Bits: I’m flying a Boeing 747-8i today, Lufthansa UK deals to Japan and India, Enterprise Rent-A-Car and miles

News in brief:

The future of the Boeing 747-8i

Today I will be flying a Boeing 747-8i via Lufthansa for the first and possibly last time, on my way to New York.

The 747-8i – a stretched version of the 747-4 with a longer upper deck – has been a huge commercial failure with only three airlines ordering the passenger version.  Given that the other two are Air China and Korean Air, Lufthansa seemed the best chance of giving it a go.

At almost six metres longer than the Airbus A340-600, it is the longest passenger airline in operation.  The failure of the programme is part of the general trend away from larger aircraft which has also hit the A380, but the latter has sold better due to having a modern design rather than being based on a 40-year old lineage.

There have only been 47 orders for the 747-8 passenger version.  Lufthansa has taken 19 (all delivered), Korean Air has 10 (nine delivered) and Air China 7 (all delivered).  The rest are destined for the business jet / VIP market.

If you are very lucky, you may get to spot a Boeing 747-8 at Heathrow.  From 26th March, one of the two daily Heathrow services operated by Korean Air has switched to a 747-8i.  This is the first time that the aircraft has been used at Heathrow.

I found this article from Routes News interesting and worth a read if you have five minutes.  It looks at the future – or not – of both the A380 and B747-8 programmes.  This Wikipedia article gives you a decent rundown on the whole Boeing 747-8 programme.

Lufthansa 747-8

Special Lufthansa deals from UK to Japan

Speaking of Lufthansa ….. if our recent Japan coverage has encouraged you to visit this summer, Lufthansa has launched a good business class sale for UK departures.  Click here for details.

These prices are not as low as, say a Qatar Airways sale but you are do get to fly from the UK without positioning in Europe.  Lufthansa has connections from many regional airports to Frankfurt so you may also get to avoid Heathrow.

The headline prices is £1799 return to Tokyo, Osaka, Sapporo or Nagoya.

There are also similar deals around £1799 to Dubai, Seoul and various cities in India.  Other Asian destinations are a touch over £2000 return.

You must book by 23rd June for travel between 23rd July and 31st August.  Full terms are on the Lufthansa website here.

Enterprise Rent A Car 2

Miles & More partners with Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Car rental groups have generally been strong partners with frequent flyer schemes, but for some reason Enterprise Rent-A-Car has never fully embraced this.

The Enterprise Rent-A-Car UK website only shows Flying Blue (KLM, Air France) and – oddly – airberlin – as mileage earning partners.

Enterprise has recently launched a deal with Lufthansa Miles & More, however.   You will usually earn 500 miles per rental but, until the end of July, this is tripled to 1,500 Miles & More miles per rental.

Details are on the Miles & More website here.

My review of the new Premier Inn hotel at Heathrow Terminal 4
REMINDER: Get exclusive benefits on luxury hotel bookings via Head for Points

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. AndrewS says:

O/T Hilton Barclaycard.
    Have just hit the 10k calendar year spend requirement on the card to trigger Gold status.
    Any idea how quickly Barclaycard communicate this to HH and how soon the HH status change takes effect? I’m not getting a clear response on this from Barclaycard themselves.
    Got 2 redemption stays booked 2nd week of July and hoping it’ll be in place by then….
    Thanks.

• Hi Andrew. I got my Gold Status upgrade within a week of hitting the trigger- so I’m sure even if they are a bit slower than that, you should still be fine for early-mid July!

2. Gareth says:

Novotel related
    From 5.50pm on Wed 14 Jun, hotel chain Novotel is offering 100,000 £50 standard rooms – but you’ll have to be quick as the offer ends after only 50 minutes, at 6.40pm.

• Gareth says:

From money saving expert

• 100k is a huge number of rooms for a small chain – you won’t struggle for availability anyway!

• David says:

Hi Gareth – I can’t find details of this. Do you have a link? It’d be really useful for a few weekends where I was planning on a happy mondays deal! Many thanks!

• David says:

And then I googled it. Sorry for being an idiot – found it of course!

3. Johnt says:

Another offer from Lufthansa
    Only from 2 german airports. Probably ok if happy to gamble on finding a hotel as well. Like the idea though. Come on uk airlines?

4. Nicky says:

O/T: I live in the North of England, so normally use BA domestic to get to Heathrow. This weekend I flew from Newcastle to Amsterdam on KLM. I have to admit to being impressed. The flight was roughly an hour and like in the BA good old days we were served with a drink, sandwich and biscuit shortly after take off: all at no charge. The initial ticket price was very reasonable. It makes me question IAG’s motive to allow such a steep decline to our ‘national carrier’, It’s crazy. I now question whether I should be looking into flying KLM via Amsterdam to the USA in future.

• Fenny says:

If I lived near one of the regional airports, I’d fly via Amsterdam instead of BA. I haven’t flown KLM / Northwestern for more than 20 years, but they were always pretty good.

• Two years ago we used KLM/AirFrance/Delta to fly from Manchester to the Caribbean in economy as they were charging £2200 for 3 of us, as opposed to the £3500 BA wanted! They were absolutely fine (apart from having to go via the US but you have to do that unless you use BA, hence BA’s eye-watering prices), and definitely worth saving £1300 as there was no discernible difference in the level of service.

• RussellH says:

Also live in the North of England; just back from an all M+M miles trip from Manchester to Dresden. LH are still offering beer and sandwiches on the UK->D leg.

