BA sale

Bits: IHG Advent game, Priority Pass deal extended, new IHG luxury booking scheme

News in brief:

IHG Rewards Club brings back its daily Advent Calendar game

IHG Rewards Club is re-running its Advent Calendar daily quiz again this year featuring Iggy The Snowman.  There are new prizes to be won each day.

Last year it was a virtual Where’s Wally? game and I seem to remember there were problems with points posting.  I am not going to focus on it, unless it turns out to be ludicrously lucrative, but you can register over at the IHG Rewards Club website here.

Priority Pass

Priority Pass extends its Black Friday deal

If you’ve been thinking of getting a Priority Pass airport lounge card the company has extended its Black Friday discount until 1st December.

You will save 40% on Standard memberships, 25% on Standard Plus memberships, and 25% on Prestige memberships.  Full details are on the Priority Pass site here.

InterContinental Paris Le Grand ballroom

IHG launches its own luxury travel agents partnership

Emyr Thomas of Bon Vivant, who runs our luxury hotels booking service,  tells me that IHG has launched a new programme.

Luxury travel agents such as Bon Vivant will soon be able to book special deals at 87 InterContinental hotels, 24 Kimpton hotels and some Hotel Indigo properties.

We do not have the details yet, but I would imagine benefits may include free breakfast, a $100 or so hotel credit per stay and guaranteed late check-out.

You will need to pay Best Flexible Rate to get these benefits.  Stays should qualify for IHG Rewards Club points.

I will share more details on this when available.

Remember that Emyr can already get you special deals on some InterContinental properties.  At London Park Lane and Paris Le Grand, for instance, you get FREE access to the Club Lounge when you book via Emyr at Best Flexible Rate.  Paris bookings for a Classic Room get a guaranteed upgrade at the time of booking to a Superior Room, and all bookings get a ‘subject to availability’ upgrade.

(When Emyr booked a junior suite for me in Paris in August, the hotel actually sent me photos of some full suites and asked which one I wanted to be upgraded into!  The photo above is the very modest ballroom at Le Grand.)

Details of our booking service are here.

What are the best hotel promos currently available? (registrations close today)
.... and some official pictures of the new Qantas lounge in Heathrow Terminal 3

Comments

1. Have i missed a recent Virgin 20% Bonus Conversion with Clubcard vouchers?

2. Andrew_A says:

IHG related.
    I have 2 nights (Thurs / Fri ) booked in the IC Hong Kong next June using points. Can anyone who has stayed here advise on the type of room, views etc that I can expect? My AMB status will have expired by then and I am not sure if i am going to renew it before I go so no upgrade. Also, as the breakfast appears to be around £30-£35 per head, I am thinking I may be better trying to re-book through Bon Vivant if free breakfast, late check out is available.

• They do not change your view, so your street side view will remain street side. If you want harbour view then you need to pay for it.

Given the crazy construction around the hotel on both sides – not sure what state that will be in by June – and the fact that the hotel is about to close for 18 months and is presumably running down with minimal day to day capex, I would keep a close eye on reviews and be prepared to move if necessary.

3. the real harry1 says:

Missing Vinoseleccion orders: I gave them a ring as my wife got her order last week but nothing so far for me

they looked it up and in their system they had the order but had not sent the order nor was it waiting to be sent (even though they have some stock there now)!

so Anna will get it to me by Monday/ Tuesday with the 240 Avios – but they weren’t going to action anything without my prompt

I can only think that when they ran out of stock, they put the orders on hold – but when the stock came back in, some orders fell through the gaps

if you haven’t received your order yet, you might want to give them a ring

• Mine suddenly turned up yesterday with just a text from the courier.
      Not too impressed with the wine, but no pretensions of expertise.

4. the real harry1 says:

GBP-USD up another cent guys – $1.35 – https://www.dailyfx.com/gbp-usd

it’s happening 🙂

international travellers please take note

• the real harry1 says:

$1.39 by Xmas, $1.45 not too long after that

or I’m a Dutchman

should go up vs EUR as well, so there might be an opp where they priced one of the various buy Avios promotions in old currency – then we get a 5% blip and you can get them more cheaply

5. Just for info, canx my platinum card and was offered three points for every pound I put through the card for keeping it alive. Said no thanks at the time but now wondering if I’ve shot myself in the foot.

• the real harry1 says:

depends how much you put thru

getting the welcome bonus on another card can be much better

• I could put the money through and beat the 30,000 welcome bonus. I was expecting him to talk about the 5k bonus so got off track when he mentioned it. Groan…I always miss something.

• the real harry1 says:

these Amex CS guys are pleasant & flexible – you could always ring back & say you would like the offer after all – might work

OTOH if you are anything like my wife (who just got a brand new shiny Audi co car today!) you won’t like that agony of having to choose again after all 🙂

just make it easy and take out 2/ 2+ new cards over the next 3 months for the same spend

then it’s pretty obvious

• Thank you Harry and congrats to Mrs Harry on the new wheels 🙂

• the real harry1 says:

thanks! can’t wait to give it a go

O/T I did a confidential research online study thingy with SomeResearch etc today to earn 250 Welcome Avios & it was all about the cards/ apps like Curve that combine all your other cards into 1 app or physical card

sounds like there are many of them coming up – I think 16 were mentioned – most were mainstream names – Curve did not figure

• the real harry1 says:

eg Masterpass

Bypass checkout forms forever.*
          1.)Confirm your identity, choose a password, and set up a security question only you know.
          2.)Tell us where you’d like your purchases sent.
          3.)Add your credit, debit, reloadable prepaid, and store cards along with your loyalty information.
          *Wherever Masterpass is accepted.

sounds like they’re all at it, not sure BUD will have a unique or winning angle

• the_real_a says:

THREE points… bloody hell i need to up my game with retentions!

6. Kathy H says:

Is it just me or can anyone else not get the IHG Advent Snow Globe advent to work – it won’t let me “catch the date”. Sad I know but I do like this sort of thing.

• managed it on my mobile, but far easier on a laptop as is spotting which prize to choose.

• ANDREW M says:

It’s a bit of a faff but as jim mc suggests you have to click on the number as it passes over a hand….I managed it by hovering over a hand and waiting for the number to pass over…..

7. same thing, no matter what i do no chance of catching the date. i assume you click on the date as it passes over a hand ?

8. Bad enough trying to catch it, but then I was told you have already submitted an answer but I hadn’t!! Tried to call the service centre. I should have known better, atrocious. All this after day 1 when the robot check didn’t work. This is not worth the effort.