BA says goodbye to in-flight shopping on short-haul, the Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph

British Airways has made an internal announcement that it is phasing out in-flight shopping on short-haul flights from January.

January 2018 sees the arrival of the first A320 / A321 NEO aircraft which will come with new high-density seating.  At the same time, the existing short-haul fleet will begin to be retrofitted to the same design.

One key plank of the new design is the removal of the toilets at the rear of the aircraft.  These will now be built into the back wall, allowing extra rows of seats to fill the space currently taken up by the loo.

The downside is that the space available for storage trolleys is reduced by the width of the loo.  Something has to give, and that ‘something’ is the cart containing the shopping items.

Shopping will remain on the aircraft which have yet to be converted, but as this becomes a bit of a lottery I would suggest that you make your giant Toblerone purchases in the terminal instead.

To be honest, I am surprised that in-flight shopping has survived so long.  Sales always seemed minimal on short-haul flights.  Has anyone at BA ever done the maths on the fuel burn generated by an additional heavy trolley and the brochures?

I can’t help thinking that whatever profit is generated from in-flight sales would be eaten up by fuel costs, and that is before you factor in the crew time required at a time when some flights are struggling to serve all ‘buy on board’ customers.

And newspaper changes too …..

Change is also coming to the British Airways newspaper selection.

From TODAY, the Daily Telegraph will no longer be available on board, in British Airways lounges or at the gates.

From 23rd December, the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday will no longer be offered.

British Airways says that this is due to the scrapping of bulk distribution deals by these two titles.  If this is accurate then they are also likely to disappear from hotel lobbies and other airport lounges amas well.

Other newspapers, primarily The Times and Financial Times, will continue to be offered.

My review of the Aer Lingus lounge in Dublin Terminal 2
Bits: 50% off mytaxi this weekend, 1903 Lounge in Manchester partners with SkyTeam, Avis / Emirates deal

Comments

1. Apologies for being in grockel/gricer mode, but according to the Jethros web site, the first A32x NEO aircraft for BA is due in March 2018.

2. Whatever you think of the Daily Mail itself, and I don’t really care what anyone here does think of the Daily Mail because I come here for points info – I have always struggled to understand why BA wanted to link its own brand to it. I didn’t get what was in it for them. I have always thought that BA was quite savvy regarding marketing and brand management – even if the actual product may sometimes disappoint. I can’t imagine that anyone has purposely chosen BA for the free copy, I would think that it’s p***ed a few of them off though, as per the views on this thread. So this has to be a sensible move surely. And to those who do like the DM – I’m sorry but it’s not a premium brand and no-one will be impressed in any way if they see you reading it.

3. BA Points says:

Without seeing people reading DailyMail on the flight how will I identify who the Brexiteers are???

• It’s the bloke/lady sitting next to you

• Anthony Dunn says:

Something I too had sussed!

• Not always a give away. Bizarrely my good mother still picks up a free copy in CW to catch up on “gossip” apparently. She is far from Brexity though you might be shocked given she’s a pensioner and reads the DM. It would be nice to think the presence of a fascist mouthpiece on airliners isn’t particularly beneficial to revenue anymore but sure HfP are careful to choose their words carefully to not offend a potential source of income. Ditto the good state of Qatar’s aviation solutions provider.

• According to the Guardian and BBC it should be quite easy, anyone who is old or illiterate.

And James Dyson.

• Ignore at your peril the votes of any newspaper reader. They are still more likely to be politically engaged than non-readers – and it’s only the votes of the people who do vote that matter.

Only by reading, listening and engaging can you possibly hope to correct their views over time.

I find it a dreary read to be honest. It’s nothing but “The man with a forrin accent from the “Gas Board” phoned me to tell me that there was a virus in the pipeline, I did all that he told me to on the computer and now my bank account is empty! Woe is me and The Royal Barclays Bank of Shanghai has refused me a refund!” Pouting face like a skelped-arse accompanying story….

4. I can’t imagine many people were using the service anyway and BA had to cart all that gumpf around constantly.
    I won’t miss it.
    Would rather this goes than something more important.

5. There’s nothing more satisfying than reading the mail in F! Just for the looks.

6. But the something important, namely the free sandwich or meal plus tea or coffee and soft drink or wine or gin and tonic etc, has already gone.

So what is the difference now between BA (short haul) and Easyjet or Norwegian? As far as I can see it the only difference is that only BA flies out of Heathrow but that only Norwegian offers free wifi.

• Catalan says:

Why should it be different? There’s no money in shorthaul unless you’re a LLC. Most of BA’s shorthaul traffic is from transferring passengers to/from its longhaul network. Point to point traffic works only on LLCs like easyJet/Ryanair, as Virgin discovered when its Little Red project failed. They had no feeder traffic!

• Then why no Man-Gatwick shuttle any more? They must have lost so much of their Caribbean business when they cancelled this service.

• The_real_a says:

There is none. I came to this realisation about 8-9 years ago. Ryanair/easy/wizz + priority pass + priority boarding is far more comfortable than BA. The only reason i flew BA for so long was because heathrow happened to be incredably convienient. Now im up north, short haul airlines are just a bus.

7. The_real_a says:

You all sound like old farts! Printed words on physical paper? Good lord how 20th century… 😉

8. Briandt says:

I think you may find that most readers turn right, while the smug sumptuous lot turn left.

9. Surprised to see so many anti Daily Heil comments. My gut feel would be that BA pax are a hugely mixed bunch but the loss of the Tory rag and Daily Heil would result in elderly protest from a lot of its very loyal Brexity passengers.

10. Whiskerxx says:

Just wondering if there will be a copy of the Mail in the lucky bag at the Xmas do? 🙂

11. Just because I love it here is a sort of appropriate link

12. I’m fairly sure I have never bought anything onboard a BA flight or any other flights.