Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Sunday Times Travel Magazine changes the rules on its 4,500 Avios promo

Two weeks ago I wrote that The Sunday Times Travel Magazine had rolled over its generous offer of 4,500 Avios points for taking out a £30 subscription.  It was extended to 3rd February 2017.

That is still the case.  However, the magazine has now changed the rules.

The original deal offered 4,500 Avios for a £30 one year subscription to The Sunday Times Travel Magazine.  This was a fantastic deal even if the didn’t want the magazine – although you would have found a lot in it worth reading.

The revised offer is less attractive.

Sunday Times Travel

You now receive:

4,500 Avios with a two year, £60, subscription

1,000 Avios with a one year, £30, subscription

On this basis, it becomes a ‘good’ deal rather than a ‘no brainer’ deal.

You can sign up here.

The offer does NOT show immediately.  You need to enter AVIOSIM or AVIOSPP2 in the ‘Promotional Code’ box and hit ‘Submit’.  The page will refresh and the revised deal will show.

(EDIT: At the moment, the site is refusing to accept the codes.  However, the codes above are correct – the latter code can be verified here.  Keep on trying until it works or call 01795 414827 instead.)

YOU MUST CLICK SUBMIT so the page reloads. If you don’t, you will NOT get the Avios as you will be signing up to the standard package.

If you do not see a box during the check-out process asking for your Avios or BAEC account number, you should assume that it has gone wrong and will not work.  Try again using a different browser or device.

At 4,500 Avios for a £60 spend, you are paying 1.33p per Avios point.  This isn’t a terrible deal when you add in the value of the two years-worth of magazines as well.  It just isn’t the steal it used to be.

Comments (39)

• Jayne says:

The October issue states 4500points for a 12month subscription – I tried the code today and it doesnt work, they told me it is no longer valid – but surely this isnt allowed if they are advertising it? Nothing in the T&C’s to suggest it can be removed at any time?

• Rob says:

The October issue is the one sold in September though. The one in the shops now is the November issue which does mention the new offer – I walked down to WH Smith yesterday lunchtime to check it out!

• Denis says:

OT: Convert Skywards Miles to Heathrow Rewards for 50% extra points before 31 Dec.

• Damien says:

Like most others here, signed up 22nd August and had 4,500 Avios credited 16th September. Great offer and no issues claiming. Magazine is pretty good too!

• Johnny5a says:

You guys are lucky, they can’t find my subscription despite getting the confirmation email.

• Johnny5a says:

after many emails – they’ve said the order isn’t on the system despite an email confirmation

• Chris says:

Just received an email from the ST stating that my order, using the 4,500 code, made on 12 Oct, has been cancelled by them. The offer had already been withdrawn they say.

• Sharon says:

This offer is closed, I was informed today

• Dave says:

What is the process for appealing? I signed up at the beginning of september and still do not have the points, I entered the code and it clearly stated i was getting points on the screen

• Ben Mc says:

I subscribed on 19 September for the 4,500 Avios to my BA Exec Club account for one year’s subscription offer.

I’ve contacted Sunday Times Travel 4 times and BA once (who contacted Sunday Times Travel for me). STT has confirmed to me on several occasions that the code I used was valid and that I subscribed in time.

Today I was told by STT that BA had basically not allocated sufficient funds to cover the Avios needed for the high volume of people who had subscribed. However they do intend to honour those subscriptions and that points will be allocated to us on Friday (4 November). Fingers crossed!