Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: Very impressive £39-£99 IHG Flash Sale now on, get 240 Avios with ‘Wimpy Kid’

News in brief:

Good IHG Flash Sale now on

IHG has launched a flash sale covering Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo and Staybridge Suites.

This is ONLY for hotels in Europe.  600 properties are included.

Rooms are priced at either £39, £59, £79 or £99 (or € in Europe).  Here is the list.

There are some impressive hotels includedCrowne Plaza The City in London, which most see as comparable to the InterContinental in quality terms, is £99 for example.  The Paddington and Kensington Hotel Indigo hotels are also £99.  Even the very good Crowne Plaza Kensington which I reviewed here (and pictured below) is £99.

You need to book by 5th November.  Stays must be between 1st December and 28th February 2018.  Rooms booked under this offer are non-refundable.

You can book at ihg.com here.   You can see all the hotels included by price band on this page of the website.

Crowne Plaza Kensington

240 Avios or 250 Virgin Flying Club miles with ‘Diary of a Wimpy Kid’

Tesco Direct is currently offering 100 bonus Clubcard points, worth 240 Avios or 250 Virgin Flying Club miles, if you pre-order ‘Diary of a Wimpy Kid : The Getaway’.

The book, released on 7th November, is also reduced from £12.99 to just £6.

Full details are in this Shopper Points article.

Comments (99)

• Cate says:

OT, I don’t know if this is targeted but I’ve just received an email from Club Carlson with a promise of 15,000 points for a booking. Looks like the hotel and flight markets are heating up for Christmas.

• the real harry1 says:

O/T Tesco—> Virgin

just switched on auto-conversion to get the 1000 miles bonus

also converted a test amount from Tesco to see if I get the 20% bonus

where did people see these 2 offers? as there’s nothing on the tesco.com or VAFC sites

• Rob says:

It was emailed. It is not unusual for it to take a couple of weeks to turn up online, either at Tesco or VA. You should get the miles overnight.

• Mark says:

Do these IHG rates count for the Accelerate bonuses?

• RussellH says:

I looked into this MORE thing yesterday. AIUI, I had to download a MORE add-on for Firefox which I did; FF confirmed the installation.

But clicking through to Amazon and to Debenhams both resulted in the top inch or so the screen being covered with with a huge error message, about some link not being found (not a conventional looking URL, though). Not at all encouraging and I did not try buying anything.

Anyone else see this?

• Rob says:

Worked on Amazon with Chrome but it was very intrusive. Can’t run the app as my phone is still on iOS 9 🙂

• Fox99 says:

O/T – This IHG sale has reminded me to book a hotel for a family trip to Rome next February. However, nothing in the sale suits. I have been loyal to IHG for the last year or so and have Spire status. However, it looks as though i need to find another brand for this trip. The IHG locations available don’t suit. Any thoughts on mid price, well placed, hotels in Rome and how I could leverage some status from another chain. Have looked at Hilton and am only offered the Waldorf Astoria which is too expensive, Carlson don’t have rooms at the required times. Any thoughts welcome.

• mark2 says:

suggest you look at Marriott/SPG.

• Fox99 says:

Thank you, have had a look. Nice looking hotels, but expensive for a family size room. Will keep in mind.

• Majunga says:

The Hotel Fontana is surprisingly good value. it is a basic 3* right opposite the Trevi, the breakfast room on the rooftop has an impressive view.

• Lee says:

OT – has Amazon been removed from Marriott reward? can’t be seen anywhere

• mark2 says:

Yes it does seem to have gone; I used it at 17:06 today.
      It is much less productive than the Twitter thing.

• Alex W says:

Dammit, can’t believe I missed out on Amazon! M&S does gift cards, might work.

• Alex W says:

IHG related. Did anyone get their “hidden” accelerate bonuses for Oct or Nov?

• Optimus Prime says:

OT – we’re enjoying our stay in Kauai, thanks to everyone who recommended the Sheraton, the Deluxe Ocean Room is quite nice. SPG Gold benefits are not spectacular… just free valet and choice of 250 points or two Mai-Tais. We managed to book a special rate including full breakfast plus 35% discount on room rate and meals/drinks at the two restaurants. BTW it’s full with kids, aren’t they meant to be in school?

Also in Kauai have hired a car with Avis. They were going to give us a complimentary upgrade and I asked how much for a Mustang. I played the “first time in Kauai/anniversary trip” and gave it to us for just an additional $15 per day.

We also stayed 2 nights in Honolulu in Marriott Waikiki beach. 40k points per night. Got upgraded to Junior Suite with City View. As Marriott Gold you get free breakfast for just one person – the other guests get a 25% discount. Actually you get such discount for the two onsite restaurants, not just breakfast. Late checkout is guaranteed only till 2pm.

At Hilton San Francisco Financial District we redeemed our free night certificates. I know this is embarrassing and poor value but the Hilton resorts in Honolulu do not accept them so it was this or losing them. We did not get any upgrades. Late checkout was at 3pm. They gave us free continental breakfast and could upgrade to full one for $10. I asked to upgrade and upon receiving the bill they decided not to charge me because I hadn’t raided the buffet lol.

Last but not least our first stop was The Palazzo at Las Vegas. Nice recognition of Ambassador status: upgrade to bigger suite – 900 sq ft -, welcome gift – fruit basket and water -, late checkout – lady said till 2pm though their welcome letter says 4pm. Didn’t argue because our next flight departed at 3pm. You also get a free rental movie but didn’t have time for it.

So far my complimentary upgrade record with Hilton is 0% after Brussels City and SF but we’re very happy with our upgrades at Marriott Waikiki and The Palazzo!

BTW tried to use PP to get into Alaska lounge at LAX terminal 3. Was full.

My wife is quite disappointed with PP and when I told her about Genghis’s quick churn strategy she said we should do the same and forget about PP. Maybe try and get BA silver through a Qatar sale, but at her office they’re so slow and incompetent that I don’t think she can get sign off on her vacations in just 48 hours!

Anyway apologies for the long post.

• the real harry1 says:

sounds great

kids: Brits? – Cornwall also still had plenty around this week rthough not as heaving/ full as last week (state schools half term) – I think some independent schools get 2 weeks that ends today (as opposed to 2 weeks that ended last Friday)

• Optimus Prime says:

No, they’re american. I was expecting them to have time off around Thanksgiving but not now…

BTW have just attended the Luau at the hotel – totally recommend it.