BA sale

Bits: Hilton / Amex cashback, bonus Avios with stationery, Avios debit card now available again

News in brief:

Hilton / Amex cashback deal now open to all Amex cards

American Express has been running a cashback deal recently with selected Hilton Group hotels across the UK and Europe.

You receive a £50 statement credit when you spend £250.  Whilst it is not stated in the rules, the spend appears to be cumulative and does not need to be hit in one stay.

The offer has now appeared on the Amex Connect website – click here.  This means that any personal American Express card can be registered even if it is issued by MBNA, Barclays or Lloyds.

You need to stay (or have a prepaid booking charged to your card) by 8th May.  Don’t forget to register and remember to check the list of participating hotels before you stay.

Thanks to Dan.

HILTON PARIS OPERA

2,400 Avios or 2,500 Virgin miles with £70 of stationery

Tesco Direct has launched a new style of promotional deal – with stationery.  Until 27th April, if you spend £70 on these stationery items at Tesco Direct you will receive 1,000 bonus Clubcard points.  These transfer into 2,400 Avios or 2,500 Virgin miles.

You can learn more in this Shopper Points article.

Post It Notes

Only Avios-earning debit card now available again

Tesco Bank has reopened its current account to new applications.  It recently relaunched with an exceptionally generous deal but, swamped by applicants, it was withdrawn and the criteria tightened.

You receive:

a debit card which earns 0.3 Avios per £1 spent (you actually get 1 Clubcard point per £8 spent which gets you 2.4 Avios per £8 spent, note that you need to spend at least £8 per transaction to earn any points from it)

you will earn 3% credit interest on up to £3000, guaranteed until April 2019

your debit card will earn 1 Clubcard point for every £1 you spend on it in Tesco – this is a very generous 2.4 Avios or 2.5 Virgin miles – and this rate is guaranteed until April 2019

There are new rules on opening an account:

you must set up 3 direct debits

you must pay in £750 per month

If you make a lot of debit card payments or spend a lot in Tesco – or just want to earn an easy £90 per year in interest on £3000 of your savings – this is worth a look.  You can apply here.  Thanks to Taran.

What is the best hotel scheme? - IHG Rewards Club - The Opinion
My review of Etihad's A380 First Class Apartment, the second time around

Comments

1. Oh man, I’ve already done the lump sum payment for my council tax and service charge. Oh well, there’s always next year

• Genghis says:

You mean you’d like to have paid using the Tesco debit card? 0.3 avios /£ is not great. Note you can ‘accidentally’ overpay your council tax and then ask for a refund (to your bank account).

• James67 says:

You can ask for a refund minus amount already due, and then pay all over again with a method of your choice.

• Thanks guys. I can’t be bothered with installments/DD, and just pay the whole lot as a lump. My council charges for CCs, so DC is my only option.

Yes, weird people like me do exist 😀

• Oliver says:

Santander 123 lite does 1% back on council tax direct debit don’t forget

2. OT Fingers crossed my points transfer problem with Lloyds Avios credit card has now been resolved. Points for the missing 4 months were transferred manually last week – received a refund of the £24 fee, £275 comp and £13 for phone calls – total £312. Proof will be on18/4 if the next statement points transfer automatically. Points to date were 12818 – been told that once the issue has been resolved completely by Lloyds I will receive all those points again (within 26 wks)

• Genghis says:

The 2.5 avios/£ might just continue past six months as well if you’re lucky…

• Nick_C says:

Sounds interesting! Could you elaborate on that?

• Some folk have been lucky and it has continued, for most of us it stopped though – don’t think there’s anything you can do to change it though!

• James67 says:

Mine was still going great ar 2.5 after 9 months then following issues with my card they sent me a new one sans doubld points. In the end it didn’t matter as I no longer have great interest in avios so cancelled the card. Now focussing on MR and SPG points (for LH F, nig yet sure) or hotels. Clubcard points I will likely use for Hilton in the UK by cherry picking good value stays.

• Genghis says:

There’s value in Intrepid travel too at 3x for Tesco cc vouchers.

• the real harry1 says:

good spot http://www.intrepidtravel.com/ie/

somewhat niche but interesting

• James67 says:

Right up our street Genghis, thanks. We much prefer independent travel but this is still worthy of exploring although I cannot see us earning any more than about 10k clubcard points a year excluding bonuses.

• Genghis says:

I’m an independent travel kinda guy too but I used them to book a tour in Kruger next Feb. Might use them more if we like this one

• Nicely done, Liz 🙂

• Alex W says:

I thought the every day offers were just for the Lloyds debit card. I thought the credit card cash back was only through Amex connect?

