REGISTER NOW – Hilton launches new ‘double points + Diamond bonus’ promotion

Hilton Honors has just launched its new Autumn promotion which is now open for registration.

To give Hilton credit, it is very straightforward with minimal small print:

You will earn DOUBLE Hilton Honors base points for every stay between 1st September and 31st December.

Diamond members will receive an extra bonus.  For most people, this is 10,000 additional bonus points for every 10 nights you stay, up to a maximum of 50,000 points.

You can register for the offer here.

There is no small print except that you need to register in advance via the Hilton website:

There is no minimum stay requirement

Existing bookings still count

All Hilton Family properties (Hilton, Hampton, Curio, Waldorf-Astoria, Conrad etc) are taking part – there is no list of non-participating hotels – except for Hampton properties in China

The full rules for the promotion can be found here.

Hilton double points promotion

Should you get a Diamond status match for the extra bonus?

If you have top tier status with another hotel programme, Hilton Honors will give you a 90 day free trial of Hilton Diamond status.  You can request a status match here.

You need to supply a screenshot showing your top tier status in another programme plus a screenshot showing a paid stay in the previous 12 months.

Gold status matches are also available if you have mid-tier status with another scheme.

If you complete eight stays (note it is stays, not nights) during the 90 days you will keep your Diamond status until 31st March 2019.  If you only manage four stays you will receive Gold status until 31st March 2019.

To be honest, it is unlikely to be worth getting a match purely for the potential extra bonus offered here.  Although, of course, hitting the 10 nights would potentially get you the eight stays you need to retain Diamond.

You might still want to get a match anyway, of course, in order to get Diamond benefits on stays this Autumn.  The downside is that you may lock yourself out of a future Hilton Diamond match.  If the hotels you are visiting are unlikely to give you much for your Diamond status (ie they have no lounge so you don’t get anything from the ‘guaranteed lounge access’ benefit) you may want to hold back.  You may get a better deal by taking the Diamond status match later, assuming Hilton continues to offer it.  You need to make your own call here.

Conclusion

‘Double base points’ is a decent offer and you should make sure you register here if you have any Hilton stays coming up over the next three months.

Whether you move your business to Hilton may depend on your new IHG Accelerate target – see my recent article for details on that.

Bits: Avios / Boswell insurance deal extended, TLS, double Avios with Heathrow Express
50% bonus on Heathrow Rewards transfers to Avios - sign-up promo now worth 4,500 Avios

Comments

1. Chris Cannon says:

I agree it’s a good offer. It is however watered down from the summer offer where Diamonds got triple points on every stay. This offer will cost them a lot less and reward their most loyal less too

• Nicola Walton says:

Off topic but have IHG changed the Spire benefit of gifting Platinum status as a benefit?
      My husband chose this option last year and this for a family member. It was done in January last year and this and yesterday the family member received in the post a gold card and welcome pack saying this was his new status?

• Hmm. Could be an error – logically it should run for the rest of 16 and all 17, like normal status. Perhaps there is a secret rule? Eg do it before June and you only get current year?

Get your father to ask IHG and let me know if they give you an odd answer like the example above.

• Nicola Walton says:

Hi Rob, we renewed it beginning of January 2016 and then again in January 2017 so we should be good for all of 2017.
          Will have to get in touch with IHG.

• No, it was available yesterday as an option

2. The fact the Hilton does not allow rolling of nights or stays from one year to the next means now I’ve renewed Diamond I’ll switch to Marriott which do allow nights to be rolled over.

Always handy to start a year with c. 30 night towards the 75 night Platinum target.

Not a bad offer though.

3. Off topic, but Hilton related.

This northerner appreciated the bargain of a 10,000 point redemption at Hampton Newcastle last week.

It’s located directly opposite the Train station, v convenient, short walk to a Wetherspoons down by the Quayside with views of the Tyne Bridge.

Stay includes cooked breakfast and earnt me 750 points. I also got upgraded to a slightly larger family room with sofabed.

I’ll be using it again, meanwhile it could be an option for a mattress run for future diamond hopefuls?

• Staying there in 2 weeks time!

• Genghis says:

And opposite the Centurion, the only place I’ve ever found Newcastle Brown on tap

• I’ll second that, we recently had a great stay using points – 5 nights for 40k. Central location, very friendly & helpful staff – excellent value. We will be staying again, even if we have to use cash!

• RussellH says:

Stayed there five night last year – certainly recommended. No points for me though, as F+B gets you nothing at Hampton and the stays themselves were on points.

The only downside for me has been the staff – a bit grumpy I found, and one day our room was not done up and reception did nothing other than say that they would mention it to the manager.

They could take a few tips from staff at the Indigo 300 yards up the street; pleasantly jokey, helpful, cheerful, and for some reason on both stays this year the booking system has insisted that we had paid for breakfast when we had not. No problems getting two free drinks on arrival with Gold status either.

And there is another Weatherspoons on the corner, about 100 yards from the Hampton up towards the Indigo.

4. O/T Crowne Plaza Birmingham NEC offering spire members free parking (£10 a day) or free breakfast on my stay yesterday.