The last time I flew LH was 2012 and back then LH were providing müsli bars and beer. The müsli bars were disgusting – they tasted like 1d chews from when I was in lower primary! The sandwiches, though small, were a definite **improvement**. BA please take notice!

The domestic legs, being less than 60 mins still offered beer, but the sandwich was replaced by a Tschoko-Leibnitz handed out on boarding. There must have been a few spares on the DRS-FRA leg, as a large group of little girls walked past us with big smiles and a Tschoko-Leibnitz in each hand. I would hazard a guess that they will want to fly LH again.

Just a little thing, but it does make BA look like skinflints.

5. O/T – Does holding an Amex Plat as a supp stop me from earning sign-up bonuses from the PRGC?

6. Scallder says:

Just had the following from BA:

Where will Club World take you this Christmas?

From today, an additional 10,000 reward flight seats are available in our exclusive long haul business class cabin when you book using your Avios for travel between 18 December 2017 and 5 January 2018.

There are so many destinations to choose from. Why not shop for gifts in Boston’s Christmas market, marvel at New York’s glittering window displays or soak up the festive atmosphere at Philadelphia’s Winterfest?

Or if you’re looking to escape the cold weather, what could be better than relaxing in one of the sun-drenched beaches of Dubai or exploring the souks and markets of Abu Dhabi?

Wherever you choose to go, you now have the chance to get there and back in style.

Don’t miss out. Book now at ba.com

T&Cs:

Over 10,000 additional reward flight seats will be made available on 13 June 2017 and will remain available until booked.

The additional reward flight seats will be available in Club World on British Airways operated flights for travel from London Heathrow excluding flights to Europe, Latin America, and Central America and UK domestics.

Connecting flights are not included in this promotion. All reward flight bookings are strictly subject to availability, which may still be very limited on some routes and may not be available at all on some dates.

The total number of seats available for reward flight bookings will vary from route to route and from week to week, depending upon commercial demand.

• Very lucky people who can get leave at Christmas with 6 months’ notice (not jealous or anything).

• Gavin says:

Useful for those who have a Company shutdown for 8 or 9 days to allow the Expats to get back to Japan.

Sadly the Mrs will have to work!

• Haha indeed, would love a shutdown over that fortnight but one of our busiest periods!

• I got this but seem to remember that BA quite often offer deals over the Xmas/New Year period – a couple of years back it was £1K each for 2 J flights or some such.

• A friend of mine got that too, no such email love from BA for me sadly 🙁 Quite frustrating given they still send the totally pointless upcoming booking emails at random intervals before flight departure!

7. rickey says:

Data Point: Marriott Travel Package.

I ordered package about 10 days ago with AA miles and can confirm I received 150K AA miles (currently 25% bonus from AA for hotel partners) exactly 8 days later.
    Happy days! Still don’t know where would I spend my 7 nights.

• Scallder says:

Which category did you go for rickey?

Trying to build up an SPG stash so as to be able to, if the SPG Amex sticks around until the end of next year, would get the wife and I three cat 1-5 packages, although not sure whether it would be worth trading up and going for 2 weeks at nicer properties…

• Genghis says:

Go for 1-5 then pay difference if go for better property

• rickey says:

It was indeed category 1-5.
        One can always upgrade it later with some point addition with higher category property when you are actually ready to make booking.

8. Gareth says:

OT- just managed a virgin mbna white card churn after 3 months

9. Just had an email from IHG saying ‘buy a minimum of 20,000 IHG® Rewards Club points and we’ll match your purchase with 100% more in bonus points! Take advantage of this offer before it ends on July 12, 2017’. May be useful for some one.

10. Gareth says:

With the potential demise of mbna Amex card within the next twelve months, has anyone considered the idea of taking the the black card and then hoping for a demise to then request a pro ratar refund?

11. OT: I’ve just received an email from IC Le Grand in Paris telling me that the 4pm check-out is NOT guaranteed on a points reservation. I’ve replied with the terms and conditions:

“InterContinental® Ambassador Benefits: A room one category higher than purchased will be assigned upon check-in to InterContinental Ambassadors. InterContinental Ambassadors will be entitled to a late check-out time of 4:00 pm. Ambassadors receive fresh fruit, sweet or savoury snack and water in their room on arrival, with mineral water replenished daily. Ambassadors receive a personalised welcome letter and in-room gift. Ambassadors are entitled to one free Pay-TV film per stay (where a cost is applicable). Ambassadors are charged Single Rate for Double Room Occupancy. When staying on Reward Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Privileges apply with the exception of upgrades, Club Lounge access (Royal Ambassadors), Mini bar beverages (Royal Ambassadors), free Pay-TV film per stay, 24-hour guaranteed room availability and 8:00 am early check-in (where a cost is applicable). A Rewards Night booking must be booked under the IHG Rewards Club account of the member for him/her to enjoy the benefits. ”

Has anyone else had this issue on points redemptions at this hotel? I know it’s generally well regarded by HfPs.

• Prince Polo says:

When I checked it last time, the T&Cs said it’s not guaranteed on points reservations, it was however on reservations made through third parties (and has always been honored on my reservations through hotels.com).

• I couldn’t help but chuckle at their way of saying you get all benefits on reward stays, apart from… and then go on to list the vast majority of benefits! I know properties vary and many go above and beyond, but it really makes Ambassador much less appealing (I did consider it a couple of times previously).