3. OT I have received an alert on my Equifax credit file showing a company called SYGMA Ltd for a credit card – is this part of Creation – just recently taken out the IHG Creation Card.

• Genghis says:

Yes. Not sure precisely of the nature but looks like Creation Finance were previously known as Sygma Bank, all part of BNP.

4. Hi Rob
    I have had 2 Tesco bank accounts for a couple of years with 2 direct debits- do i have to increase it to 3 or is that for new applicants?
    Thanks
    Leo

5. Genghis says:

Earning 3 avios / £ on the BAPP?

• the 3 x avios were for making a purchase through avios.com. I’m hoping for 600 virgin miles for buying john lewis gift card in waitrose instore, 450 miles for spending said giftcard at john lewis online through avios.com, 225 avios for spending £150 on my BAPP to buy the giftcard. Sound right? Only waiting on the virgin miles…..

6. Nate1309 says:

O/T sorry, is anyone else having trouble accessing BA.com today, especially the manage my booking page. Trying to print the car hire voucher for a trip tomorrow but keeps coming up as an error. I have tweeted BA and messaged them but no response…

• Optimus Prime says:

I’m having the same issue.

• sprout7 says:

+1. Can’t access my upcoming flights at the weekend.

• Same problem too but it says they are doing a test today to try again later

• James67 says:

[email protected], not sure if it’s something you would be happy to do with a new van Liz but you could make great money renting it out for a week for the Open at Carnoustie next year. If of interest yoh would need to get the site booked asap.

• Wouldn’t rent it out – I know people who rented out their old large house in Barry for the last Open in Carnoustie. It was rented to 5 top Nike execs – they made a fortune – enough for a family of 6 to go to Florida and then some!

• Nate1309 says:

Thanks, they finally messaged me back and said to ring them.

• Nate1309 says:

Speaking to the woman on the phone she said to try after 4pm. But that is was a major issue and they couldn’t access any booking information in the office either. She did say that the airport computers were working and if needs be my car hire voucher could be printed there. If that helps anyone. As there is no BA desk at CWL I guess I will take my chances with my email conformation if it still isn’t working before I leave.

7. Magarathea says:

BA.com is down for me as well. I have a query about seat reservations on business class redemption bookings. I have done about 10, 2-4-1 redemptions in the last few years either in First or business class. Previously, seat reservations have not been a problem as First redemptions are free and I was BA silver for the business class bookings therefore also free. I’m now however BA blue and booked a business class 2-4-1 redemption to Los Angeles for March 2018. When I last looked at BA.com a few days ago it said I could only book seats at checkin. No option to pay extra to select seats. Is this correct? Any feedback would be appreciated.

• sounds to me like you have been forcibly downgraded, like anon…hope not for your sake.

• Nate1309 says:

you should be able to pay to reserve seats. But as blue you do have to wait until check in 🙁

• Nick_C says:

When you find out how much they charge, you may not want to! I’m flying to LA in June this year in J on a 241. Seat reservation starts at £77 but the best seats are £95 pp each way! Free in first, but very rare to find first redemptions on this route.

8. the real harry1 says:

O/T https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id1079364261

Airspace Explorer is a flight tracking and airspace education app. It has been developed by NATS (the UK’s leading provider of Air Traffic Control services) in partnership with FlightAware (the global flight data provider) and supported by AirTeamImages – the aviation images library. It’s currently in beta format

9. Does anyone know if the same Tesco CC point conditions work on the debit cards? i.e. you won’t be getting any CC points for buying a gift card in store? Or would I be getting 50 cc points for spending £50 on a gift card?

• Genghis says:

Regardless of payment method, no clubcard points on gift cards now I’m afraid.

• Indeed – Morrisons the only decent options for points earning on GCs – 25 per GBP, so 2.5% (5000pts=£5 voucher)

• You get the pts for the gift card spend using the Tesco credit card but not for using the Clubcard

10. Crafty says:

OT (slightly): as Hilton Gold, is breakfast included for both occupants of my room, or just me?

• For both of you – some hotels picky re the 2nd occupant being listed so you’d need to have booked the room for 2 rather than 1 – most don’t care at all and will happily let lots more in (eg if 2 parents/2 kids)

• Crafty says:

Cheers. Will confirm this weekend at the DT Edinburgh and report back if any problems!

• TzarChasm says:

I was wondering this too. If I was to book Hilton Rangali, apply for Amex Plat and upgrade my status before I reach there, would both of us get free breaky?

11. Callum says:

I know you added the caveat after but it really should be changed to “up to 0.3 Avios per pound”. I don’t think normal debit card usage will get anywhere near that amount. I know when I had the Tesco credit card my average was far lower than the maximum.