5. OT but Hilton related!
    Thinking of going to Istanbul in late October/Early November for a long weekend and wanted to see whether any readers had any opinions.

I’ll be flying CE, and want to use up my Hilton points. Does anyone have any recommendations on good Hilton proprieties in Istanbul? I’m liking the look of the Conrad Bosphorus. Also, what’s the cheapest way to get to/from the airport? Thanks!

• Jon, I’ve stayed at the Conrad Istanbul. The executive lounge is excellent and the view from its terrace is amazing and wine til 11Rooms are large and comfortable. I’ve also stayed at the Hilton Park which was a bit dated.

• We stayed at Hilton Bomonti in May. Superb hotel – modern and clean. Staff were impeccable. Exec lounge on 34th floor views over Bosporus, Asia and old town. As diamond I was upgraded to a huge suite (3 baths) Purchased through BA hols and still got the bens. Rooms typically around the £100 mark. Not sure points redemptions. We go back in Oct as liked it so much. Tip – Leave plenty of time on the return as 3 security checks (one before check-in), PP via Amex gets you access to all the lounges (well the ones I could find)

• ahaha, cheapest? Metro! I takes up to 1hr but if not mistaken quicker than traffic.

• johnny_c-l says:

I stayed at the Conrad on points for a week last year and loved it.

It is very much a business hotel (which doesn’t bother me), but the bathrooms are excellent with waterfall and rain-showers plus bath. The refreshments (self-serve) plus food in the exec lounge is also very good. The lounge was moved a few years ago I think and overlooks the park/local street; I think the terrace Lenin refers to might be from when it was on the top floor which is now a bar?

Location-wise it’s not in the centre of the touristy-stuff but personally I think Besiktas is a great base to explore from. Conrad is a few mins walk from a ferry terminal to get across to Sultanahmet area (Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia etc.), about 15 min walk from Dolmabache Palace, plus it has some wonderful old streets in the shopping district.

Other Hilton options to look at would be the DT in Sultanahmet which is central tourist area (but dead at night), or consider DT Moda on the Asian side (not stayed here but planning to) which is well located for Kadikoy and ferries across to European side.

I always use Uber from the airport to order a taxi (it’s the same rate as a regular taxi – they use the meter and enter it on the app at the end).

• Thanks all!
        Unfortunately I am only a Hilton Gold, and was only planning to use my points for a “King delux room”. What are the chances that I’ll be upgraded to a room with Executive Lounge access would you think?
        idrive- I wanted to say “best”, but realised that I may get some pretty expensive options! I’ll have a look at the metro/uber 🙂

• Johnny_c-l says:

Honestly I wouldn’t be able to guess about upgrade chances, but when I was Hilton Gold I never got an executive lounge upgrade in the UK. The Conrad staff were really customer focused so it might be worth dropping them an email to start the ball rolling, or at worst agree a price they’d sell access to you for.

If it helps, I found the evening food in the lounge good enough to substitute for a meal (of course the free-pour G&Ts also helped…).

I took a fixed-price minivan Uber to IST which cost 100 TRY (about £22 now) so a regular taxi, or Uber taxi would be £15 – £30 dependent on traffic I reckon.

• Thanks Johnny. I’m looking around now for the best combination of cheap CE redemption flights and the lowest point priced Conrad weekend!

• What a shame to eat in a hotel lounge when in Istanbul!

6. Can someone suggest a Hilton property either in London or Europe for the best use of a Barclaycard free night reward certificate. My wife has one too – can they be redeemed at the same time to secure a 2 night stay or will it be two separate bookings.

• I’ve used one of mine for Hilton in Venice and the other for Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam – both were very memorable stays

• Must be 2 separate bookings but not exactly a big problem.

Good ones – Venice, Conrad Algarve, Tallinn*, Paris Opera*, Waldorf or Hilton Berlin, Conrad London, Waldorf Amsterdam, Mallorca*, Waldorf Rome, Curio Ibiza*

Starred ones have been reviewed here. There is a Curio on Lake Como now apparently – Hilton invited us but is was too far to justify.

• The Hilton at Lake Como isn’t open till the end of November. They expected to open in APril this year and the date keeps being pushed back. Seems to be Hilton branded now rather than Curio.

• Can I use the Barclaycard free night voucher to book and stay at a later date after the voucher expired date or the free night stay must be used before the expire date?

• Conrad St James gets you £ value. Rob has articles on that + Paris Opera.

Also a shout out to the UK’s only Waldorf Astoria in Edinburgh, but that might not be best £ value unless peak periods, ie festival & Hogmanay

• I did Conrad St James a couple of weeks ago on a Barclaycard night. Well looked after but I had just status matched from IHG Spire to Hilton Diamond. Room upgrade and nice evening canapes and breakfast in the lounge.

7. hackinjack says:

Links not working for me, just returns to same page.

• ThinkSquare says:

Are you using Firefox? Rob’s “clickbait” 😉 links never work for me in Firefox. Try Chrome instead

• They don’t work for me in Chrome 🙁

• Try this – https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/en_US/HHCM/20170822_17457

The links are fine in Chrome and Safari.

