getting cash which is more flexible. Feel free to use your Curve Rewards cash to book a BA flight for cash, with no availability issues!

• Andrew says:

I wasn’t complaining, I was thinking long term if the amex rate drops and the visa gets worse due to interchange fees etc. It may be a option if they did bonus transfers etc or maybe, I am thinking hopefully. Reading the blog it does say that you can’t use the rewards as a part payment yet, if the amount of rewards doesn’t cover the purchase amount it declines the payment. Their scheme looks interesting, it will be good to watch it evolve.

• Johnnycl says:

Not sure how they’ll be able to manage authorising transactions below the reward balance when using contactless. I guess it will revert to the next saved card for the balance but it will be interesting to test this.

• Nick says:

Sorry, O:T, is anyone still waiting for their £20 credit to their moneycorp account?

• flyforfun says:

American Airlines used to (or maybe still does) have the iDine program that gave your points just for using your card at the eating establishment. You needed to register a card with iDine and you automatically got the points when you used it at the place – no need to book.

I used it a few times signing up my UK card when on holidays there and racked up a [email protected] of miles at places I wouldn’t expect to have offered miles. Given the points were on spend as well, it was very generous, sometimes like 5 points per $ spent.

Alas, when I went to register my next card, they seemed to have twigged it wasn’t a US card or that the address I was using was a hotel. If it does exist I’ll see if I can get a pre-paid mastercard or similar in the US and see if that works!

• Daniel says:

Make sure with the Idine thing that you live in Beverly hills..90210.. that’s the trick…

• Roger* says:

Thanks for the Idine update, flyfor fun. i just checked my details and they are still valid. (My address ends in 00000.) Last used in 2015. The credit card number, used for logging award details, doesn’t need an expiry date as Idine don’t take payment. If people are already registered and use the same credit card for restaurant payment, they’re all set.

Idine also operate several other miles-earning schemes via rewardsnetwork.com: Alaska, American, Delta, jetblue, Southwest, Spirit and United.