Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: more luggage on BA via a travel agent?, Qatar launching Dublin flights

News in brief:

BA offering bigger baggage allowances via some travel agents

A HFP reader who travels to India on a regular basis dropped me a note with an interesting observation.

The current free luggage allowance for long-haul World Traveller (economy) tickets is 1 x 23kg suitcase.

….. if you book via ba.com.

It seems, in order to avoid losing business from people who decide to compare prices and terms first, British Airways is quietly offering better deals via some travel agents.

ticketstoindia.co.uk states clearly on its home page that it has negotiated better luggage deals with some airlines.  Price up a BA economy ticket and you will see that you are offered 2 x 23kg suitcases for free rather than just one.  Lycafly apparently operates the same way, as does Southall Travel.  Something to bear in mind if you often find yourself in World Traveller and paying for an extra suitcase.

Avios Suitcase

Qatar Airways to launch flights from Dublin

According to reports in the Irish press, Qatar Airways is gearing up to launch flights from Dublin to Doha next May.

This timetable is not firm as it relies on deliveries of Qatar’s troubled A350 order from Airbus.  These aircraft are required in order to free up a Boeing 787 for the Dublin route.

Dublin to Doha would be an attractive Avios redemption for many people who could hop over to Dublin to avoid Air Passenger Duty on a redemption from the UK.

Comments (55)

• xcalx says:

OT Nice to see the Shop small is back from the 3rd to 18th of December. Some new ones around me.

• Scallder says:

OT – Starwood are offering discounts of up to 50% on SPG points purchases. Obviously the £ taking a beating recently doesn’t help, but whilst I was offered 2% off my wife got the full 50% off. I’ve never bought SPG points before, but from the T&Cs it seems to say that an account can only receive 30k points per year, and if you gift points which go over the 30k, then they can’t be redeemed until the next calendar year.

So with the offer being on until 31st December, could I near the end of December buy 30k on her account, get her to gift me 30k for this year, and get her to gift me another 30k which I can claim on 1st Jan? That would be 90k Starpoints for c£1,300 which I know I could definitely get some decent value out of (either through Starwood or converting to Marriott). If anyone could advise, it would be greatly appreciated!

• Rob says:

Not clear, to me, if the 30k is joint ‘buy’ and ‘gift’ or not.

Is a good deal and I am tempted for Lüfthansa miles at 1p.

• Scallder says:

Ok thanks Rob – will perhaps have a play nearer the end of December to see if I can get it to work.

My discount should have read 25%, not 2%!

• TGLoyalty says:

Also got the 50% off will wait til closer to 31st Dec to pull the trigger, maybe the vote will help us vs the $ a little

• Chris says:

Anyone have any tips for hunting down the best QR prices? I’m potentially very flexible of where I could fly to and from but using QR 15 day calendar is extremely laborious

• Sussex Bantam says:

OT – has anyone seen the bonus points from PayQwiq ?

• James67 says:

Clearly you made right choice if TP key, and I think the overnight or longer break is what makes exEU more worthwhile. Enjoy.

• Scallder says:

Apparently IAG to be offering wifi on short haul: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37848554

From the article: “The company told the BBC it would be the responsibility of each airline brand to decide whether to charge passengers an access fee.”

So that will be a big fat yes for BA…