We use link management software which allows us to quickly change out of date links which would otherwise go to dead pages, give 404 errors and negatively impact our Google rank. This can cause issues if you are at work and your employer has extremely strict internet security systems in place because the ultimate destination is not visible to your IT network and this can cause them to get nervous.

MSE etc uses the same link management software.

Let’s imagine, for eg, that Amex changes the home page for the Amex Gold card and does not redirect the old application page. There are probably 500 links on HFP to that page. Without link management software, we would need to make 500 changes.

• Thank you. It worked once I disabled AdBlock for the HFP domain 🙂

• As you should 🙂

• RussellH says:

Do you have Ghostery installed? Some links here only work if this is temporarily disabled.

• No, but it looks like it was AdBlock that was causing the issue. Strange, because I’ve never had this problem before. Maybe there’s been an update of some sort.

• hackinjack says:

Working now, but they were not earlier (using chrome) – I tried on my phone, tab, Macbook and a Workstation. Anyway, all good now and I’m all tooled up for already booked 10 nighter in Oct as a diamond, bring on those points!

8. pointsarb says:

Might be an obvious question but are the bonus points on this offer only applied to paid stays? Redemption stays are excluded right? Thanks!

• Genghis says:

For double up, if you get points for F&B on a redemption (i.e. at a Hilton / Conrad but not at Hampton) then these double up. You should get the diamond bonus regardless of paid or redemption.

9. OT –
    1) Anyone stayed at the Hilton in KOta Kinabalu, Malaysia? ANy tips/recommendations?
    2) If stayed anywhere else in Kota Kinabalu – please let me have recommendations?
    3) If i have a stay worth around £250 pounds (3 nights) at Hilton – is it better to take double points or points and miles – I collect Avios/FC, and if so is Virgin FC the best to collect as better rate?

• Scallder says:

Can’t help you with the Hilton Ammar, but I did have one night at the Le Meridien. Went for a club level room as the extra cost really wasn’t much more (this was in 2013). We found it excellent – the room was absolutely huge (including a walk in wardrobe!) And the lounge was excellent with lovely views out to sea. Really would recommend it. I’m sure from memory it’s only a Category 2 SPG redemption as well so if you had points it could be a very cheap redemption, and sure you could pay a small amount to upgrade to club if you wanted

• Genghis says:

I’ve not stayed at recently opened Hilton Kota Kinabalu but I booked a room for a friend. The price on points was a bargain vs cash (10k per night). I then got 1k / night back for a special “Kota Kinabalu bonus”. My friend noted the room and lounge were excellent.

The double points and points and miles are not mutually exclusive. I.e. you can do both. What’s best for you at any given moment, you’d need to run the numbers.

10. I made a rookie mistake on one of our Hilton stays last week – paid for on points and didn’t make any purchases (I thought they’d be able to charge parking to the room, but apparently it’s a separate business) – lost out on at least 1500HH and 2000 Avios!

…note to self, always look to include at least a minimal cash component when there are decent offers on!

• I don’t think you would have got the Avios.
      Also the 1000 HH points for being Diamond is not dependent on spend.

• Oh, so should I still get 1000 Diamond bonus plus 500 for booking via the app anyway?

11. dicksbits says:

Slightly OT: Summer Sale says it ends THIS Friday, but in the past I’ve often seen discounted rooms outside the main room season. So for leisure trips to Estonia and Germany in Nov and Dec should I rush to book by Friday? Also thought another sale might get launched in the Autumn

• There almost certainly will be more sales along but they haven’t booked any advertising with us for the Autumn at this point.

12. OT – but Hilton related. Other half (no hilton status) going to Tokyo for a business trip where all bookings / receipts have to be in her name. I have the diamond status and will also be there for the trip. Anyone knows if they will apply the status benefits (spouse stays free) if I just use my account to book listing her as the main guest providing I am present for the check in?

• You can’t do that. Any booking from your account will be in your name by default. Best you can do is talk to the front desk and see if, as a goodwill gesture, they will give the room Diamond privileges.

Can’t you match her to Hilton Diamond via any other hotel status card?

• Does whoever is paying know you’ll be there too? – presumably there’s a case that if you can get diamond benefits the cost will be cheaper? – eg no need to pay for breakfast?

• Rob I thought there was the option to change the guest name when you book the hotel online. Guess that doesnt change the invoice then, bummer. No chance of matching atm.
        Nick. No they dont know , but may try that route to negotiate with the HR dragons.
        Thanks both

13. Waribai says:

Slightly OT. With Marriott, you can make a booking and earn the points later to redeem against that booking. Is there any similar mechanism with SPG? Or would it be possible to make a flexible cash booking and then convert it later to a points one?

14. Waribai says:

Ok, thanks. That’s unfortunate!

15. Happy days! Have a HGVC stay for 10 nights in Orlando booked already 🙂

16. Anyone else struggling to register for this promo?

I keep getting a error message every time.

• Seems to be OK – and I just got my ‘official’ Hilton email about it. Perhaps there has been a rush on the site.

• Registered fine last week – no email confirmation though, but I only ever seem to get booking emails from Hilton and nothing else – even after checking my email options were set to ‘allow all’ on their website and changing my email address on their system!