500 Virgin miles for joining IHG Rewards Club – no stay required!

(EDIT: despite how this promo is described, both on the IHG and Virgin sites, the small print says that you must sign up AND stay to get the 500 miles. I assume that is correct and that the main pages on the offer, which I based this article on, are badly written.)

I know what you’re thinking ….. a month ago I ran an offer whereby you could get 1,000 Avios points just for joining Marriott Rewards – no stay required. And, a day later, Marriott pulled the offer.
(Don’t ask me if you will eventually get the points for that or not.  Marriott has told some people by email that the 1,000 Avios will be sent by the end of July, but that date is getting very close.)

IHG Rewards Club is now running a similar offer, although you only have 2 days left to take part.

IHG Rewards Club logo 350

If you join IHG Rewards Club via this special link (click), and do it before 31st July, you will receive 500 Virgin Flying Club miles.

To be honest, I doubt there are many HFP readers who are not already members, but if you’re not this is your chance.  Virgin Flying Club does not have household accounts, so there is no benefit is signing up additional family members unless they already have an active Virgin account.

There is also a ‘fast track to Gold’ offer.  If you complete three nights at IHG hotels before 30th October, you will be upgraded.  Gold would usually require 10 nights.

This isn’t hugely beneficial, since you can get free Gold status by getting the free IHG Rewards Club credit card – no spending required.  There are not many benefits to being Gold, although you will get a few hundred bonus points and usually a free drink or snack on every stay.

You can sign up, or discover more details, on this page of the IHG website.

Bits: win with The Times and The Telegraph travel awards, no more Nectar points on easyJet
BA Holidays Flash Sale - New York in Club World with hotel from £1293!

Nutmeg ad

Comments

1. Peter says:

It should work with Marriott, as I´ve got posted my 1000 miles from Marriott into my Miles and More account already, dated August 12 as a 2017 DOUBLE MILES – 1K BONUS.

2. Peter says:

July 12, sorry

3. Allan says:

I’ve received my 1000 points which I sent to M&M

4. Doug M says:

Thank you. Not the easiest site to navigate.

5. OT. Would like some advice on SPG account.

I have an SPG Amex card and just triggered 11,000 bonus points for hitting the spend target. I spoke to an agent at Amex to see if they can get the points across to my SPG account and cancel the card. He said the points may not post if I cancel and the points go across to the SPG account on the 20th of each month. Is there any way I can speed up the points going across to the SPG account? I’m after a redemption and would like to secure a seat soon.

• No, SPG transfers are automatic with that card, you don’t have a choice when they go across. I definitely wouldn’t close the card before they do as you may have issues with getting the points at all!

• Thanks Alan.

• RussellH says:

Amex’s IT is slipping.

Got two e-mails from them this morning. One confirming completion of the transfer to MR points to Hilton. The second, 50 mins later, telling me that the transfer had just been initiated…

• AIcatti says:

Especially with the updated Terms for American Express, they will be in their rights not to pay the bonus if card closed.

No point of closing AMEX SPG card immediately on the same month after opening — 75 annual feee means 75/12=6.25 cost per month.

Think of the impact of your credit record, if you have a set of accounts of one-month duration you less attractive to the lenders.

• Genghis says:

Please point us to those terms.

• I think you’re thinking of the USA terms, not the UK ones – unless you know something different? Please provide a link to them if so…

• US only – where there is already a ‘no churn’ rule anyway.

• LOL I know – I was just trying to give AIcatti the benefit of the doubt 😉

• James Wagner says:

I’d expect one to pop up here soon.
            Need to get my parents to sign up for the Amex Gold for the 20k bonus each.
            What’s the best method for getting them and/or me more MR points through a referral or special code or the like ?

I have an Amex Platinum.

Cheers.

• You refer one, who refers the other, or you refer both.

• Why? They’re operating in quite a different market, with massively bigger sign-up bonuses.

6. OT: Can some one share Tesco Credit Card : Refer A Friend 1000 points each form (I got one from 2013 don’t think I can use that any longer).

7. ANDREW MACKIE says:

For the life of me could not get the IHG site to accept my btinternet.com address (which I use for Virgin) and had to enrol with my gmail.com address so fingers crossed as to whether the miles will ever show…….when IHG membership was set up I then tried going into my pesonal details and changing the address to the bt one but still no luck…..c’est la vie.

• Same with me – I can’t use my btinternet address either – says my email is invalid even though it is my main address.

8. Enrol with IHG® Rewards Club and stay at any participating IHG Hotels worldwide between 00:01 local time on 01.06.17 and 23.59 local time on 31.07.17 to receive 500 Flying Club airmiles for registering as a new Member of IHG Rewards Club.

Clearly says AND stay.

9. JohnT says:

T&C do imply need to register AND stay before 31/7 as well. We’ll see. Also account has to stay open a year.

10. M HOCKENHULL says:

Please can I k can I convert these flying points to Hilton honours pointd? I have not even got a virgn air account yet …

11. Optimus Prime says:

Looks like Tesco is giving a 20% bonus when converting to Virgin miles: https://insideflyer.co.uk/2017/08/secret-unpublished-conversion-bonus-tesco-clubcard-virgin-atlantic/