Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get 30,000 Avios for £300 – if you know someone in Ireland

Here we go – the first generous Avios promotion out of Ireland since AerClub was launched as the new Aer Lingus Avios-based frequent flyer scheme.

You don’t need to be based in Ireland to join AerClub.  In fact, if you have an avios.com account, you are already half-way to being a member since your avios.com account number will become your AerClub account number.  You can register for AerClub via this page.

What is the deal?

You will earn 30,000 Avios points when you take out a subscription to the Irish Independent or Sunday Independent newspapers for €349 (£300).

These are not digital subscriptions.  These are ‘we will push the newspapers through your letterbox’ subscriptions, which is why you need a friend or relative in Ireland – assuming you live outside the country – who would appreciate a free newspaper.

There are two options, both priced at €349:

Irish Independent and Sunday Independent, delivered daily for six months plus access to the digital edition, or

Saturday’s Irish Independent and Sunday Independent delivered weekly for 12 months plus access to the 7-day digital edition

You can sign up via this website here.

Sunday Independent

You will need to cancel your subscription before it expires, otherwise it will roll over at a monthly cost of €59 (7-day package) or €29 (weekend package).

Is 1p per Avios a good deal?

It isn’t a steal, clearly.  You need to have a clear strategy for how you would use them.

This is my general ‘what is an Avios point worth?’ article which I really should update and re-run.

1p per point is too much for me to pay to add them to a fairly large existing pile.  If, on the other hand, you are not Avios rich and need to earn x,000 Avios per year to use your BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher then this could make sense.

The offer runs until 31st March.

Comments (57)

• rams1981 says:

OT was it mentioned on here that amex points can be transferred to say your wife if you cancel the card?

• Rob says:

On paper they can because they forgot to remove the line in the T&C’s which allows it. In practice it is very difficult to get the call centre to do it and often involves making a written complaint.

• Simon Fisher says:

I have given up all hope of AerClub since (during the sign up process) it mixed my account and my wife’s! Still not sure how it did it, but my login shows my Avios Balance and her name and Avios account number. I have called, emailed and tweeted to get help, but to no avail!!!

Rob, as you state no point in getting overheated over 250 Avios, but they should be told. If a couple of dozen people here have had issues, how many more are sat quietly ignoring AerClub.

• Phil says:

Apologies – This is OT, but not sure how to post on an open forum on here.

With the AMEX Pref Rewards gold card, there is 2x free entry to a lounge p.a.

Can I bring a guest on both occasions for free? Or will both complimentary be used up by me + guest?

Thanks

• Peter K says:

You plus a guest on one occasion equals two entries.
      You plus a guest on two occasions equals four entries and a fee being charged.

• Leo says:

Regarding posting. If there is an article with “Bits” in the title – it’s sort of convention to post an OT comment on that thread. There isn’t one today however so you just do exactly what you have done.

• graham says:

OT – my daughter is stuck in Narita waiting on a Quantas flight which was due out 8 hours ago.She booked the flight via BA using avios – is the flight covered under EU compo rules? Also has anyone used a day hotel in Narita?? thanks

• Roger says:

OT- SPG to AA conversion Bonus?

This bonus offer last ran during August 2016 which offered 20% bonus, any ideas if such bonus is coming over next couple of months?

• Londonbus says:

I’m half Irish. My retired uncle would appreciate this – but I wouldn’t t at 1p per Avios..

• TGLoyalty says:

The real value is if you or your family are actually a reader and would welcome a free gift or subsidised sub. Maybe the papers worth £50 so you bought the avios for £250 etc guess that’s where it works for you or not.

Economist doesn’t make sense on its own for just the avios but if you read and sub to the Economist anyway you’re laughing.